• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Virginia Game Review / Louisville Game Week Thread

Agreed. I think it's impossible to accurately evaluate Ruggiero based on the lack of talent we've had the last three years. However, if he were exceptional, or even very good, at his job, we would have seem some indication of it by now. I don't think you need to keep a guy around based on the fact that he hasn't had an adequate opportunity to prove that he's below average rather than outright lousy.

Claude has seemingly been banished from the WR rotation since the first half of the season. I have no idea why Washington hasn't suffered the same fate. Sure would be nice to have Kam Uter right about now.

Wolford should be a RS-SO sitting fourth on the depth chart right now, with a RS-SR, RS-JR, and Hinton all ahead of him. Instead, Grobe left us with a shit sandwich at QB and we're still trying to dig our way out of it. It would be nice if Newman were ready to fill in when Hinton inevitably gets hurt next year, but I have a hard time seeing the coaches going with a RS-FR over a senior with 30+ career starts. Unfortunately, looks like it'll be a couple of years before our QB rotation is really solid.

One under-discussed (IMO) aspect of Wolford's game is how slow his decision-making is; he's slow running the option, he's slow getting through his reads (on the rare occasion he moves off his first receiver), and he's slow getting the ball out to his receivers. On one play last night, it looked like we had something on a WR screen out to Hines, but Wolford was so damn slow in throwing it that Louisville had him swamped by the time he caught it. Even the announcers commented on it. As you said, great guy, and it's not his fault he was forced into so much playing time so early, but he's just not good enough

This is an excellent post.

Maybe. The point is he shouldn't have been on the field.

When has he ever done that?

Maybe the basketball and football teams trade Washington's. Rich could surely catch just as well as Scotty, and maybe Scotty would end up with a few rebounds due to his size. Those that he didn't have to fight for.

ETA: with that said I do think there should've been a pass interference penalty on him. Maybe that was The thinking in having him on the field, that his greatest value is the chance of getting a PI. Not that he is really bringing that value right now.

Last edited:
Back