• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Virginia Game Review / Louisville Game Week Thread

Deac94

Reaction score
“We really said…let’s not lose the game on offense” – Coach Clawson postgame on his offensive gameplan

It may not have been pretty, but it’s hard to argue with the results. The offensive game plan looked like a reaction to the previous weekend. Against Army, the Wake offense suffered from a low completion percentage and was plagued by interceptions. Against Virginia, the plan was keep the ball on the ground – seemingly no matter what. In a nod to the flexibility of Coach R’s offense, out went the 3-WR sets that we’ve become so accustomed to (at least on a number of plays) and onto the field came TE Devin Pike and FB Charles Argenzio to provide blocking for fan favorite Cade Carney and sophomore revelation Matt Colburn. The TV announcers went nuts with praise on a couple of occasions where Coach R went old school with the Inverted Wishbone (QB in the pistol with Pike and Argenzio on either side and Carney behind him in the I).

The overall plan seemed to work well for the first quarter. Wolford (64 yard carry on a broken play), Carney (18 yard carry) and Colburn (13 yard carry) each had their longest runs of the game early on. Carney and Colburn combined for a 70% success rate (which I define as the % of carries for 3 or more yards) in 1Q. However, the stats were more pedestrian the rest of the way – presumably after UVA made some adjustments. After the first quarter, Carney and Colburn combined for 71 yards on 24 carries (just under 3 yards per carry), and a success rate of 42%. Not a terrible result by any means, and full credit to the RBs for battling hard for many of those yards.

Wolford got going a little in the second quarter, hitting on 5-of-6 passes for 63 yards highlighted by a 21-yarder to Cam Serigne (who I think has been slowed by a nagging hamstring injury) and a 15-yarder to Cade Carney (who made a great play to adjust to the ball).

The second half was somewhat of a wasteland offensively with only 79 yards of total offense. The longest pass play was an 8 yard slant to Alex Bachman. The longest run was a 13 yarder by Wolford. In the second half, Wake’s longest play from scrimmage was actually a 15 yard facemask penalty called on UVA.

For their part, UVA’s offense struggled against Wake’s D, but stayed in the game because they were curiously efficient from a scoring standpoint. They crossed Wake’s 35 yard line only 3 times and came away with touchdowns each time. Those also happened to be the only 3 drives of greater than 25 yards that the Cavs would muster on the day.

Remarkably, Wake won the battle of explosive plays despite generating only two (the Wolford run and the Serigne reception) to UVA’s one (a 45 yard reception by RB Smoke Mizell).

The difference in the game was, of course, the 3 turnovers created by the safety tandem of Cam Glenn (who had returned to the game following what looked like a painful shoulder injury) and the outstanding play of rFR Jessie Bates. Bates INT and TD-dive will be remembered as one of the plays of the season, but the fine play that he made on the ball to create the Glenn INT was arguably just as important. (Fun Fact: Bates now has more TD’s (2) than all of Wake’s outside WRs COMBINED (1).)

OTHER NOTES

It was great to see Wake generating pressure with inside pass rushes. Josh Banks was the best DL on the day and Chris Stewart was a force in 3Q with a pass deflection and a TFL.

Patrick Osterhage played most of the way at OC after Josh Harris departed with an ankle injury. A’Lique Terry dressed for game, but I believe he is dealing with an injury of his own.

I think it was nickel-CB Josh Okonye who took over at safety during a brief period where both Janvion and Glenn had exited the game with injuries.

Wake benefitted from a number of drops by UVA receivers.

Wake’s CBs had zero pass breakups on 39 pass attempts. On the season, Watson, Henderson, Bassey and Austin have combined for just 10 pass breakups (an average of roughly 1 per game).

The PI penalties on Watson and Henderson certainly weren’t egregious, but they were good calls. Both times they had gotten too active with their hands. Corners have it so tough out there. Watson’s PI negated what was otherwise a nice play by him.

The holding penalty on Herron that negated the very nice catch by Cortez Lewis looked like a very bad call. Maybe I don’t understand the rule well enough, but he looked like he just dominated the DL on that play.

On first down, Wake ran the ball 75% of the time. On second down plays that had fewer than 9 yards to go, Wake ran the ball 100% of the time.

I counted 3 missed tackles during Daniel Hamm’s 1Q 26 yard punt return.

I’m struggling to evaluate the OL this season. There’s positives and negatives. There are sometimes holes for the RBs to hit, but sometimes it seems like Carney and Colburn are having to create something out of nothing. Some teams (like NCSU) clearly felt that they had to blitz to get pressure. Our tackles (especially Herron) are actually really good at keeping DEs in front of them – even if they initially get the edge. But it was really apparent in the UVA game how much our OLs can get pushed back into Wolford’s passing lanes, and how quickly that push can flush him from the pocket. There’s been so much improvement this year, but obviously still the need for more.

Next to the Bates pick-6, my favorite moment might have been when Wake’s punt return unit – with the game safely in-hand - did a sideline parody of UVA’s annoying midfield jump around. Complete with water throwing etc. Good times.

Congrats to the staff on the bowl bid and the renewed sense of momentum within the program. I’m of the view that success should be measured by bowl wins and Wake will get a chance to just that this year. I’ve noted in the recruiting thread before that the recruits that I’ve followed on Twitter seem to watch ALL of the bowl games and for that reason I’ve hated that we haven’t been part of it over the past few years.

Last edited:
Thanks for the write-up, 94. If we had just had this exact same gameplan a week ago, I think we beat Army by 10+. Live and learn.

I don't really like "let's play not to lose" and don't think that's a way to build a program or game plan against anyone. That's a reductive view, I'm sure, of his overall plan. Still doesn't quite feel good.

If your QB is limited that's what you do. I just hope that when we have a guy who is more dynamic we aren't playing not to lose.

I don't really like "let's play not to lose" and don't think that's a way to build a program or game plan against anyone. That's a reductive view, I'm sure, of his overall plan. Still doesn't quite feel good.

I thought the game plan was fascinating from two perspectives. One, the coaching staff correctly calculated that it could be enough to get us past Virginia. Second, it's unlikely that using that game plan again will get us many more wins.

The offense playing not to lose means let's not turn the ball over. The defense is good enough to give us opportunities at the end in pretty much all of our games. It's not a terrible gameplan given our offensive deficiencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least he's not beating around the bush and is acknowledging there is a serious problem.

Really too bad we have struggled to get Hines and Lewis the ball. They were much more productive last year on a much worse team. I hate to play arm-chair playcaller, but really wish we would find more creative ways to get them the ball (screens, end around etc). They are dynamic, particularly Hines, but they dont get the ball nearly enough. They need 10-15 touches combined per game.

I sure hope we figure out a way to minimize the ability of the backside DE to make plays on our delayed running plays. It seems that every time we pull the TE and/or tackle, the DE gets a free run behind the LOS and is able to track down the RB before they can ever really get going. I'm not sure if someone is missing an assignment, if the hand-offs are taking too long (have to give the pulling linemen time to get around the LOS), or if it is just a matter of us continuously running a play that has little chance to work because of a defensive adjustment.

I sure hope we figure out a way to minimize the ability of the backside DE to make plays on our delayed running plays. It seems that every time we pull the TE and/or tackle, the DE gets a free run behind the LOS and is able to track down the RB before they can ever really get going. I'm not sure if someone is missing an assignment, if the hand-offs are taking too long (have to give the pulling linemen time to get around the LOS), or if it is just a matter of us continuously running a play that has little chance to work because of a defensive adjustment.

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. I watched one play a few times to try to figure out what happened. Herron seemingly left his DL unblocked. In the end, I convinced myself that Herron wouldn't have left him if the guy was really his responsibility. I think it was just a four man rush. Had to have been a blown assignment.

There was another play where I thought the DL was going to take the handoff from Wolford because he got into the backfield so quickly.

The offense playing not to lose means let's not turn the ball over. The defense is good enough to give us opportunities at the end in pretty much all of our games. It's not a terrible gameplan given our offensive deficiencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least he's not beating around the bush and is acknowledging there is a serious problem.

Yep. Force the other team to score on your Top 20 defense. Don't give them chances.

Don't the unnecessary risks. Sadly, that cuts out Lewis in our deep game at least with Wolford at QB.

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. I watched one play a few times to try to figure out what happened. Herron seemingly left his DL unblocked. In the end, I convinced myself that Herron wouldn't have left him if the guy was really his responsibility. I think it was just a four man rush. Had to have been a blown assignment.

There was another play where I thought the DL was going to take the handoff from Wolford because he got into the backfield so quickly.

I think it's by design. The plan is for the ball carrier to outrun the backside DE. Problem is the plays develop slowly.

I think it's by design. The plan is for the ball carrier to outrun the backside DE. Problem is the plays develop slowly.

Agree. That design works if you run outside at least on occasion so the DE has to stay honest, but when every running play is between the tackles, the unblocked DE is going to say "F-this, I'm not staying home any more; I'm crashing in and making tackles" which is exactly what happened in the 2nd half. Kept waiting for WF to take advantage of luring the DEs in, by running an orbit (or jet sweep or even have Wolford fake the handoff, and run outside himself) out of the same formation, but it never happened.

Last edited:
Hate the slow developing running plays. If UVA's linemen can catch us from behind-- God help us against Louisville and Clemson! I also would like to see some orbit sweeps or even a reverse or two. Take advantage of the defensive end crashing inside. Have Wolford take the ball away and flip it to Lewis or Hines

Hate the slow developing running plays. If UVA's linemen can catch us from behind-- God help us against Louisville and Clemson! I also would like to see some orbit sweeps or even a reverse or two. Take advantage of the defensive end crashing inside. Have Wolford take the ball away and flip it to Lewis or Hines

One of the reasons the plays develop so slowly is because Wolford can't read the defensive end quick enough. He holds the ball in the rb belly too damn long.

The play kind of has to develop slowly, since you have a pulling tackle (and maybe even TE) that has to chug down the whole LOS to be the lead blocker.

The problem is the two point stances that the OL is in. When they run the counter-tre, the old Redskin play were the 2 back side OLs pull and lead the convoy for the Diesel. As they pivot and pull inside, the other linemen are pushed back into the backfield. This makes them cut deeper into the backfield, and the ball carrier has to wait for them to clear out. And just like when Lawrence Taylor used to run down the back from behind, UVa was able to do the same. I counted dozens of times a UVa DL had his shoulder into the chest of a Deacon OL. This was caused by the 2 point stance. All leverage is lost and the OL is helpless.

" Kept waiting for WF to take advantage of luring the DEs in, by running an orbit (or jet sweep or even have Wolford fake the handoff, and run outside himself) out of the same formation, but it never happened. "

Perhaps we'll use these type of plays against Louisville / Clemson. With such a talent disadvantage now would be the time to use the "bag of tricks" especially since they have no film of us using those plays. Same holds true of using Kearns if we fall behind big. Perhaps he has been showing something in practice but we don't want anyone to know that. Let us hope that on the scout team Newman has been able to closely emulate Lamarr's play. You are only as good as the competition you get from the scout team.

We have run so many different formations this season, but seemingly none of worked. The problem seems to be less with our formations and more with our personnel at this juncture.

I expect there to be a sizable step forward next year, as we return everybody sans Hayworth and Harris.

Notes from yesterday’s press conference:

Plan had been to start Hinton against Virginia. They put him into his first live action scrimmage and he looked great on the first play. Hurt his knee again on the third play.

Kyle Driscoll is the third quarterback.

Ryan Janvion is out for Saturday. Cam Glenn is questionable. Okonye would likely start if Glenn can’t go.

A’Lique Terry had back spasms last week. May have given Osterhage his opportunity, but may have moved ahead of Terry now.

Back