• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

VOTE AGAINST

I'm not sure it was. I believe he was just calling a spade a spade. If somebody is being bigoted, and you call them a bigot, does that make you full of hate?

One of the biggest problems with Christianity today is that people like those are very vocal and get the headlines. And the moderate, reasonable Christians just stand by because "Everybody has their own opinion." No. Fuck that. If somebody is being hateful, it is RIGHT to call them out on it. Standing by and letting them talk just empowers them to spew MORE hate. The only way to break the cycle is to tell them, and everybody else that they are flat, dead wrong.

History repeats itself. 175 years ago, a good part of the nation was convinced that slavery was morally wrong, but convinced themselves that "live and let live" was a good strategy for living peacefully with their Southern neighbors. 70-80 years ago, a good part of this nation, including many Southerners, were convinced that racism was morally wrong, but convinced themselves (or allowed themselves to be convinced) that "separate but equal" could work out. In the 50s and 60s there were those in Congress who voted against the Civil Rights Act on the grounds that it was a state issue and that every state and every person was entitled to discriminate if that's what the majority in that state wanted or that's how the person's "conscience" guided him (not saying these Congressmen weren't closeted racists but that was the stated position).

We are at that same place with gay rights. We're just a few years in front of the tipping point at which a majority will come to believe that continuing to discriminate against gay and lesbian people is morally wrong, and we'll look back at this era in 20-30 years and say "what the hell were people thinking".

Hate-filled.

You're right. I hate that dude, and if there's a hell he'll be burning in it.

And you should definitely be focusing your attacks on me. One of the biggest problems in our country today is anonymous message board postings critical of the linguistics of pastors who want to herd entire groups of gays like cattle and electrify them. Much bigger than the problem of amending constitutions to codify discrimination against an entire group of people. Nail/head Shortmeister.

History repeats itself. 175 years ago, a good part of the nation was convinced that slavery was morally wrong, but convinced themselves that "live and let live" was a good strategy for living peacefully with their Southern neighbors. 70-80 years ago, a good part of this nation, including many Southerners, were convinced that racism was morally wrong, but convinced themselves (or allowed themselves to be convinced) that "separate but equal" could work out. In the 50s and 60s there were those in Congress who voted against the Civil Rights Act on the grounds that it was a state issue and that every state and every person was entitled to discriminate if that's what the majority in that state wanted or that's how the person's "conscience" guided him (not saying these Congressmen weren't closeted racists but that was the stated position).

We are at that same place with gay rights. We're just a few years in front of the tipping point at which a majority will come to believe that continuing to discriminate against gay and lesbian people is morally wrong, and we'll look back at this era in 20-30 years and say "what the hell were people thinking".

Great post

And you should definitely be focusing your attacks on me. One of the biggest problems in our country today is anonymous message board postings critical of the linguistics of pastors who want to herd entire groups of gays like cattle and electrify them. Much bigger than the problem of amending constitutions to codify discrimination against an entire group of people. Nail/head Shortmeister.

Hate is a strong word. I thought only bigots used the word hate. Maybe they do.

PLEASE LETS NOT COMPARE GAY RIGHTS TO SLAVERY.
Gay rights is mostly about money.

OK, I think I've got it now.

Generally speaking, hate is bad. And when people like that pastor engage in "hate speech, we call them on it. But for us, since we're on the correct side of the issue, hate is good. We should express our hate, wishing for people to burn in hell.

Did I get it right?

"...Forty years ago, they would've hung 'em -- bless God -- from a white oak tree," Worley said in a 1978 sermon that the Providence Road Baptist Church has posted on its website, according to Good As You.

Nobody is saying that lack of marriage equality for gays is on the same moral level as enslaving a whole race of human beings. Just that attitudes about gay people are changing, and that the process of change is comparable to the process of change that took place historically around race. Maybe a more apt, and less loaded, comparison would be attitudes about interracial marriage.

Generally speaking, hate is bad. And when people like that pastor engage in "hate speech, we call them on it. But for us, since we're on the correct side of the issue, hate is good. We should express our hate, wishing for people to burn in hell.

Did I get it right?

seems pretty right to me.

total BS....in over two dozen states landlords can discriminate against people just because they are gay.

In close to thirty states you can be fired just for being gay.

Gay people can be denied mortgages in many states.

Many states ban gay people from adopting children.

It's very clear that the RW in America aren't conservative at all. They don't believe that "all men are created equal and endowed by their creator with certain unaliaenable rights. Among them are life liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

The RW believes only straight people have the right to pursue happiness in this country.

Did I get it right?

If somebody has the opinion that some of my best friends and some of the people I care about the most are less than human, why should I even dignify that with reason and logic?

Shorty's argument is just another version of the awful "if you hate bigots, then you're a bigot too"argument. It's just another tool that the silent, moderate majority of Christians/Republicans use to allow people like this pastor to continue spewing hate speech and minimize the people working for equality

Shorty's argument is just another version of the awful "if you hate bigots, then you're a bigot too"argument. It's just another tool that the silent, moderate majority of Christians/Republicans use to allow people like this pastor to continue spewing hate speech and minimize the people working for equality

I think Shorty is simply pointing out how two faced and quite frankly ignorant it is to bitch about hate speech while engaging in hate speech.

I think you guys are confused. calling one person an asshole is not hate speech. Saying it about a whole group of people is.

It would have been hate speech if Shoo had said "this guy sucks because he is an old white Christian." That's not what he did. He basically said "this guy sucks because of his hateful beliefs." That is not hate speech

Last edited:
Back