• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

VOTE AGAINST

You can call someone out on their hate speech and should. But in doing so you should avoid becoming just like them.

It would take a lot for me to become just like them. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you're a lot closer to being just like them than I am.

Do you define evil as someone who doesn't share your exact views? I think slavery is evil, I think Hiller and Stalin were evil. I don't think that the NC general assembly is evil. I disagree with them on amendment one but that does not make them evil.

Do you hate Hitler and Stalin and slavery?

But it's not like gays got together and elected shoo to be the spokesperson fire marriage equality.

They are wise not to. I would take all similar preachers, put them in an electrified cage, and force them to cycle between watching Queer Eye and Will and Grace episodes Clockwork Orange style.

I agree. But it's not like gays got together and elected shoo to be the spokesperson fire marriage equality. He's just a dude responding on a message board. And the fact that you and Shorty focused on his response rather than the pastor's hate speech is another example of the tacit approval that many in this country give to this kind of hate.

By tacit approval, I don't mean you agree with him, but that shifting the focus to someone else rather than the one showing the hate allows the hate speech to continue unabated

Bullshit. I have never hinted at approval, tacit or otherwise, of the vile rhetoric coming from ignorant people like that pastor. I wouldn't expect you look back through a 2300-post thread, but I have stated my disagreement with the amendment several times. It is clearly a violation of the rights of one group of people.

I am simply saying that hating people who hate accomplishes nothing. In fact, it will only make matters worse.

total BS....in over two dozen states landlords can discriminate against people just because they are gay.

In close to thirty states you can be fired just for being gay.

Gay people can be denied mortgages in many states.

Many states ban gay people from adopting children.

It's very clear that the RW in America aren't conservative at all. They don't believe that "all men are created equal and endowed by their creator with certain unaliaenable rights. Among them are life liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

The RW believes only straight people have the right to pursue happiness in this country.

Thanks RJ for making my point. You argue landlord discrimination, job security, and mortage discrimation; all these are about money. I give you the adoption problem. My comment stated mostly.

Thanks RJ for making my point. You argue landlord discrimination, job security, and mortage discrimation; all these are about money. I give you the adoption problem. My comment stated mostly.

Are you saying that these backwards ass southerners don't want to extend protections to gay people because... of economics? Really?

Since when is landlord evicting or refusing to rent to a tenant based on sexuality (real or perceived) about economics?

You are also aware that the US still also has a ban on blood donations by LGBT, right?

Do you hate Hitler and Stalin and slavery?

Hitler and Stalin are both dead and I am of the opinion that the world is a better place for that. Not sure that I hate them at this time, they are already dead and hate requires effort. I do believe that slavery is evil and that as a country we do not use our position as a world power to do enough to erradicate it. I think you could safely say that I do hate slavery.

It would take a lot for me to become just like them. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you're a lot closer to being just like them than I am.

By them, are you classifing me like Hitler, Stalin and slave owners or like the crazy preacher? I just like to know which comparision you were attempting to insult me with.

The decision years ago by the religious right to inject their religious views into the political process is the biggest single reason for the anger & division in the country today. The Religious Right is, basically, America's Taliban.

So your solution to that is to become just like "America's Taliban" yourself just from the other political extreme. Sounds like a plan, not a good plan but a plan all the same.

By them, are you classifing me like Hitler, Stalin and slave owners or like the crazy preacher? I just like to know which comparision you were attempting to insult me with.

It was your them and you were talking about the preacher, whom you compared me to.

It was your them and you were talking about the preacher, whom you compared me to.

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I could be more like the preacher than you. I disagree with him on the gay marriage issue and think his overall view of homosexuals is disturbing to say the least. I do not do well speaking in public but his oratory powers were not overwhelming either. I am white and oldish. Not knowing you at all it is really hard for me to tell. I didn't mean to compare you to him, I meant to imply that spewing hate at him like he was spewing isn't a particularly effective tactic.

Last edited:
Since when is landlord evicting or refusing to rent to a tenant based on sexuality (real or perceived) about economics?

You are also aware that the US still also has a ban on blood donations by LGBT, right?

No, I did not know about the blood ban. What is the rationale for that?

What I'm really worried about is that, as demonstrated by these pastors, bigots now feel more empowered because of this vote. I'm afraid this could lead to a LOT more harassment, bullying, and abuse of LGBT teens and young adults

No, I did not know about the blood ban. What is the rationale for that?

I would guess it is based on the stigma that AIDS is more prevelant in the gay community. I don't know numbers on the disease's occurence in said demographic, but I would guess numbers do not back up the stigma. I am no expert, though.

What I'm really worried about is that, as demonstrated by these pastors, bigots now feel more empowered because of this vote. I'm afraid this could lead to a LOT more harassment, bullying, and abuse of LGBT teens and young adults

I've been wondering about this. Is it possible that if what you say occurs, the empowered feel it's okay to bully these people out in the open, is THAT the tipping point where people start to say "This isn't okay...nobody deserves to be treated this way." If it's not behind the cloth any more, if it's out in the open, on the evening news, in the newspaper, is that when people open their eyes, or does it have the opposite effect?

The decision years ago by the religious right to inject their religious views into the political process is the biggest single reason for the anger & division in the country today. The Religious Right is, basically, America's Taliban.

The biggest single reason for anger and division in this country today was the Great Society authored by the worst president in our history, LBJ. Worst until Obama, at least.

Bigots on which side of the issue?

Back