• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Voter ID laws would have prevented 31 cases from 1 BILLION votes

Take a look at the 10 Alabama counties with the highest percentage of non-white registered voters. That's Macon, Greene, Sumter, Lowndes, Bullock, Perry, Wilcox, Dallas, Hale, and Montgomery, according to the Alabama Secretary of State's office. Alabama, thanks to its budgetary insanity and inanity, just opted to close driver license bureaus in eight of them. All but Dallas and Montgomery will be closed.
Every single county in which blacks make up more than 75 percent of registered voters will see their driver license office closed. Every one.
Look at the five counties that voted most solidly Democratic? Macon, Greene, Sumter, Lowndes and Bullock counties all had their driver license offices closed.
http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/09/alabama_sends_message_we_are_t.html

He recommending closing all but 4 offices which are located in the 4 largest cities in AL (Mobile, Mkntgomery, Birmingham, Huntsville). Look at a map of AL. Those cities are on the interstate and most centrally located for all Alabamians whether black, white, brown, red, orange, purple. Is there anything in the world you don't see other than through the lens of racism? Perhaps AL is simply attempting to demonstrate fiscal responsibility. Like many other states, AL is facing s budgetary crisis. Cuts must be made or taxes raised. Which side of the fence do you think the majority of Alabamians are on?

He recommending closing all but 4 offices which are located in the 4 largest cities in AL (Mobile, Mkntgomery, Birmingham, Huntsville). Look at a map of AL. Those cities are on the interstate and most centrally located for all Alabamians whether black, white, brown, red, orange, purple. Is there anything in the world you don't see other than through the lens of racism? Perhaps AL is simply attempting to demonstrate fiscal responsibility. Like many other states, AL is facing s budgetary crisis. Cuts must be made or taxes raised. Which side of the fence do you think the majority of Alabamians are on?

The side that makes it harder for black folks to vote, of course.

Yeah, why can't you poor rural folks just get on an interstate and drive to the city, huh?

You don't have a car? No problem, just use that great public transportation system that Alabama is famous for

Why should the cuts make it harder for people to vote?

People shouldn't have to drive upwards of 1.5-2 hours just to go to the DMV, especially if voting is connected to having a drivers license.

Last edited:
Yeah but just think how tough HowardDeanSux has it being in the BOTTOM half of the top 1%. Sometimes you need a little perspective.

I voted one stop in North Carolina today. After showing my photo ID, I had to sign a piece of paper verifying my address. They then wrote the number from that form on my ballot. Couldn't that be used to track who each person votes for?

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott tweets that "Texas will continue to crack down on voter fraud." with a link to this article from The Dallas Morning News that includes the following:

“Leaders of the other party are against efforts to crack down on voter fraud,” Abbott said. “The fact is voter fraud is rampant.”

There have been more than 80 cases of voter fraud prosecuted in Texas since 2002, a Politifact report found last year. Only a handful of those cases involved the kind of in-person voter fraud that Texas’ voter ID law aims to stop.

The article links to research that states:

You're more likely to get struck by lightning in Texas than to find any kind of voter fraud.

Well done, Governor.

Back