• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Voter ID laws would have prevented 31 cases from 1 BILLION votes

The stated (lol) purpose of voter ID is identification not residency. otherwise passports wouldn't be acceptable

So you're saying that a stated, politically loaded response is unreliable. Will wonders never cease...

You lose certain rights when you are convicted of a felony. I believe the theory behind it is that your judgment has been demonstrated to be questionable so as not to be trusted with certain responsibilities. In most states, a convicted felon can never buy a gun or serve on a jury either.

So every crime deserves some sort of life sentence essentially is what you are saying.

So every crime deserves some sort of life sentence essentially is what you are saying.

No, I am saying that committing a felony has lifetime consequences. I wouldn't call not serving on a jury a "sentence", but however you want to stretch it.

So you're saying that a stated, politically loaded response is unreliable. Will wonders never cease...

afro-shaking-head-no.gif

i don't have a problem with felons being denied the right to vote. What I have a problem with is the staggering number of low-level, non-violent crimes that are categorized as felonies, non-violent drug offenses being the most obvious but by no means the only example.

i don't have a problem with felons being denied the right to vote. What I have a problem with is the staggering number of low-level, non-violent crimes that are categorized as felonies, non-violent drug offenses being the most obvious but by no means the only example.

I agree with that.

eh, there may be some correlation/causation issues there. Voter turnout was already comparatively low in many Southern states in 2010, which are also many of the states that have enacted voter ID in 2014. Not saying it has no impact, just saying I think it's stretching to allege causation.

Voter-Turnout-Map.jpg

The chart shows the voter suppression laws worked as designed. With the exception of SC, none of the states that have them in place had as many as 50% of the people vote.

The chart shows the voter suppression laws worked as designed. With the exception of SC, none of the states that have them in place had as many as 50% of the people vote.

You are an imbecile.

I have no problem requiring an ID to vote, as long as there are measures taken to ensure anyone with legal residence can obtain an ID.

I think it's idiotic to remove Same Day Registration, and not making out-of-precinct allowances.

Back