• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Voter ID laws would have prevented 31 cases from 1 BILLION votes

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/19/us/supreme-court-upholds-texas-voter-id-law.html?_r=0

"Those requirements, Justice Ginsburg wrote, “may prevent more than 600,000 registered Texas voters (about 4.5 percent of all registered voters) from voting in person for lack of compliant identification.”

And

"Texans who lack a required form of identification cannot easily obtain it, Justice Ginsburg wrote. “More than 400,000 eligible voters face round-trip travel times of three hours or more to the nearest” government office issuing IDs, she wrote, and they must generally present a certified birth certificate.

Birth certificates ordinarily cost $22. The state offers ones costing $2 to $3 for election purposes, Justice Ginsburg wrote, but it has not publicized that option on the relevant website or on forms for requesting birth certificates.

“Even at $2, the toll is at odds with this court’s precedent,” she wrote, citing a 1966 decision striking down Virginia’s poll tax."

The Roberts Court has no problem with poll taxes and disenfranchising millions of Americans. Roberts, et al, are denying millions of Americans their right to vote.

They are de facto reinstating voter suppression.

They asked me for my ID in PA and I said nope nope nope

VoterIDLaws.cropped.0.0.jpeg

You'd rather be home with Ray?

The ODU study is pretty comprehensive with respect to registered and voting non-citizens. Easily hundreds of thousands, if not more than a million are registered and have voted over the last 6 years. No wonder the Dems want those borders opened wide. These "voters" favored the Dems significantly in the 2008 and 2010 elections.

http://ww2.odu.edu/~jrichman/NonCitizenVote.pdf

"Texans who lack a required form of identification cannot easily obtain it, Justice Ginsburg wrote. “More than 400,000 eligible voters face round-trip travel times of three hours or more to the nearest” government office issuing IDs, she wrote, and they must generally present a certified birth certificate.

Bullshit. You can do all of the above by mail, and it took me approximately 10 seconds to find out how online.

Personally, I've been swayed towards the side that definitely thinks this stuff is a form of voter suppression, however the barriers that are being cited are just plain ridiculous. It's not that facking hard to get a photo ID.

Why do you believe that study is pretty comprehensive? It has a lot of assumptions. The worst part is that it makes assumptions about potential state and district impact by assuming the presence of non-citizens is the same across states and districts.

They make a lazy argument that basically any close race came down to noncitizens.

I don't have a problem at all with requiring photo IDs if they are provided free of charge. I always forget you don't need it and the last two times I voted went to pull out my ID as I was in line only to have the people at the precinct stare at me like I crazy.

Is it true that in Texas you can use your gun registration as voter ID but not your student ID? That's awesomely ballsy.

Is it true that in Texas you can use your gun registration as voter ID but not your student ID? That's awesomely ballsy.

What if I don't have a driver's license, personal identification number, OR a social security number? Can I still register to vote in Texas?

A voter who has not been issued a driver’s license or social security number may register to vote, but such voter must submit proof of identification when presenting himself/herself for voting or with his/her mail-in ballots, if voting by mail. These voters’ names are flagged on the official voter registration list with the annotation of “ID.” The “ID” notation instructs the poll worker to request a proper form of identification from these voters when they present themselves for voting, unless they are a voter with a permanent exemption on the voter registration certificate. The voter must present one of the seven (7) acceptable forms of identification:

Texas driver license issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS)
Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by DPS
Texas personal identification card issued by DPS
Texas concealed handgun license issued by DPS
United States military identification card containing the person’s photograph
United States citizenship certificate containing the person’s photograph
United States passport

LOL

My guess is that it's because the student ID isn't necessarily a state-issued document. And a lot of students probably aren't voters in Texas. I voted in Louisiana when I was at Wake.

Seems simple enough for a public university or college student ID to include residency.

My guess is that it's because the student ID isn't necessarily a state-issued document. And a lot of students probably aren't voters in Texas. I voted in Louisiana when I was at Wake.

Yea, that's surely the motivation.

See closing polling stations at NC college campuses.

Just makes it easier to focus on the integrity of the voting process without the distractions caused by youths. I wish all legislation had the pure motivations of voter ID. Something to aspire to.

CNNand MSNBC are reporting a bunch of big problems with voting in TX. What a shock!

In Houston (a Dem stronghold) machines are down. They are not giving people who can't wait provisional ballots. They are shit out of luck.

Also the voter registration database is down in many areas.

They are also reporting that many people are being turned away from voting due to the new law.

I thought the Supreme Court was supposed to protect the right of US citizens not deny them their rights as Americans.

CNNand MSNBC are reporting a bunch of big problems with voting in TX. What a shock!

In Houston (a Dem stronghold) machines are down. They are not giving people who can't wait provisional ballots. They are shit out of luck.

Also the voter registration database is down in many areas.

They are also reporting that many people are being turned away from voting due to the new law.

I thought the Supreme Court was supposed to protect the right of US citizens not deny them their rights as Americans.

Were you expecting Ginsburg to be personally supervising voting locations in Texas?

Some polling places that were supposed to be open are closed near Chatlotte.

Were you expecting Ginsburg to be personally supervising voting locations in Texas?

No, I expected the five Justices who voted for voter suppression and poll taxes to understand the Constitution better.

Back