• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

VPN's & Other Ways to Watch Wake BBall

DeacWatcher

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
Obviously this subject is going to come up almost every time there is a game thank's to the ACC's worthless TV deals, it might as well have it's own thread.

Can someone(s) please explain the VPN deal in the simplest layman's terms so that some of us who thought we weren't tech challenged (but apparently are) can understand how to hook this up to watch a game? Also if there are other ways around this shitty Bally deal that help would be appreciated as well. If location is any factor I am in SC.

Yeah, I subscribed to the Bally app, but after hearing last night the game cut off at 11 PM, I'm going to cancel. Need to figure out this VPN shit.

I have a Firestick in the living room and subscribe to the Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ bundle. Can I VPN my Firestick or will I have to VPN through my laptop and cast it to my TV?

I have AT&T fiber and use the eero mesh Wi-Fi system if that helps.

Here is my process that uses an iOS device, a smart TV with AirPlay capabilities, and a subscription to a streaming service that allows access to ACC Network

1) Download FreeVPN on your iPhone or iPad. Tap the hourglass at the bottom of the app, watch some ads to build up free VPN time. (Link to app: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/free-vpn-by-free-vpn-org/id1050171910 )
2) Select a region outside your own (I usually pick Chicago, last night I used Southern California because Chicago wasn't working) and tap the big icon in the middle to connect the VPN. The first time you do it I think you have to add it as a VPN in the iOS settings but the app should walk you through this
3) Go into the ESPN app and add your TV provider in settings
4) Tap the Watch tab at the bottom of the ESPN app and look for the game. Once the video is playing on your iPhone/iPad, tap the share button (blue icon below) to send it to your TV via AirPlay

744A0D02-B6B3-44ED-9E10-01F7E935C031.jpeg

What sucks is there's no VPN for AppleTV, so you have to use the on-board TV smart apps or cast like BBD said above.

I didn't try it on the ESPN app, I used the Bally app with a NC-based Spectrum login. My mom down in FL has Bally Sun which had the game but she ended up watching on the ESPN app on her iPad because she said she couldn't find the HD version of the station. But why wasn't it blacked out on the app for her?

Yeah, I subscribed to the Bally app, but after hearing last night the game cut off at 11 PM, I'm going to cancel. Need to figure out this VPN shit.

I have a Firestick in the living room and subscribe to the Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ bundle. Can I VPN my Firestick or will I have to VPN through my laptop and cast it to my TV?

I have AT&T fiber and use the eero mesh Wi-Fi system if that helps.
You can get a VPN like surfshark and download the app on the firestck and use that to watch games on the ESPN having opened a VPN before opening the ESPN app. On the Roku you can't download a VPN app and would have to go through laptop

I didn't try it on the ESPN app, I used the Bally app with a NC-based Spectrum login. My mom down in FL has Bally Sun which had the game but she ended up watching on the ESPN app on her iPad because she said she couldn't find the HD version of the station. But why wasn't it blacked out on the app for her?
I can't wrap my head around this one especially considering I believe you told me before your parents are in northern Florida which should have definitely been blacked out?

I can't wrap my head around this one especially considering I believe you told me before your parents are in northern Florida which should have definitely been blacked out?
yeah my mom is in the Panhandle but she gets Bally Sun on her local TV there. She used her Spectrum log-in for ESPN, which is from NC, so maybe that did it?

So could I therefore try her Mediacom (FL cable) log-in for ESPN up here? I'll definitely try it for the next game considering how the Bally app cut-off at 11. Have never had that issue before and I assume all our other games went over 2 hours.

It would be nice if our fans within driving distance put 25% of the effort used in attempting to skirt the blackout restrictions into actually attending the games in person.
Live in Clemmons, was at the game last night and bought season tickets this year. My desire to skirt the blackout restrictions applies to away games on the shitty Bally platform.

I have had no issues using the VPN, but have yet to successfully cast it to a TV. I have both Apple TV and Roku sticks. Last night it kept casting only audio of the feed but no video. Is that something anyone else has experienced? We have a few more Bally games and although the IPAD is fine, much prefer the TV. I must have casted it 10X and was always audio only with a black screen.

Live in Clemmons, was at the game last night and bought season tickets this year. My desire to skirt the blackout restrictions applies to away games on the shitty Bally platform.

Great - So the above post regarding home games doesn't apply to you. Thanks for supporting the program.

Great - So the above post regarding home games doesn't apply to you. Thanks for supporting the program.
To be clear, how far is "within driving distance" for a 9PM game on a Tuesday? Do I only need to attend home games that are subject to blackout restrictions which would otherwise be skirted? Need to understand whether or not my fandom meets the application criteria for your program support dick measuring contest.

To be clear, how far is "within driving distance" for a 9PM game on a Tuesday?

"Within driving distance" will differ from person to person. Some interpret "within driving distance" as 10 minutes while others might interpret it as 4 hours.

Do I only need to attend home games that are subject to blackout restrictions which would otherwise be skirted?

No - Any other questions??

Back