• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

W-S City Council Approves Purchase of the Joel for $8 million

Biting off that kind of debt will require increased revenue from the basketball venue...don't believe that will transpire under the current leadership.

There is no ACC rule regarding alcohol sales at sporting events (other than ACC championship games and tournaments) - it has nothing to do with on campus v. off campus. It is left up to the individual schools (and their contracts with the facilities in which they play).

Interesting note on this is that when we bought the old Dash stadium, we immediately took out the beer taps even though the Dash were still playing there. Apparently it cost the team a lot of money.

If they are counting on athletics revenues for renovations, lost ticket sales are going to hurt even more.

I'm not renewing my football tickets this year if [Redacted] isn't gone.

Someone should do a season ticketholder poll for renewing basketball and/or football tickets if Buzz is retained.

The $17m per team tv deal more than covers any drop off in deacon club money. RW can sit up in his tower funded by ESPN's TV money and tell the masses to eat cake.

you would think they would want to change coaches so people will actually come see their newly purchased digs

33 acres is huge. That has to include the fairgrounds, right? Are we going to lease that and the Annex back to the city?

Louisville sells everything at the YUM Center. I can't wait to drink about 6 Woodford Reserves while watching the Deacs.

My parents farm is 32 acres. Subjectively it feels like the farm is bigger than just the Joel plus parking but the terrain is very, very different so it could be a misperception on my part.

Man if we owned the space for the Dixie Classic Fair NCSU fans are going to be sooooooo jealous.

While I agree it seems a bit big for just the Joel + parking lots, no way is the entire complex only 33 acres. The fair grounds are huge.

Just sent out this email

Dear Wake Forest Faculty, Staff, and Students,

As you may be aware from local news reports, Wake Forest Athletics and the City of Winston-Salem have been discussing the possible sale of Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum for several years. Pending the approval of the City Council and subsequent successful negotiations, we will develop plans to acquire the Coliseum and surrounding 33 acres of property.

Due to budget constraints, the City is not in a position to make much-needed improvements to the Coliseum’s outdated systems. The University’s purchase of the Coliseum would ensure a suitable home venue for our student-athletes and fans, a viable option for student events and ceremonies, and a vital public assembly space for the community.Our potential investment in the Coliseum will not detract from academic programs or student initiatives. Funding to acquire and make necessary maintenance improvements to the Coliseum will come entirely from revenues of Wake Forest Athletics.
Since its construction in 1989, the Coliseum has been an important venue for the University. This potential acquisition represents an opportunity for the University to consider events and programming for the entire campus community that were not previously feasible.

We will keep you informed and engage in further discussions as plans progress.

Sincerely,

Nathan O. Hatch
President

OK, on the one hand he says that the Coliseum purchase will be funded only from athletic funds, but then says twice that the Coliseum will and can be used for events that benefit the entire campus community. If so, then why isn't it proper to fund it from non-athletic funds?

Not saying I necessarily disagree with funding from athletic funds only, but I must ask: Why can't Pres. Hatch write or talk like a real person? Why does every word out of his mouth (or pen) have to be pre-scripted by some PR flack trying to hit every politically correct note that the PR flack thinks they are supposed to hit? All he had to say was, "We have a great opportunity to buy the Joel, fix it up so it's a real "Wake home arena," and use it to re-energize our basketball program. And don't worry, we are only going to use athletic funds, not academic, so your student fees are not going up and academic budgets won't be cut to pay for this. Sincerely, NH" -- instead, we get the usual PR-written flackery from Hatch.

Last edited:
When [Redacted] takes us to the Final Four twice in the next two seasons, the place will be packed to the rafters.

When [Redacted] takes us to the Final Four twice in the next two seasons, the place will be packed to the rafters.

Well, he's had us as one of the final four ACC teams in the standings for 3 years. . .

OK, on the one hand he says that the Coliseum purchase will be funded only from athletic funds, but then says twice that the Coliseum will and can be used for events that benefit the entire campus community. If so, then why isn't it proper to fund it from non-athletic funds?

Not saying I necessarily disagree with funding from athletic funds only, but I must ask: Why can't Pres. Hatch write or talk like a real person? Why does every word out of his mouth (or pen) have to be pre-scripted by some PR flack trying to hit every politically correct note that the PR flack thinks they are supposed to hit? All he had to say was, "We have a great opportunity to buy the Joel, fix it up so it's a real "Wake home arena," and use it to re-energize our basketball program. And don't worry, we are only going to use athletic funds, not academic, so your student fees are not going up and academic budgets won't be cut to pay for this. Sincerely, NH" -- instead, we get the usual PR-written flackery from Hatch.

I wondered the same thing.

Back