• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake + 14 against Kansas (for entertainment only)

To answer your question, no, Self didn't do that. Self did what Roy does against teams where he benches starters when they're playing awful. Nobody on Kansas had more than six points at the half and then their starters were trying to throw oops for three straight possessions in the second half so he benched them all.

It was a four point game with twelve minutes left. If that means we had no chance to win then we had no chance to win.

It was a four point game with twelve minutes left. If that means we had no chance to win then we had no chance to win.

It was also a 5-6 point game for the last 2 minutes. I watched the whole thing. Wake was in it the entire 2nd half.

Wake had a very good game plan to play zone and dare Kansas to hit jumpers.

Kansas benched their starters because they were playing very poorly, not because Self was deciding what the score would be.

Imagine what?

Us not having a chance to win the game.

If anyone was willing to say with a straight face, at any point in the game, "We're making our victory move now!" they're either A) lectro (stupid) or B) lying. Yeah, we clawed our way close a few times. We should be proud of the guys for such. But no, we were never making a move for the win. Anyone who's watched college basketball before knows this. Hell, it took a series of garbage, uncovered baskets (most by Coron, IIRC) in the last couple minutes to keep it respectable.

Self chose to make the gamble that he could send a message to his starters by benching them without risking to lose the game to us. He was right.

Last edited:
Yuck, I took Kansas -14.5 and didn't catch the first half but had a bad feeling even though they were up 14 at half. [Redacted] fucked me again.

By all accounts is Devin a decent guy but could you imagine the culture club reacting if a Dino recruit pulled that shit today? I could give a fuck about "culture" but Cav and Thomas deserved their techs and Moto probably should have gotten one too. If [Redacted] was a decent leader the players would respect him enough not to lose their shit on the court.

To quote Deman "we won the secondhalf"

Edit: drank too much at dinner to spell correctly

Us not having a chance to win the game.

If anyone was willing to say with a straight face, at any point in the game, "We're making our victory move now!" they're either A) lectro (stupid) or B) lying. Yeah, we clawed our way close a few times. We should be proud of the guys for such. But no, we were never making a move for the win. Anyone who's watched college basketball before knows this. Hell, it took a series of garbage, uncovered baskets (most by Coron, IIRC) in the last couple minutes to keep it respectable.

Self chose to make the gamble that he could send a message to his starters by benching them without risking to lose the game to us. He was right.

Sigh. First off it's not like we are on equal footing with Kansas going into the game. We were heavy dogs. Anything short of a couple of guys just hitting everything, we would likely be chasing KU for the entire game, with the goal of being close enough to have a chance to win. Most rational people would say if you are down 5 with 2min or so to go, you have a chance to win.

No matter, I doubt you could find 5 Wake fans that thought we would be in the game at the end, with the vast majority expecting a 20-30 point loss with the possibility of a late run if KU took the foot of the gas in a blow out.

In the end KU had to play the last two minutes. They had to make their FT's. Who knows if we would have executed and made the baskets we needed if they had missed or turned the ball over but we never got to see that. I don't think we ever had the ball when we were down 5. KU made the plays it had to. So you can discount it all you want, but it was probably 1000% better than anyone, including yourself, expected for this game.

All that being said, the guys need to prove this was not just a one game fluke and deliver against USC and whoever we play on Saturday.

Sigh. First off it's not like we are on equal footing with Kansas going into the game. We were heavy dogs. Anything short of a couple of guys just hitting everything, we would likely be chasing KU for the entire game, with the goal of being close enough to have a chance to win. Most rational people would say if you are down 5 with 2min or so to go, you have a chance to win.

No matter, I doubt you could find 5 Wake fans that thought we would be in the game at the end, with the vast majority expecting a 20-30 point loss with the possibility of a late run if KU took the foot of the gas in a blow out.

In the end KU had to play the last two minutes. They had to make their FT's. Who knows if we would have executed and made the baskets we needed if they had missed or turned the ball over but we never got to see that. I don't think we ever had the ball when we were down 5. KU made the plays it had to. So you can discount it all you want, but it was probably 1000% better than anyone, including yourself, expected for this game.

All that being said, the guys need to prove this was not just a one game fluke and deliver against USC and whoever we play on Saturday.

So you agree with me. You never thought we were actually going to win that game, either before or at any point during.

I asked a question based on info from people who watched it. Feel free to answer it.

I'm no basketball expert but I got the sense that Self wasn't happy with the effort and decided to make a point. The only time Wake made it close in the waning minutes was when one of our guards hit a wild shot.

Self and Wellman have history so he probably figured the best way to really hurt Wake is keep it close enough so Wake retains [Redacted].

At this point I'd be shocked if [Redacted] doesn't get an extension.

Back