• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake 2012 Basketball Class 18th (per CBS)

UNLV, Oregon, TAMU, Washington, Villanova, and Florida are all in the running for unsigned elite talent and could jump us. That's why I was saying that I'd be really impressed if we manage to stay where we are, even if Devin is bumped up as expected.

Elliot Williams hardly contributed to Duke, transferred (for a good reason) and had mediocre stats at Memphis. Olek Cyzk transferred, and did nothing until his senior year at Nevada. Senior Miles is averaging about the same as our sophomore Carson. So Duke got 6 seasons from 3 players, and the best of those is 7 points and boards a game. I'll gladly take 2 years of Al Farouq over all of that.

18 ppg, 4 reb, 4 ast at Memphis is a mediocre line? Please... Tyreke was 17, 5, and 4 and DRose was 15, 5, and 5. I'd say that his line is pretty good based on past Memphis guards... There's a reason the Blazers took EWill at 22. Injuries have derailed his career, but he was a good player at Memphis.

Olek had a good junior year and a solid senior year.

It's a draw, if anything, in my book. One player from each class was a star. I think Miles is better, but Tony basically = Miles. Olek has started both years since transferring closer to home. Ty is still Ty.

You act like they didn't reap the benefits of those transfers, also. Tony and EWill both left roster spots for the respective teams to recruit around. EWill leaving made it possible for the Devils to pick up Dawkins a year early. We didn't get anything from Tony leaving, unless you still love Fields.

Last edited:
18 ppg, 4 reb, 4 ast at Memphis is a mediocre line? Please... There's a reason the Blazers took EWill at 22.

Olek had a good junior year and a solid senior year.

It's a draw, if anything, in my book. One player from each class was a star. I think Miles is better, but Tony basically = Miles. Olek has started both years since transferring closer to home. Ty is still Ty.

You act like they didn't reap the benefits of those transfers, also. Tony and EWill both left roster spots for the respective teams to recruit around. EWill leaving made it possible for the Devils to pick up Dawkins a year early. We didn't get anything from Tony leaving, unless you still love Fields.

I read where Williams averaged 11 a game, 18 sounds a lot better. I'm just looking at the on-court impact each recruiting class on their respective team, and I think AFA gave us more in 2 years than those 3 have given to Duke in 4. Splitting up their individual performance as players in general, Duke's class is probably better. Also, I'm not giving up on my boi Fields, even if he is playing like doodoo right now. I'd be glad to have a 2nd or 3rd string PG from Winston on our team for 4 years, especially one who is fast and can play defense. Otherwise TC is just going to bullrush the basket and make crazy layups on Aaron Ingle in practice, and that's helping nobody.

Dave Telep, at Raleigh Sports Club, was asked today what was Wake's main recruiting actions/positives. He stated 1) the Wake brand (really were student-athletes), 2 Chris Paul, 3) Rusty LaRue was main recruiter in North Carolina.

Also said our '13 class was a 'foundation' class (in top 20) and due to numbers - that class would establish a base but not thrust us up to the top of ACC. He had praise for NCSU's Mike Gottfried for following the Skip Prosser, recruit NC, actions. Said NC (the state) was a player in basketball with about 18-20% of the top talent.

As usual, Duke & UNC-CH going after and getting top people.

Last edited:
Back