• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake and the option

mebanedeac

Reaction score
While the failed attempt at the option has likely cost this year's team any shot at a bowl and a winning season, I do wonder if WF shouldn't not bring in an offensive staff that is skilled at coaching the option and cut blocking. Watching Navy compete with ND at South Bend and watching Wake struggle to find any consistent offense inclines me to think that this maybe Wake's only long term hope.

If the academies can win with the option, we should at least be competitive with it. This year's defense coupled with a strong option attack could have been very good.

However, it is fairly clear that our present staff is not the one to install the option attack.

While the failed attempt at the option has likely cost this year's team any shot at a bowl and a winning season, I do wonder if WF shouldn't not bring in an offensive staff that is skilled at coaching the option and cut blocking. Watching Navy compete with ND at South Bend and watching Wake struggle to find any consistent offense inclines me to think that this maybe Wake's only long term hope.

If the academies can win with the option, we should at least be competitive with it. This year's defense coupled with a strong option attack could have been very good.

However, it is fairly clear that our present staff is not the one to install the option attack.

Between blatant nepotism that has sunk our football program and the hiring of a criminal to count ticket sales, I'm not sure we have exactly created an incubator for fostering new or fresh ideas.

What academies are winning with the option? It makes them sort of competitive and less embarrassing, maybe. After today I might settle for that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Navy almost beat ND today at South Bend.

Remember our visit to South Bend last season.

I am simply saying that the option properly recruited and installed may well provide the best opportunity for us to be competitive. It has worked at Georgia Tech.

Is Tech more competitive than they were before the option? I haven't looked at the numbers.

We would have to have a lights out defense for this. That ain't going to happen. Option teams can also never play from behind. There's a reason why there is only one option team in the acc

Is Tech more competitive than they were before the option? I haven't looked at the numbers.

Depends on how far back you go. But, yes, I think they are playing at a higher level since Johnson brought the option.

We would have to have a lights out defense for this. That ain't going to happen. Option teams can also never play from behind. There's a reason why there is only one option team in the acc

I think that this year's defense would fit very well. Imagine how much better our defensive stats would be if our offense could control the clock and grind out some long drives on the ground? Also Lee demonstrates that you can recruit option QBs with both speed and strong arms.

Football as a whole is moving toward some form of the option with mobile running QBs. This is our best shot at competing year-in and year-out, IMO.

You do realize that we tried exactly what you're saying and it failed miserably.

You do realize that we tried exactly what you're saying and it failed miserably.

you have to be able to recruit for it and to coach it. the failure was due to not having the correct personnel and, apparently, not being able to coach it.

So how is it the answer for Wake to salvage our staff?

So how is it the answer for Wake to salvage our staff?

who said anything about salvaging our staff? I think our AD should make a commitment to find a staff that can install the option effectively.

That's what Wellman did when he hired Grobe.

you have to be able to recruit for it and to coach it. the failure was due to not having the correct personnel and, apparently, not being able to coach it.

So, in summary... we don't have the personnel and we don't have the coaches and we have an athletic director who has gone bat-shit crazy.

We did have a fourth year QB and an all-ACC receiver which were legitimate weapons but instead chose, the first half of the season, to hike a few balls up the center's ass and pitch a few wide from a VERY slow white QB.

It wouldn't be as effective now that GT runs it. Easier to prepare for if you play multiple teams that use it.

Navy beat wake at least twice in the past six years.

Key to option is to have an option QB. Epic stupid move to think t price could run the option.

Worse than joe dukes as CP3 replacement.

Navy almost beat ND today at South Bend.

Remember our visit to South Bend last season.

I am simply saying that the option properly recruited and installed may well provide the best opportunity for us to be competitive. It has worked at Georgia Tech.

It wouldn't be as effective now that GT runs it. Easier to prepare for if you play multiple teams that use it.

That would affect Clemson and one other team every year.

who said anything about salvaging our staff? I think our AD should make a commitment to find a staff that can install the option effectively.

Our AD has proven himself 100% incapable of making competent coaching decisions.

That's what Wellman did when he hired Grobe.

Yeah, and it worked well as long as we stuck with the option game or some form thereof. Not sure that Lobo could coach it. This season would seem to indicate that he cannot.

Back