• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake and the option

It didn't work well. It worked better than we were used to. We still didn't have an offense in the top half of the conference.

who said anything about salvaging our staff? I think our AD should make a commitment to find a staff that can install the option effectively.

I am assuming that you were not around when Grobe was hired? Grobe and company's success at Ohio was predicated on the triple option (wishbone I beleive), and many posters were adamant that he was a horrible hire, based on the fact that "the triple option will never work here!!".

Oh yeah. Of course. Thanks.

For whatever reason, Grobe went away from the option and cut blocking. We once had one of the most prolific rushing attacks in the nation...I don't think that has been true since we abandoned the cut blocking scheme.

I am arguing that it would be easier for us to recruit for the option than for the pro style offense. That is particularly true with respect to the o-line.

Weren't Calhoun's first couple offenses pretty highly ranked?

Weren't Calhoun's first couple offenses pretty highly ranked?

Not really. Better than Caldwell, better than we've done since, but mediocre in the conference and national landscape.

In 2001:
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2001/Internet/ranking_summary/2001000000749.HTML

We had the best rushing offense in the conference and worst passing offense. We were 5th in the conference in total offense and 7th in scoring offense at 26.6. Remember it was a 9 team league back then.

In 2002:
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2001/Internet/ranking_summary/2001000000749.HTML

We again at the top rushing offense and worst passing offense. We led the conference in total offense, but were 5th in scoring offense at 27.4.

With Calhoun, we ran hard and held onto the ball, even racked up a lot of yards in 2002, but we didn't throw up a lot of points on the board. I broke all this down awhile back on a thread I bump with relevant facts from time to time. I don't start many threads, so it should be easy to find. The most interesting stat is that Wake is one of only a handful of teams not to have scored 28 ppg in at least one season from 2001-present. We have one of the most consistently poor offenses in the country under Grobe.

We went away from the option because of Riley. It's easier to find a QB who has an above average arm and great accuracy, then to find all the other players to make an option attack work.

We went away from the option because of Riley. It's easier to find a QB who has an above average arm and great accuracy, then to find all the other players to make an option attack work.

Option? We never really ran the option. It was mostly misdirection with the RB and orbit reverses to WRs. That and cut blocking.

I am assuming that you were not around when Grobe was hired? Grobe and company's success at Ohio was predicated on the triple option (wishbone I beleive), and many posters were adamant that he was a horrible hire, based on the fact that "the triple option will never work here!!".

I was actually hoping Grobe was hired to install the triple option, a la how Johnson was hired at GT later. But then once hired he was quick to say he wouldn't install the option at Wake. I believed that Wellman told him ditching the option was a precondition to the job.

Depends on how far back you go. But, yes, I think they are playing at a higher level since Johnson brought the option.

Johnson .613
Gailey .571
O'Leary .639

We need a consistent identity. It could be the option, but it doesn't have to be.

Pick an offensive identity that values execution over elite athletes (kind of like the option), recruit with that identity and the roles inherent in it in mind, execute to perfection, and don't deviate from it.

Meanwhile, stash your best athletes on defense and special teams, and have a good kicker.

Don't beat yourself with mistakes, and make people dread playing you.

That's exactly what the staff tried to do this season. But the growing pains of switching identity to the option were unbearable.

you have to be able to recruit for it and to coach it. the failure was due to not having the correct personnel and, apparently, not being able to coach it.

So, the answer is firing Jim Grobe and hiring a coach who can teach and recruit a team that can run the option? If so, then sign me up. At least for the first part.

Grobe isn't going anywhere and we're stuck with the players we have (unless we go JUCO). Jim was blaming the players again in Dan Collins article.

Back