• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake appoints Alumnus as New Provost

A friend of mine in college administration at another university told me this was a "walkoff homerun hire" and that Hatch may have just hired his successor.

Jill Tiefenthaler was a total bitch -- new hire can't be worse, glad to have a deacon as a dean again.

http://www2.journalnow.com/news/2012/jan/27/1/wake-forest-names-new-provost-from-nyu-ar-1862784/

Of particular interest:

"At NYU, Kersh helped set up several NYU branch campuses around the world and he introduced the residential college concept to NYU. In a residential college, students and faculty live in the same environment, often sharing meals together.

Those are areas that Kersh may be asked to explore at Wake, Hatch said."

Would certainly be difficult to implement, but would be a long run positive (imo) should Wake head that way.

Residential colleges are academically superior to anything else, imo. Problem is, not everyone goes to Wake for academics.

"Kersh will assume his new duties as Wake Forest’s chief academic officer with responsibility for supervising and administering the academic programs and plans of the university’s Reynolda Campus this summer.

Kersh will report directly to Wake Forest President Nathan O. Hatch. He will supervise the deans of the undergraduate College, the Schools of Business, the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, the School of Law and the Divinity School."

I notice the med school is conspicuously absent. My question to those of you in academia is whether Wake's arrangement of, essentially, running the med school as a completely separate entity is normal or unusual.

I notice the med school is conspicuously absent. My question to those of you in academia is whether Wake's arrangement of, essentially, running the med school as a completely separate entity is normal or unusual.

I don't know how typical it is, but the med school is an entirely different animal, because it's a hospital first in the grand scheme of things. Regardless, we will never resume control of the Med School, so it's a moot point.

At the university where I work, the dean of the med school has reporting relationships to the Chancellor (as head of medical affairs), the Provost (as dean of the med school) and to the hospital board of directors. Those are pretty much separate roles vested in one person, so I think the relationship that governs is dependent on the issue. So no, not that unusual. Med schools are different beasts altogether.

Back