• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2015

Wakeforest22890

Snowpom
Reaction score
Wake won their opener today 3-2 over Delaware at home. Deacs entered the 9th having allowed only one hit total and were up 3-0 but in true Wake fashion let Delaware get four hits and put the tying run on third. Matt Pirro (one of only two seniors on the roster) was the starter and had a great outing while Will Craig (one of the best power hitters in the ACC and a sophomore) came on in relief for a couple solid innings as well. Offense was clicking but couldn't get hits with RISP and stranded a ton of runners (I think ten).

They return to action tomorrow in a double header around 12:30 against Bucknell and then Georgetown when that game ends. All games are at Old Ernie Shore.

Always good to start the season with a win. Two more tomorrow in the middle of the day for those in town.

2-1 through three. Beat VCU 1-0 and lost to Bucknell 16-12. I bet today's game at davidson is rescheduled if it isn't already.

No I don't believe this team will be good. Pitching will likely be a bit of a problem (although today we started our closer Fossas so it's probably not the best game to look at, but Bucknell certainly is). Getting some hits on offense but stranding an insane number of people on base just like last year.

I think Walter is going to be going, going gone after this year unless we come close to the Tourney. Early in the season yet though so plenty of time to improve/progress.

Given Wake's absolutely insane tuition combined with limited scholarships, I'm not sure Joe Torre and Bruce Bochy can get this program much further.
Some things need to change if we ever hope to be competitive long-term.

It is a shame we put so much money into a stadium that is essentially never used by fans.

Prediction: RW retires and leaves a decision on Walters to be made by the next AD.

Given Wake's absolutely insane tuition combined with limited scholarships, I'm not sure Joe Torre and Bruce Bochy can get this program much further.
Some things need to change if we ever hope to be competitive long-term.

It is a shame we put so much money into a stadium that is essentially never used by fans.

So serious question - why does Vanderbilt have such a successful program if they have the same issues? A school like UVA or the cocks I get because of the lower tuition.

And one we're not committed to filling with a competitive team.

There really isn't a lot Wake can do. I'd look into giving out full scholarships for 11 guys and then 70% for the other guy, with the rest walkons. The only hope Wake has is if they give more money than other schools because if we give 50%, player still owes 30K, whereas at UNC they owe 3K or so. I'm a baseball guy, but I'd look at folding program. Losing money, no chance to win. Never thought I'd say it, but Wake has a better shot of winning a national championship at Lacrosse than Baseball.

So serious question - why does Vanderbilt have such a successful program if they have the same issues? A school like UVA or the cocks I get because of the lower tuition.

Good question. Let me know if you get an answer.

Wake has a favorable conference schedule this year but they look like they will struggle. They lost a ton from a good, not great team last year. No answer at the leadoff position for Evan Stephens. Joey Rodriguez has been a strikeout machine. Johnstone was a good midweek starter last year but has thrown bp so far this year. Lots of freshmen bats in the lineup as well. Fairchild seems to be the most ready of the young guys. Small sample so far but lots of issues.

"Some private schools such as Rice and Stanford have huge endowments that help fill in the scholarship holes on their rosters and allow them to supplement their 11.7 baseball scholarships with financial aid that covers most, if not all, of a student's tuition, room and board."

"For example, TCU outfielder Jerrick Suiter, who had a great year as a freshman, could have attended Vanderbilt, another private school that advanced to the CWS in 2011, and received the same amount of need-based and academic aid as he is getting at TCU with a substantial baseball scholarship.

But he would have been a "free player" at Vandy because he would have only cost the program at most, 25 percent of a full athletic scholarship, which is the minimum amount a student-athlete can be given. His academic aid at Vanderbilt would have equaled his athletic scholarship at TCU, allowing the Commodores coaches to use his baseball scholarship on another player. At TCU, the academic aid wasn't available, so Suiter, one of the top recruits in the nation a year ago, was given a substantial portion of a full athletic scholarship."

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/article3831986.html#storylink=cpy

Wake doesn't play that shell game with financial aid that Vandy, UVa, Standford, Rice, etc... plays.

Our coaches have requested we follow their example but our administration refuses. Until we follow suit, there is no reason to fire the coach because our baseball program has a structural problem that won't be fixed with a coaching change.

Last edited:
Back