• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2018

Disappointing year, but feeling hopeful.

Gotta imagine Griff is gone; probably Aiello and Supple, too, but we'll see. Optimistic everyone else will return.

Really think Aiello is gone after the season he just had??

Aiello's stock has fallen, but he will likely go in the first 10 rounds. Really unusual for a college junior drafted in the first 10 rounds to not sign. When the season started, Aiello was projected to go in rounds 3 to 5; now he is projected to go in rounds 8 to 12. The difference in the money is about $100K. While a 100K is a lot, if you are not a first round pick, the real money in baseball is getting to the Show ASAP. Waiting another year does not help with that. Also, college seniors have no leverage, so they get crappy bonuses even if drafted in the first 5 rounds. All of that is a long way of saying, Aiello is unlikely to return for his senior year.

This is correct. As the saying goes, college seniors sign for a plane ticket and a pack of gum.

Head scratching decisions regarding the pitching yesterday for sure.

Yep. Roberts went 7.1 inn today against dook. Walters has some 'splainin to do. :confused:

Edit: Would have been nice to have had something to play for today. :tear:

Last edited:
WF's new pitcher in the 12th inning with a 9+ ERA (seriously) with major control problems (he hits a ton of batters); so, very likely Duke will score.

Duke pitched one of their top 3 starters today and used their #1 bullpen guy in terms of innings pitched for 3.1

this in a game that doesn't matter, when they are potentially playing 3 games to win the ACC tournament

which tells me they don't GAF about the ACC tournament and instead are keeping the rotation going with an eye towards the NCAA tournament

Duke pitched one of their top 3 starters today and used their #1 bullpen guy in terms of innings pitched for 3.1

this in a game that doesn't matter, when they are potentially playing 3 games to win the ACC tournament

which tells me they don't GAF about the ACC tournament and instead are keeping the rotation going with an eye towards the NCAA tournament

I mean I'd gaf about the ACC tournament if I were them. It's not a certain they host, but it is a certain they ain't winning the natty. So, why not try and win the ACCT?

dook bats around in the 13th while we hand them the game with two hit batters on 0-2 counts and two runs walked in.

Football season.

dook bats around in the 13th while we hand them the game with two hit batters on 0-2 counts and two runs walked in.

Football season.

That half inning was this season in a nutshell. The bullpen being unable to throw strikes, but very capable of pegging batters.

If Roberts and Supple both go in the draft like expected, outside of Peluse and maybe McSweeney I'm not sure we have any arms next season. The offense should be better, but the pitching seems to be a big question mark to me. And it was a terrible idea to try and save pitching in the Louisville game. We should have used our top guys and figured out the Dook game later.

I don't see the big deal about pitching Peluse first if Walter thought that gave us the best chance to go 2-0, which had to happen to advance. If either of those guys didn't pitch well, we were dead meat. and scoring 4 runs in 2 days pretty much solidified that.

They did have some good moments, which we enjoyed.
Congrats on those and our appreciation for their contributions and efforts as fellow Deacons. Keep working to improve for next year.

The whole suspension thing of a lot of older players definitely seemed to really put us behind the 8 ball and struggle to build rotation as well as stong line-ups. Not that it would have mattered but you wonder if we would have seen a better start to season and more confidence from team during ACC season if had better continuity.

I remember saying someone that Walters disagreed with admin on how they handled the situation as agree it was a bit mystifying to have such a long suspension and one that was appealed??? Typically see a 1-2 game suspension or someone is just flat out kicked off team, but first time I remember of a month plus long suspension. Was just weird and hopefully didn't sour Walters too much that he will be looking for greener pastures if he feels he doesn't have the school's support in how he runs things.

Also any strong arms coming in with new class that could shore up our situation??

Back