• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2021 | Cusick (1st) + Fleming, Seymour, Menendez, Muntz Drafted

With the number of youth pitching injuries nowadays, I would literally never hold it against a kid to be cautious about the wear and tear on his arm, particularly a kid with significant pro aspirations. Recognizing that a high school state championship is less important than the life-changing money and potential for professional success absolutely does not mean that he is a weak minded competitor.

I'd understand knocking him if he just checked out and clearly didn't care if his team won or lost, but assuming he was there with his team I wouldn't knock him for choosing not to pitch on short rest at 18 years old on the eve of the MLB draft.

I'm dumb ignore me

Ha, I mean I guess I'm cherry-picking here, but to me it all comes down to how much of a competitor you are.

Should be noted that Bumgarner came from no money at all and "risked everything" because he wanted to win.

Ok, I'll stop forreal this time.

Ha, I mean I guess I'm cherry-picking here, but to me it all comes down to how much of a competitor you are.

Should be noted that Bumgarner came from no money at all and "risked everything" because he wanted to win.

Ok, I'll stop forreal this time.

I think making a sweeping generalization is where you are losing me. You just don't know how either of their arms felt on the day of those games, along with plenty of other factors that influence that decision beyond wanting to win the game.

Also it's definitely true that there was a lot less concern about youth Tommy John and pitch counts in 2007 compared to 2021.

With the number of youth pitching injuries nowadays, I would literally never hold it against a kid to be cautious about the wear and tear on his arm, particularly a kid with significant pro aspirations. Recognizing that a high school state championship is less important than the life-changing money and potential for professional success absolutely does not mean that he is a weak minded competitor.

I'd understand knocking him if he just checked out and clearly didn't care if his team won or lost, but assuming he was there with his team I wouldn't knock him for choosing not to pitch on short rest at 18 years old on the eve of the MLB draft.

Or maybe he has "significant Wake Forest aspirations", and that's the reason he sat out...just sayin'.
And it's not like he took a pass on the championship series; he played in the field and at bat in all 3 games.

don't want to derail this, but the hand wringing on pack pride is truly spectacular. some demanding to move to the SEC because it's somehow the ACC's fault that they didn't get vaccinated.

don't want to derail this, but the hand wringing on pack pride is truly spectacular. some demanding to move to the SEC because it's somehow the ACC's fault that they didn't get vaccinated.

Do we know if Vanderbilt was tested following the game?

all the state fans insist not, although it's hard to think clearly when you're trying to hold both a pitchfork and a flaming torch

Tough spot. Reagan was pretty much guaranteed a state championship if Hartle pitches. Their number 2 threw a no hitter in game 1. It's too bad for Reagan but hard to say a weak hitting team with two stud pitchers and no bull pen deserves a state championship anyway. They were pretty mediocre outside of Hartle and Boyd.

I'm generally blood and guts when it comes to this stuff but I have a hard time faulting an 18 year old staring at an MLB contract not wanting to push things weeks before the draft.

Last edited:
Yeah we went to all 3 games. Vibed pretty hard after the no hitter Friday. Everyone thought Hartle was going to start game 3. Apparently only Hartle, his fam and coaches were in the know, because parents of players also thought he was going to pitch.

Carter Boyd is an absolute bad ass and I expect him to have a great career.

Last edited:
Chatted it up with some Fuquay parents in the parking lot and they said they have 12 guys who have already committed to D1 and D2 schools. Fuquay was definitely the all around better team, but as you mentioned Turd, reagan most likely would've hoisted the trophy of Hartle pitched.

Mediocre isn't maybe the best word. I suppose I was just meaning in comparison to Boyd and Hartle who are elite high school pitchers. Reagan's record was a little inflated given how weak the conference was this year. Davie, Reynolds, West, East, and Glenn all had down years so Boyd and Hartle ate the conference up. Reagan didn't hit the ball very well against good pitching this year, and they lost by a combined 21 runs in two games against F-V when pitchers not named Boyd or Hartle were pitching.

It's too bad the playoff schedule meant that a pitcher who threw in the semis would be going on three days rest at most to get to pitch in the state championship, but it looks like F-V was either more balanced or had a deeper pitching rotation at least. I hate it for Reagan as I was hoping they'd get that championship.

have any WF players entered the baseball transfer portal?

Here is a list of SEC players, including a boatload from Florida following their crash and burn end to the season. I have not found similar reporting for the ACC

by the way, MadBum has been a replacement level pitcher since he hit 30, which is PROOF that he threw too many innings as a high schooler and probably cost himself $200 million in earnings

The deadline to enter the baseball transfer portal is July 1.

A few weeks ago, WF OF Michael Ludowig announced he is transferring to VT. I believe Ludowig graduated from WF in May. He is from VA.

Back