• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2021 | Cusick (1st) + Fleming, Seymour, Menendez, Muntz Drafted

I just wanted to make sure Brock stays... Well really everyone else but especially Brock

Cole McNamee has been in the portal, seems likely he'll play his final season elsewhere. None of the eight "seniors" from this past season are likely to be back.

I just wanted to make sure Brock stays... Well really everyone else but especially Brock

The season was such a train wreck that it is hard to find many positives, but WF had a handful of freshman play well in making the jump to D1 baseball. In addition to Wilkin who was freshman all-american:

- CF Lucas Costello led-off for much of the year, hit .279, started 41 games and led the team in steals.
- Closer Eric Adler (2nd year frosh) also made some frosh All-American teams, led the team in saves, including closing out wins over FSU and L'ville
- While he was up and down, starting pitcher Rhett Lowder flashed a lot of talent. He was 9th in the ACC in Ks and shutdown Coastal and L'ville, and he also got a W against NC State. That kid has talent.
- RP Camden Minacci threw gas and started the season with saves against NCAA teams Northeastern and Notre Dame, and then finished the year with a dominant relief outing against Pitt.
- SP Reed Mascolo was solid as a mid-week starter going 3-2 with a 4.37 ERA

While talent doesn't seem ever to be the explanation for the lack of wins, WF does have several solid young players to build around. The question, as always, is does the program have the leadership to win with the talent on hand?

Hartle is enrolling at wake. Really shocked

Doesn't that give him leverage in negotiations with whatever MLB team that drafts him? In the meantime, he can now use the WF facilities to stay sharp.

Doesn't that give him leverage in negotiations with whatever MLB team that drafts him? In the meantime, he can now use the WF facilities to stay sharp.

Seems unlikely that he'd post a video today affirming his commitment to Wake....only to use it as leverage.

Wow. Did not see this coming.

Biggest recruit ever? The dude is passing up big league money to stay with his buds and enjoy the college experience. Mad respect.

Here is a link to new WF's pitching coach Corey Muscara's profile from the MD website: https://umterps.com/sports/baseball/roster/coaches/corey-muscara/1950

Muscara has had a quick rise in the college baseball coaching ranks:

2009: Muscara graduates from Franklin Pierce College (D2 baseball power in NH)
2010: Assistant Coach at Southern NH
2011: Pitching Coach at D1 Binghamton
2012: Recruiting coordinator and pitching coach at Southern NH (they won a school record 43 games and advanced the D2 College World Series in his one season as their pitching coach and recruiting coordinator)
2013-17: Pitching coach for St. John's in the Big East (The Redstorm receive NCAA invites in 2015 and 2017; in 2017 St. John's had the #8 ranked pitching staff in the nation)
2018-2021: Pitching coach for Maryland; Terps had a top 10 ranked recruiting class in 2020; Terps receive an NCAA invite in 2021 (they were also off to a strong start in 2020)

Impressive that he went from a D2 baseball player to a D1 pitching coaching at a Big East program in 5 years. Muscara has continued to climb the ladder from there.

Last edited:
Looks like a good hire. I would have liked to have seen more changes to address issues in fielding base running hitting approach if Walter was to be retained.

Hartle is enrolling at wake. Really shocked

Nothing is for certain until after the draft but I love how he talks about winning a national championship in his video. People in here who’ve been through the train wreck before know this is akin to winning the powerball. Hopefully the kid wises up in the next week, takes his 1-1.5 million and never thinks about wake forest ever again.

Nothing is for certain until after the draft but I love how he talks about winning a national championship in his video. People in here who’ve been through the train wreck before know this is akin to winning the powerball. Hopefully the kid wises up in the next week, takes his 1-1.5 million and never thinks about wake forest ever again.

You've reached a new low.

I don't know who hurt you but it's time to let It go.

Seemed like a negotiating ploy or he’s trying to get to a preferred team. Scare other teams off, sign a deal with the team you want to get to. I hope I’m wrong but we’ll see.

Back