• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball

So, in summary, we've spent six years "rebuilding", proceeded to go 1-2 in the big dance and now will be rebuilding again. But, we have great facilities.

Sounds like a plan!

Wake Forest: Our teams suck and our fanbase is becoming ambivalent, but damn it we have have damn nice facilities!

We have to pick up some pitching from Junior Colleges. Does Wake have some type of ban on Junior College transfers? JC transfers (and transfers in general due to closed programs) is how we made our run in the late 99s early 2000s.

If I recall correctly wake only permits the admission of juco players if they would have originally qualified out of high school. Maybe that's changed or maybe im hazy on the details. Hopefully someone can clarify

If I recall correctly wake only permits the admission of juco players if they would have originally qualified out of high school. Maybe that's changed or maybe im hazy on the details. Hopefully someone can clarify

Yes, that's accurate which essentially kills JC recruiting in football and basketball. In baseball, this rule still leaves WF some solid recruiting options as a far higher percentage of baseball JUCOs do qualify out of HS than in football and basketball. The qualifier rule has been in effect for a very long time and even so, some of the best baseball players in WF history (WF HOFer Cory Sullivan) came out of JUCO. It's my understanding that in addition to the qualifier rule, WF more recently chose to limit the amount of credits that a JC graduate can carry over to WF, and that policy makes it essentially impossible to for WF to recruit JUCOs in baseball because recruits thinking about WF are so far away from graduation (along with the cost of tuition) that they just can't make going to WF work as compared to other schools that accept a far higher percentage of their credits. Maybe the policy has changed again, but that is my understanding as to why WF essentially can no longer sign JUCO athletes in baseball.

Last edited:
Yes, that's accurate which essentially kills JC recruiting in football and basketball. In baseball, this rule still leaves WF some solid recruiting options as a far higher of baseball JUCOs do qualify out of HS than in football and basketball. The qualifier rule has been in effect for a very long time and even so, some of the best baseball players in WF history (Cory Sullivan) came out of JUCO. It's my understanding that in addition to the qualifier rule, WF more recently chose to limit the amount of credits that a JC graduate can carry over to WF, and that policy makes it essentially impossible to for WF to recruit JUCOs in baseball because recruits thinking about WF are so far away from graduation (along with the cost of tuition) that they just can't make going to WF work as compared to other schools that accept a far higher percentage of their credits. Maybe the policy has changed again, but that is my understanding as to why WF essentially can no longer sign JUCO athletes in baseball.

This is correct. Ending the JUCO pipeline we used to have from some of the Cali-JUCOs really set the program back. Four of the regulars from our last great team (02) were JUCO guys.

Got back today from College Station early this afternoon; not a bad drive since the rain was gone! Saw all 4 games on Sat/Sun, missing our opening Fri win. At the ball park from 2:30 PM until 1 AM Sat and from 2 PM until 11 PM yesterday. Was afraid I would jinx the Deacs by heading over, and I did, but glad I went. Great atmosphere except for all the rain and the debacle Sat night. Fortunately I was sitting around some nice Aggie fans. Did not see many WF fans except for some of the players' parents. Minnesota had a small but vocal contingent as did Binghamton. Talked to Drew's mom before yesterday's game; very nice lady. She said he made no excuses, fans didn't bother him (Aggie fans can be rather annoying to opposing pitchers), the rain didn't bother him, said he just didn't pitch good. I knew Aggies are quirky but learned a few more things that are unique in Aggie Land - the bubble machines that some fans hold to spew bubbles every time they score. Think some of them ran dry Sat night...:tear: Then they hold up their fingers trying to guess how many engines the UP freight trains have before they come into view beyond the right field fence. Some actually get excited when they guess right! Anyway, was very proud of our guys though, esp the way they handled themselves in a difficult environment. Just wish they could have played a bit better (and wish I'd gone over for Fri's game). No doubt A&M is 1 of the top teams and they are def looking for revenge vs TCU this weekend in the Super Regional...should be a good one.

I did come home with a souvenir: a Donnie Sellers' served up long foul ball from yesterday's Minn game. Hoping it's value increases over time...:thumbsup:

GO DEACS!

Good report. In my experiences its had to say anything bad about Aggies.

Yes, that's accurate which essentially kills JC recruiting in football and basketball. In baseball, this rule still leaves WF some solid recruiting options as a far higher of baseball JUCOs do qualify out of HS than in football and basketball. The qualifier rule has been in effect for a very long time and even so, some of the best baseball players in WF history (Cory Sullivan) came out of JUCO. It's my understanding that in addition to the qualifier rule, WF more recently chose to limit the amount of credits that a JC graduate can carry over to WF, and that policy makes it essentially impossible to for WF to recruit JUCOs in baseball because recruits thinking about WF are so far away from graduation (along with the cost of tuition) that they just can't make going to WF work as compared to other schools that accept a far higher percentage of their credits. Maybe the policy has changed again, but that is my understanding as to why WF essentially can no longer sign JUCO athletes in baseball.

Thanks for the explanation.

Thanks for the explanation.

That's actually not quite the full explanation. The NCAA requires any Juco transfer to bring at least 12 transferable hours with them for every semester they are enrolled at a Junior College. If a player is at a Juco for one year, there's a possibility they could have the required 24 hours, but it's difficult. Many departments at Wake refuse to even look at Junior College work to consider it for transfer (most departments actually have policies prohibiting it), and even if they are willing to evaluate it, they deny most of it. It is virtually impossible for any student to transfer 24 hours from a Juco and is out of the question to get 48 hours transferred from a Juco if a student has been enrolled for two years.

We have to pick up some pitching from Junior Colleges. Does Wake have some type of ban on Junior College transfers? JC transfers (and transfers in general due to closed programs) is how we made our run in the late 99s early 2000s.

Yes, there seems to be some type of ban going back to the George Greer led ACC champ days when the Faculty Dr/Faculty led uproar over the lights issue then brought a big uproar over the California juco system books they were using not being what they considered up to our caliber [when in actuality many were the same exact books with the same authors we used in our classes]. But they used that as their excuse to shut down our juco stuff and seemingly our athletics have never been the same since, even though George Greer's baseball players were graduating and there were no problems with them. So again, we are our own worst enemy.

Trying to blame a 22-2 loss on coaching decisions is really a stretch. BTW, the score was 6-1 in the 4th with 1 out and a runner on 2nd when they pulled Lopperich; he had given up 8 hits in 3.1 innings. He wasn't fooling anyone. At that point, he had thrown 73 pitches; so, at best he might have gotten through the 5th, and instead of 14-2; it might have been 11-2. BFD.

Also, really don't get the comparison between State's 2-1 win over Clemson after a bad loss to the Minnesota loss yesterday. In baseball, you are only as good as your next starting pitcher (btw, it didn't seem like State's coach fired up the Pack offense if they only scored 2 runs off Clemson's Sunday starter). So, you think had Walter properly fired up Johnstone, he would have shut Minnesota down? Johnstone pitched how you would expect a #4 starter on a college baseball to team to pitch: 3 earned runs in 4.2 innings. Just hard to accept that it was Walter's attitude that caused Johnston to pitch to form. WF performed as expected. Split with Minnesota; lost at Texas A&M (where they are 32-5 this year). It's all hypothetical, but have hard time believing that Walter's "coaching attitude" caused the sub-regional result.

IIRC, it was 7-1 when Drew left. If you don't think pulling him guaranteed a "Hit Parade" by our bullpen, you haven't watch enough of our games against our better competition. Went to about every home ACC game. When the relievers came in early, runs were guaranteed at high rate to quality opponents.

State didn't win. Clemson lost to a N.C. State team that put up 20 runs on them by responding with a 2-1 win over State the next day. They didn't just do it with pitching, but by being inspired by a coach to play great D and demonstrate a resiliency and relentlessness that said, "You aren't going to score on us or embarrass us like that again." This compared to our listless play vs Minnesota....that's the comparison. It wasn't just our pitching but the inability in the playing field and seeing the ball and general focus. I wasn't the only poster who noted the difference. And if you don't think that has to do with the coach's role to inspire and "coach", then we just disagree.

Last edited:
Not going to defend Walter much - I've been a vocal opponent of his but I don't think it much mattered what we did against TAMU. Could be the Minnesota game was us failing to bounce back or just baseball where anyone can really beat anyone. Too many factors to tell.

Coastal Carolina 7 NC State Wolfies 5 final score for those interested

State was one strike away, but pegged the CC hitter on a 0-2 count which loaded the bases with 2 outs. Then all hell broke lose. Big choke

Weird ass game having to go back and start today with the bases loaded and 1 out. As careful as the umps were on starting the game, not sure why the let them even start the 9th. Guess that's the way it goes.

Weird ass game having to go back and start today with the bases loaded and 1 out. As careful as the umps were on starting the game, not sure why the let them even start the 9th. Guess that's the way it goes.

Seriously. Especially since it was absolutely monsooning when they started the 9th.

That's baseball. It ain't over till it's over.

IIRC, it was 7-1 when Drew left. If you don't think pulling him guaranteed a "Hit Parade" by our bullpen, you haven't watch enough of our games against our better competition. Went to about every home ACC game. When the relievers came in early, runs were guaranteed at high rate to quality opponents.

State didn't win. Clemson lost to a N.C. State team that put up 20 runs on them by responding with a 2-1 win over State the next day. They didn't just do it with pitching, but by being inspired by a coach to play great D and demonstrate a resiliency and relentlessness that said, "You aren't going to score on us or embarrass us like that again." This compared to our listless play vs Minnesota....that's the comparison. It wasn't just our pitching but the inability in the playing field and seeing the ball and general focus. I wasn't the only poster who noted the difference. And if you don't think that has to do with the coach's role to inspire and "coach", then we just disagree.

I didn't watch the game and I am not going back to look at the box score. Putting your 2 posts together, it seems they had scored 7 runs after 3.1 innings? That's on pace for about 20 runs over the course of nine. That's about where they ended up. If that is the case, it seems that the timing of exchanging bad pitching for different bad pitching was irrelevant.

tau, don't know if Avent being tossed for the game hurt your chances or not, but in general I'm really tired of grown men in costumes who do that stupid in the ump's face thing; it looks so contrived the manager's part to get tossed.
I'd love to have an ump calmly say "I'm not going to toss you, so when you're done wasting everyone's time here, we'll get this thing started again".

Back