• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake-Boston College Thread

expected Surratt's TD to get a little more highlight love in the college football media

Also BC's gameday ops folks that work in development make Wake's similarly positioned employees look like rock stars. We got onto campus to tailgate right when the gates opened at 11:30. We were told by multiple event staff folks that anything with grass was fair game. As some of the first people there, we found a prime spot right in front of Gate E and started to set our stuff up. It was the closest spot you could get to the stadium and it was next to some other BC fans who were also setting up. One guy from alumni relations came up and said we were lucky to grab a spot and bantered with us for a few minutes (even said they need to encourage BC fans to get there at that point to claim the prime real estate).

About ten minutes later after the entire tailgate is set up (we had about 20 people there already at this point around noon) and a development guy rolls up and says "whoa you guys can't tailgate here, this is for permit parking only and someone has this spot reserved." We just go ask the two guys who are parked right next to the spot if we can use that area since they were tailgating a few spots away and they said go for it - we also were chatting with BC fans next to us who helped us set the tents up.

Development guy then comes back about 15 minutes later with two more guys from the AD as well as a campus cop and says in no uncertain terms that we have to move our tailgate. I ask him where we could move and he said "any other grass, we just can't have you here." We told him that the guys who paid to park there said it was fine and the development guy responded "well it's not his call, it's our call." We went back and forth for a couple minutes and established that we could tailgate literally 25 feet away on another grass strip but just "not right here, because you know, the image is bad to have opposing fans right in front of the gate."

Obviously that was the issue the whole time and he just wanted to see if he could explain it away with anything else. I said whatever we will move but this is ridiculous - block it off or put signs up if you don't want people tailgating there (when event staff for parking, the BC fans, as well as other people who worked for the school said it was fine to be there). Also told him that if they don't want image issues then to get their fans there early enough to grab tailgate spots (and or block it off for permit parking).

Of course after we moved to the other grass spot (and at this point had about 125+ Wake fans there), the BC fans who paid to park next to that grass spot but had chosen to set up their tailgate in the lot next to their tailgate rather than the grass were furious and wanted the same BC development guy to call the "real cops" - not just the campus cops - and then chewed out the development guy for 10 minutes for kicking us out of a grass spot where "still nobody was tailgating and [wake fans] wouldn't be bothering anyone." I did throw in a couple comments to the development guy at that point about "hey great decision moving us away from the spot nobody is using" which just made the BC fan even angrier ("why do we even pay you guys to let us park here if you're just going to be incompetent about handling parking.")

TLDR; BC development gameday guys were shocked fans would want to tailgate on prime grass areas and then randomly kicked Wake fans off the spot we set up only to get chewed out a couple hours later by a other BC fans for moving the Wake tailgate right into their grass spot.

Love this.

What was the first and last name of that original Alumni Relations guy? I mean that guy works with the "Development" guy in the same building/office/department - at least they are on staff together, not faculty - and dropping his first/last name as "he's already been here and gave us a big thumbs up..." makes this an internal cluster for them this week --- you want those A-holes to bicker and fight this week, too, after the game. Makes them look even dumber and more disorganized.

Great story, and you handled it better than I would have.

Didn't catch the alumni relations guy's name but he was definitely cool - said he always regrets he can't have a couple beers with fans before the game.

If anyone was at the tailgate next to Gate E I hope it was a fun time - with so many people it was tough to get around and talk to everyone but hope you enjoyed!

Definitely get a kick out of the fact that they'll have emails and/or a meeting this week to discuss the "massive" influx of Wake fans on solid tailgating spots.

After seeing the replay on ACCN, Sciba needs to work on his form tackling. Our view was blocked by the sideline. As for the tailgate scene, I like Boston more than I like Boston College. You can literally roll out of one bar into another.

After seeing the replay on ACCN, Sciba needs to work on his form tackling. Our view was blocked by the sideline. As for the tailgate scene, I like Boston more than I like Boston College. You can literally roll out of one bar into another.

I'd rather he work on Kick-off distance. Much rather see him watch the official walk the ball to the 25 after he kicks it out of the end zone.

Didn't catch the alumni relations guy's name but he was definitely cool - said he always regrets he can't have a couple beers with fans before the game.

If anyone was at the tailgate next to Gate E I hope it was a fun time - with so many people it was tough to get around and talk to everyone but hope you enjoyed!

Definitely get a kick out of the fact that they'll have emails and/or a meeting this week to discuss the "massive" influx of Wake fans on solid tailgating spots.

Didn't arrive at the Wake tent until about 1pm so missed all this hubbub. BTW, was it on purpose that the BC band kinda pushed the Wake folks a bit during the player 'walk in' ? If I hear 'For Boston' again I think I'll croak !

I also thought Bothroyd being out in the 2nd half hurt us. Tyler Williams played great though, but did get gassed.

He returned to play in the 2nd. And he looked fine post game walking normally to the team busses.

Glad to see Jack used finally. We need to use the te's more

TE can be used to counter the linebacker delayed crisscross blitz that BC used effectively. TE "replaces" the linebacker 7 yards downfield and the throw is quick to the spot vacated by the blitzer.

Back