• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake-Boston College Thread

Think Carney is still banged up. He didn't have his usual burst. That said, the coaches felt turnovers may decide it and Carney never fumbles and as stated above, he is the best at picking up the blitz, which BC did all game, also limiting the possibility of TOs. Even so, Walker is a home run hitter. He can change the game with one play. Would've liked to see him get more carries.

On another note, Ryan Smenda has got to take better angles in run support. I know that AJ Dillon has surprising quickness for his size, but you would've thought by the 2nd quarter Smenda would've learned that he has take another angle to keep Dillon for beating him up field. Insead Dillon kept beating Smenda to turn the corner on too many rushing plays. Hope Bothroyd is OK. Was really impressed with Tyler Williams coming back off injury. WF has talented young DTs, which is great to see.

Smenda is the weak link on D. This up has been a persistent problem with our linebackers. Strnad is excellent but the others don’t have sufficient lateral speed.

Felt like we took something close to BC’s best shot—Brown played really well, the defense was swarming to the ball, their run game is relentless, and they even busted out a couple of trick plays. That was a quality win.

I thought the same thing too. BC had their best defensive performance of the year from a lot of guys - their DBs played great, and we still never trailed.

Long-term, I think Clawson has two weeks to tinker/figure out whether slowing the game down by letting the clock run down and/or running the ball more to protect the defense works. Should we line up against equal opponents and play "our" game which is to fling it and race up to the line of scrimmage and try to get 100 plays? Or is it to do what we did against BC to keep BC's RBs from getting 45 carries and wearing us down? Not sure. My best guess is - you do both. Run fast and don't be afraid to throw the first series. Maybe slow play down from then forward - until you get two first downs, then speed it back up.

I do have faith Clawson will figure it out, but I don't think we DID have it figured out against BC. I did like that we switched RBs within a long drive - Carey came in for Walker and Beal on the 9th or 10 play of a drive and stayed in, but I would like to see the reverse happen. Let Carney bang it down for 8 or 9 plays and then bring in Real Feel (as I call him) Walker to dance into the end zone. At least try it once or twice. The kid is combining the patience of our slow RPO with an amazing burst AND Jitter step. Real feel back there.

I also thought Bothroyd being out in the 2nd half hurt us. Tyler Williams played great though, but did get gassed.

One reason being ranked in the top 25 is good: Wake over BC was the four paragraph lead in the WaPo/AP "National Roundup" in the dead tree edition this morning. Also the headline for the section. Get that pub in the DMV.

I agree. I’m just hoping we can do it. Hell, do it multiple times like with Nate Morton.

There are two schools of thought on a play like that. Either hide it and make it a surprise when you use it or make it a regular play and make the opposing defenses plan and practice for one more thing.

The only play that I really didn’t get was putting Carney in the Wildcat. That doesn’t make sense to me - it’s almost as if we call plays without respect to personnel in the game. Honestly, the wildcat doesn’t make much sense for me, especially keeping Newman in the game spread out wide. The advantage of the wildcat is bringing in an extra blocker for the runner. By keeping Newman in split out wide, we don’t get that advantage. We don’t even get an advantage of the direct snap to a RB, b/c Newman is already one of our better runners and runs with the same style as our other backs.

If we are going to insist on the wildcat in occasion, I would much rather have Hinton back there. His running style is different and the D would still have to respect a possible pass.

Well said. Newman is our second leading rusher and has the most carries. The wildcat makes no sense in general. And running with a former QB is pretty silly too.

an aside: DC’s BC game plan was a general’s mastery of a very formidable opponent.

2006 is in the history books. 2019 is the deal. Question after 2019 will be the overall college and community commitment to WF Football. With DC there is tremendous potential unlike before, unlike 2006-2008, and WF better not miss it.

yeah folks not understanding that we just needed to run the clock down and play the field position game are nuts. That said, I don't understand why on that last drive we kept snapping the ball with 15 to 20 seconds left on the clock.

Went back and rewatched the game. The first two plays of the final drive Wake did snap early in the play clock - 17 and 26 seconds left. The other early snaps were after BC timeouts. No reason to wait. Game clock won't start until snap.

Wake could have burned the whole 6:39 if they had waited to single digits on the play clock those first few snaps

Went back and rewatched the game. The first two plays of the final drive Wake did snap early in the play clock - 17 and 26 seconds left. The other early snaps were after BC timeouts. No reason to wait. Game clock won't start until snap.

Wake could have burned the whole 6:39 if they had waited to single digits on the play clock those first few snaps

We did a similar thing in the UNC game. If we're playing to run out the clock, we need to do a better job of it. Both games could have been less dramatic by simply snapping the ball a little later.

We did a similar thing in the UNC game. If we're playing to run out the clock, we need to do a better job of it. Both games could have been less dramatic by simply snapping the ball a little later.

The only play that was really bad was the 26 second snap. The 17 was from the dead ball after kickoff spotted at 25. The next two were snapped with low teens. 20 sec on second play and 5 sec each on next two plays burns 30 more sec. That would have put the fourth down play with 8 sec on game clock. Punt or run around at that point?

It's almost as if the coaches are saving some time during the first set of downs in case they go 3 and out and need the time if the opponent scores and Wake needs time for a final come from behind drive.

I was at the game yesterday and so I just gave this thread my read-though. Don't underestimate the impact that the wind had on the playcalling/downfield passing. The wind was a steady 15 mph with 20 mph gusts going right-to-left on your TV. On that deep pass Sage dropped, you'll notice he jumped thinking that the pass was overthrown and he was surprised that it hit him in his midsection. Ishould probably have been overthrown, but the wind caught it and knocked it down. BC had very little vertical game on offense. The defensive pressure was disappointing, because BC kept running these slow developing drag routes that got WR open in the middle of the field and we couldn't disrupt it with the rush.

Considering the breeze, I was pleased with how well we punted into the wind during the 2nd and 4th quarters. The last punt that got downed at their 5 was a perfect "get it off quickly and get it high" punt.

I was impressed with BC's game plan. They forced our linebackers to cover the pass and then they had to respect Dillon on the run. Setting aside my game-long clenched sphincter, it was a really good game by both teams.

I was at the game yesterday and so I just gave this thread my read-though. Don't underestimate the impact that the wind had on the playcalling/downfield passing. The wind was a steady 15 mph with 20 mph gusts going right-to-left on your TV. On that deep pass Sage dropped, you'll notice he jumped thinking that the pass was overthrown and he was surprised that it hit him in his midsection. Ishould probably have been overthrown, but the wind caught it and knocked it down. BC had very little vertical game on offense. The defensive pressure was disappointing, because BC kept running these slow developing drag routes that got WR open in the middle of the field and we couldn't disrupt it with the rush.

Considering the breeze, I was pleased with how well we punted into the wind during the 2nd and 4th quarters. The last punt that got downed at their 5 was a perfect "get it off quickly and get it high" punt.

I was impressed with BC's game plan. They forced our linebackers to cover the pass and then they had to respect Dillon on the run. Setting aside my game-long clenched sphincter, it was a really good game by both teams.

The wind must have played a factor, because we definitely had more chances to fling it.

I was impressed with BC's game plan. They forced our linebackers to cover the pass and then they had to respect Dillon on the run. aside my game-long clenched sphincter, it was a really good game by both teams.

Thanks for comments and observations about being there.
I was glad we 'lost' the coin toss so we got the wind advantage plus possession to start 2nd half. I like it that way as I think that gives our defensive staff a bit more time (possession time of other team) to reflect on defensive adjustments needed.
I like taking the wind when heavy. As I recall a prior game with Clemson? at BBT where in a very heavy wind we won toss but didn't take the wind. Not having the wind behind us was a major factor in being down big early in 1st qtr. Big win yesterday.

Thanks for comments and observations about being there.
I was glad we 'lost' the coin toss so we got the wind advantage plus possession to start 2nd half. I like it that way as I think that gives our defensive staff a bit more time (possession time of other team) to reflect on defensive adjustments needed.
I like taking the wind when heavy. As I recall a prior game with Clemson? at BBT where in a very heavy wind we won toss but didn't take the wind. Not having the wind behind us was a major factor in being down big early in 1st qtr. Big win yesterday.

Wake won the toss and elected to defer. Addazio said he wanted the wind in quarters 2 and 4. Thus BC was down early and the wind helped kill Maggio's punt at the end of the game.

Back