• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake-Boston College Thread

As I say each week, my goal is to win the game and have little or no injuries. We did this yet again.
It wasn’t the prettiest, bit I’ll take an ugly win any day.
Besides improved skill and experience, I think our team has a mental toughness that won’t accept defeat.

Now, time to take a breather and prepare for the next segment of the season......one game at a time.

So many mixed feelings. So happy we won the game, 5-0 is terrific. Not at all convinced of how good we really are. Our O-line just worries me against more speedy, athletic defenses and our defense worries me against teams that protect well and throw the ball downfield. All the Jamie Newman hype is horseshit and I hope he's not paying any attention. And being in the poll in week 4 or 5 is also ridiculous to pay attention to. If we're honest we haven't shown the mentality to step on our opponents when they're down early, and we really tend to hang on and try not to lose in tight games. That doesn't inspire confidence. We could possibly win a lot of the remaining games, but Duke looks very aggressive and dynamic, FSU is starting to play a little better, Syracuse is tough in the dome, and Clemson is just gonna be way too difficult in Death Valley no matter what anybody thinks after their game today. And it would be foolish to simply think we beat State or Louisville just by showing up. If we find a way to get 8 wins I think that's a great job by the team.

Worst post of the year. I want that 30 seconds back. Go fuck off

Jamie Newman: 1500 yards passing, 70% completion, 14 TDs, 3 INTs, 5-0 lol

It's like Fusiondad wakes up and thinks "How can I make the most inane post today? Should I talk about how we should retain Danny Manning or pour mouth our 5-0 football team?"

Kansas is now 2-3 and lost to TCU 51-14 last night.

I'm a little concerned that we didn't put BC away much earlier last night.

But, the coaches will be getting the players' collective attention over the next two weeks. We will need to play better than that to go 3-0 against Louisville, FSU and NC State.

I agreed with this part of the post:

"Duke looks very aggressive and dynamic, FSU is starting to play a little better, Syracuse is tough in the dome, and Clemson is just gonna be way too difficult in Death Valley no matter what anybody thinks after their game today. And it would be foolish to simply think we beat State or Louisville just by showing up."

Yes, I'm thrilled to be 5-0 but we have a LOT to work on.

Kansas is now 2-3 and lost to TCU 51-14 last night.

I'm a little concerned that we didn't put BC away much earlier last night.

But, the coaches will be getting the players' collective attention over the next two weeks. We will need to play better than that to go 3-0 against Louisville, FSU and NC State.

Agreed about the playing better. I am not worried about the fact we didn't put away BC last night. Teams get better and although BC may not be a juggernaut, they are not a bad team. It's always close with them. But hell what do I know, Wake is 5-0 and I just sit behind this computer and type. I am just glad I can sit here and be super critical of a 5-0 team going into the bye week. I really want to make the Louisville game. Should be fun.

Being 5-0 is the bottom line and we have shown incredible toughness in several games to make plays when it counts, well done players and staff! The one thing that concerned me was that they were much more physical than us on both lines, hopefully that was just an anomaly.

You don't have to play your best every week. You just need to play better than your opponent that week. I was frustrated with some playcalling during the game as well as the defense, but I am thrilled to be 5-0. BC clearly has improved since losing to to Kansas; they are well coached so that shouldn't be too shocking. Probably good we played them now instead of later.

We can never just show up and beat anybody in the ACC. I don't think anybody is saying some sort of incredible provocative thing when they say that.c

Wake had a very different game plan on offense from previous. Instead of going fast and either scoring or punting in two minutes, Wake went on long sustained drives. The plan was a throwback to days when Wake had good O and pretty meh defense. Offense kept the ball and went on long sustained drives.

The one at the end of the game was exactly what Wake needed to do. Very safe, vanilla play calls. Low risk pf turnover. Credit to O-line for getting enough push against the BC D-line to allow Carney and Newman to get 3 or 4 yards. Three consecutive third down conversions. Burned 6 minutes off the clock when everybody in the stadium knew that Wake was trying to do just that.

Wake had the lead and burning clock was more important than scoring more points. If Wake had been tied or behind, I am sure the play calling would have been more aggressive. (See Utah State game for play calling when Wake needed points at the end of a game.) Best defense against Dillon is to turn him into a cheerleader.

The good news is that Wake doesn't have to face Dillon again. The bad news is the freshman running back (Bailey?) looks like he could be Dillon 2.0.

But have the Deacs played any real competition at the lineman positions yet? BC is always very capable in the trenches, always.

Clawson said in the pregame presser and I’m paraphrasing that if the players think they’re ready for BC then they’re mistaken. Had Clawson taken the usual approach on offense we may have won as well. But he approached it conservatively out of tremendous respect for their physicality and usual discipline. We won.

Not to like on further to that embarrassing LOWF fusion post, but if you watched any of that FSU-State game last night you’d be hard pressed to say anything positive about FSU. That game was shame on both sides.

We’re capable of winning every game remaining on the schedule and also capable of losing them. It’s a division with plenty of talent. Shocker. But scoreboard says 5-0, try to get some enjoyment from that FFS.

Kinda bummed we have the next week off, even though I know it's good for the team. I'm just eager to keep the party going and see how this adventure evolves! (Whispering) there's a slight chance we could run the table ...

BCs offensive line beat our d line soundly, and our offensive line had an underwhelming performance. The difference in this game was our quarterback and receivers. Washington played like a grown ass man. Hinton is the most clutch player so far this season, and Newman is absolute money. Sage had a quiet game (for him) but is the best of the group IMO.

If possible, I encourage many of you to watch the ACC Network coverage after the 3:30 games. There was a discussion of the 2nd best team in the conference. The answer was Wake over UVA as we just went on the road and beat a BC team who played their best game. It happens. They played like shit against Kansas and played their best against us. UNC lost to App last week and was 3 yards from beating Clemson this week.

We’re 5-0. We didn’t play our best game. But we have been the better team in 5 straight games and had the guts to win some close ones. I’m quite happy. (I’d be even more happy for more Walker/Hinton involvement in the run game, but I trust the Claw.)

You don't have to play your best every week. You just need to play better than your opponent that week. I was frustrated with some playcalling during the game as well as the defense, but I am thrilled to be 5-0. BC clearly has improved since losing to to Kansas; they are well coached so that shouldn't be too shocking. Probably good we played them now instead of later.
Exactly. Didn't we best a bad Duke team during our Orange Bowl run by blocking a potentially game winning FG? One game at a time, folks. BC is a tough matchup for us but survive and advance. 5-0 feels damn good.

Exactly. Didn't we best a bad Duke team during our Orange Bowl run by blocking a potentially game winning FG? One game at a time, folks. BC is a tough matchup for us but survive and advance. 5-0 feels damn good.

We also got outgained by a mediocre UConn team when our offense did nothing but we won the game on a couple of big defensive plays.
We also beat a so-so State team on the road when Plack had maybe the best FG kicking game in school history.
We also barely beat a 3 win UNC team on the road.

Back