• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake-F$U Game Thread

If you think "Seminole" is not offensive, tell me what is offensive about "Illini"?

I don't know what their relation is with the tribe. I do know that their chief's dance routine that's supposed to be tradition, was created by the dance department.

"That's great, but who are the Chefs?"

Says the Atlanta Braves fan...not saying it's right or wrong just that someone will eventually claim to be offended and Hannity will declare a war on mascots is destroying America.

Like I said, there are plenty of people who have complained - there were protests (admittedly small ones) pretty much every week during football season when I was there from 1999-2003. I just think there's almost no argument to make when the actual tribe they are named after has given its official blessing.

Like I said, there are plenty of people who have complained - there were protests (admittedly small ones) pretty much every week during football season when I was there from 1999-2003. I just think there's almost no argument to make when the actual tribe they are named after has given its official blessing.

Again I'm not saying it's right or wrong. What tribe are the Braves?

Yep. Illinois was required by the NCAA in the big push to ban Indian mascots to change it. If you accept the philosophy of the non-Indian name crew, a segment of the tribe that consents doesn't excuse the offense.

From the Wiki article.

Ron Froman was later elected Chief, by which time his views on the Chief Illiniwek symbol had changed. His opinions shifted following meetings with American Indian students attending the University. In April 2000, the tribal council, with Chief Froman's support, passed by the margin of 3 to 2 a resolution requesting "the leadership of the University of Illinois to recognize the demeaning nature of the characterization of Chief Illiniwek, and cease use of this mascots [sic]".[18] Froman said, "I don't know what the origination was, or what the reason was for the university to create Chief Illiniwek. I don't think it was to honor us, because, hell, they ran our (butts) out of Illinois."[28] This puts Chief Illiniwek in a position different from that of the mascots of other schools such as Florida State University, whose American Indian mascots are not opposed by the leadership of the corresponding tribes. In 2005, a new Chief, John P. Froman, when asked his position by the NCAA, indicated that "the Chief was not representative of our tribe and culture, mainly because the costume is Sioux."[29] In 2006, in response to a widely published column by journalist George Will in support of the symbol's use, he wrote a letter reiterating the Peoria Tribe's opposition to the symbol and decrying that the "University of Illinois has ignored the tribe's request for nearly five years."[30]

Yep. Illinois was required by the NCAA in the big push to ban Indian mascots to change it. If you accept the philosophy of the non-Indian name crew, a segment of the tribe that consents doesn't excuse the offense.

PS - It's Native Americans now.

From the Wiki article.

Ron Froman was later elected Chief, by which time his views on the Chief Illiniwek symbol had changed. His opinions shifted following meetings with American Indian students attending the University. In April 2000, the tribal council, with Chief Froman's support, passed by the margin of 3 to 2 a resolution requesting "the leadership of the University of Illinois to recognize the demeaning nature of the characterization of Chief Illiniwek, and cease use of this mascots [sic]".[18] Froman said, "I don't know what the origination was, or what the reason was for the university to create Chief Illiniwek. I don't think it was to honor us, because, hell, they ran our (butts) out of Illinois."[28] This puts Chief Illiniwek in a position different from that of the mascots of other schools such as Florida State University, whose American Indian mascots are not opposed by the leadership of the corresponding tribes. In 2005, a new Chief, John P. Froman, when asked his position by the NCAA, indicated that "the Chief was not representative of our tribe and culture, mainly because the costume is Sioux."[29] In 2006, in response to a widely published column by journalist George Will in support of the symbol's use, he wrote a letter reiterating the Peoria Tribe's opposition to the symbol and decrying that the "University of Illinois has ignored the tribe's request for nearly five years."[30]

I've seen arguments that the "tribe" that gives FSU consent is a business interest that is making many $$s from the use of the term "Seminole" and that the tribe that was banished to the Western hinterlands is against the name.

Back