• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Offseason Thread

It seems about right. We have proved nothing offensively over the last two seasons. Once we can get a consistent ground game, we'll be competitive. Until then, it will be a replay of this same bad movie.

Am I reading this correctly that the author is saying that it will be another year before Wake makes a serious run at 6 wins, but then sets the over/under on total wins at 5.5?

Not an over/under, projected wins by S&P. Obviously can't win half a game so I assume he thinks wake will underachieve vs the numbers.

Wake is -17 vs Tulane. Good grief how bad is Tulane? When was the last time we were that big of a favorite against anyone excluding FCS opponents?

I like wake to cover as long as Hinton is the starting QB. If it's Clawsons chosen son Wolford, then it'll be the typical nailbiter against mediocre opponents.

I like wake to cover as long as Hinton is the starting QB. If it's Clawsons chosen son Wolford, then it'll be the typical nailbiter against mediocre opponents.

Last year Wofford started the first game of the season against Elon and had a 70 yard TD run. Wake won 41-3.

Last year Wofford started the first game of the season against Elon and had a 70 yard TD run. Wake won 41-3.

Against a 4-7 FCS school he did that. Doesn't really convince me to reconsider my initial opinion. How he performed against the other weak fbs teams is what I will be judgement on.

I feel our QBs aren't getting it done -- part of that is our OL/running game woes -- but Wolford consistently outplays Hinton in our scrimmages. I'd love to see Hinton blow up but it's just not happening. I don't think he's a "savior" figure.

I feel our QBs aren't getting it done -- part of that is our OL/running game woes -- but Wolford consistently outplays Hinton in our scrimmages. I'd love to see Hinton blow up but it's just not happening. I don't think he's a "savior" figure.

I think some of that is because QBs are down by touch in scrimmages, which doesn't favor Hinton. Based on their play in games last year, I would like to see Hinton start.

Neither is all that good but it's unlikely a replacement is ready so we are stuck.

I think some of that is because QBs are down by touch in scrimmages, which doesn't favor Hinton. Based on their play in games last year, I would like to see Hinton start.

I think that Wolford has uncanny accuracy when he has time and can see his target. But poor protection and line of sight have resulted in too many bad decisions and ints. Hinton is not close to Wolford in passing ability, IMO; but is a much better runner/play-maker. Wolford should start but Hinton should get lots of PT and should start several series per game. If the defense cannot adjust, go with him.

Once Hinton learns the playbook and the offense, I think he gives us the best chance to win.

Once Hinton learns the playbook and the offense, I think he gives us the best chance to win.

I highly doubt that Hinton is still learning the playbook. Hell, he's been on the squad for over a year now. Also, I'm pretty sure a moron such as myself could learn our playbook which is filled with extremely complex plays involving slow motion delayed handoffs out of the shotgun and 6 yard outs. Super duper complicated :rolleyes:

To paraphrase an old saw this political season: "It's the O-Line, stupid". Any handoff will not work if the DL drives the guards 3 yards deep into the backfield. A 6'5" QB can't see down field if he's flat on his back. Our QBs cant play any better without improvement on the OL. If I were the opposing defensive coordinator, I would A.O.B. (All Out Blitz) every play and have an LB smack Serigne at the line. Our drives would last less then a minute and our defense would be worn out by the middle of the second quarter.

To paraphrase an old saw this political season: "It's the O-Line, stupid". Any handoff will not work if the DL drives the guards 3 yards deep into the backfield. A 6'5" QB can't see down field if he's flat on his back. Our QBs cant play any better without improvement on the OL. If I were the opposing defensive coordinator, I would A.O.B. (All Out Blitz) every play and have an LB smack Serigne at the line. Our drives would last less then a minute and our defense would be worn out by the middle of the second quarter.

Yeah, but in that scenario our punter would probably set new ACC punting records so at least we would have that.

I just watched highlights of a few of our guys at work this morning and it seems pretty clear to me that Hinton gives us the best chance to win. What he lacks in throwing ability he makes up for in running and pure playmaking ability. When you have a quarterback who can run like that having a slightly less accurate passer is fine because 9 times out of 10 receivers are going to be more open than with Wolford. All of our best games of the season were with Hinton. I really hope he starts this season - I don't want to see a two QB system again. This should be Hinton's offense until we have a better option come in.

Hinton will get himself killed -- like what happened last year -- running around trying to make plays. He just won't last without an effective OL and running game. And since his short passing game is not a strength his effectiveness as a passing QB in our offense is very limited. If he was more durable, a real tank, he'd have more of a chance. But he's not and will be taken out sooner rather than later against stiffer opposition.

Wolfed got injured trying to run around and by not being able to get out of the pocket during pass rush more than Hinton did. Yeah, any quarterback we have will probably see limited success because of our o-line but Hinton would be much more effective until we have an o-like that can protect a pocket passer.

They both got creamed when carrying the ball. They're both a little fragile b/c they aren't big physically. My point was that at least Wolford has the short passing game which if executed can spare him some of the contact. I understand the green shirt limitation placed on Hinton in scrimmages, but he's not a run-every-play QB and would need to throw it accurately as well to successfully run the offense. In a pure passing comparison in our scrimmages, Hinton did not compare well. In my opinion.

I don't think Claw was blowing smoke when he said that we will need both QBs this year. Run the offense as you planned without worry of injury and go from there.

Back