• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Summer Thread

I think the players are listed in the order that they stand right now. Tyler Bell is the closest thing to a #1. I would have expected that he would see more carries than any of the others against Elon before his ankle injury. Now that probably depends on how he has healed. I think Isaiah Robinson is right behind him. 3-4 guys at a minimum will get carries on Thursday.

I know the season hasn't started yet, but I feel pretty good about RB.
We have 5 guys that appear to be decent. Maybe no one is a superstar, but it's nice to have some decent depth to keep fresh legs I all the time.

Thanks 94. Is Bell being "closet thing to a #1" a surprise at all? I wasn't able to go to any of the scrimmages this year, so dont know how they looked in person, but he was the lowest rated RB recruit of the freshmen. Also surprising to me that he'd be ahead of either Robinson or Wortham as the incumbents, although neither seemed to be world beaters last year albeit behind a terrible oline. Either way, hope we've got someone who can produce something positive. I like to see a good running game and last year was just excruciating to watch.

Yikes lots of candidates for worst unit emerging.
Pike was nice last year wasn't he? Or am I misremembering?

I think RB is our second worst position unit (behind only the o line).

I'd throw in a vote for defensive end as long as Duke Ejiofor is out. Wendell Dunn was remarkably unproductive as a pass rusher last year. Chris Stewart is young and unproven.

Thanks 94. Is Bell being "closet thing to a #1" a surprise at all? I wasn't able to go to any of the scrimmages this year, so dont know how they looked in person, but he was the lowest rated RB recruit of the freshmen. Also surprising to me that he'd be ahead of either Robinson or Wortham as the incumbents, although neither seemed to be world beaters last year albeit behind a terrible oline. Either way, hope we've got someone who can produce something positive. I like to see a good running game and last year was just excruciating to watch.

You are right. Before camp I certainly wouldn't have guessed that RB Tyler Bell and DE Chris Calhoun would be the true freshmen standouts in camp, but I'm happy for both of them. Tyler Bell was somewhat unheralded as a recruit. Wake flipped him from a Southern Miss commitment. Wake was his only P5 offer. But the staff clearly saw something that they liked.

My perception is that part of the reason that Bell is ahead is that he stayed healthier than the other RBs throughout camp. For that reason he got a lot more reps, and that makes a big difference if you are a true freshman.

Interesting to note that Chris Stewart was chosen to start at DE ahead of Rashawn Shaw. Both were part of the 2014 signing class, but Stewart was a much less-heralded recruit. Wake flipped him from a UL-M commitment. Shaw does appear to be in line for 30-40 snaps per game though.

Interesting to note that Chris Stewart was chosen to start at DE ahead of Rashawn Shaw. Both were part of the 2014 signing class, but Stewart was a much less-heralded recruit. Wake flipped him from a UL-M commitment. Shaw does appear to be in line for 30-40 snaps per game though.

That's why you never can tell. Evidently, Stewart has done better since he arrived and so has Bell. Good for them. Good for the Deacs.

Very interesting tidbit from the game notes on the official site.

"Wake Forest’s six-member senior class is the smallest senior class in FBS, and marks the fewest seniors since 1944 when the U.S. was involved in World War II."

I'd throw in a vote for defensive end as long as Duke Ejiofor is out. Wendell Dunn was remarkably unproductive as a pass rusher last year. Chris Stewart is young and unproven.

There's a reason we've taken so many for 2016.

You don't break out all blacks for an ESPN3 game against Elon.

Or at least you'd didn't when you only had black helmets.

Yikes lots of candidates for worst unit emerging.
Pike was nice last year wasn't he? Or am I misremembering?

Pike is serviceable but he did let a pass bounce off his face mask in the scrimmage.

What do we expect from the 3 grad students?

I think at least 2 of them will make substantial contributions.

What do we expect from the 3 grad students?

I think at least 2 of them will make substantial contributions.

All three will start vs. Elon. I think T Brown will start over Dancel against CUse. But Dancel will get plenty of time. I think Brent and Gaulden will both start all year long and play plenty of snaps this year.

All three will start vs. Elon. I think T Brown will start over Dancel against CUse. But Dancel will get plenty of time. I think Brent and Gaulden will both start all year long and play plenty of snaps this year.

Thanks. I wasn't so sure about Dancel. Gaulden looks a player who could hurt you.

Back