• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Summer Thread

Stoked we got a P5 CB with starting experience. Even more stoked that this should allow us to redshirt Austin/Henderson.

This is pretty big...

@GridironStuds
Former Wisconsin defensive back Devin Gaulden (University School, FL) will be transferring to Wake Forest & is eligible to play this season

Fantastic news!

Huge get right before practice starts.

Two quick points.

2. Comments by the two senior transfers in front of the team before the max tests were very telling. The gist was that this is truly a team were everyone gets along and hangs out with each other. There are no cliques or dissension. Both stated that this is the first team that they have been on like this.

Doesn't mean it isn't the case, but if we had an ACC championship for every time we've heard pretty much this exact quote before the season started we'd have more titles than Florida State

Great news! Good point Strickdeac on letting the new guys redshirt. I love the work this staff is doing.

Pretty sure he was committed to the Deacs at one time originally.

Great memory! I looked it up, and you are exactly right. Was actually committed to Auburn for a while, then committed to Wake Forest for a week and a half, then committed to Wisconsin.

When he committed to Wake, he did it together with his friend Curt (Spiffy) Evans. Spiffy also decommitted shortly thereafter.

Last edited:
Gaulden was listed on the 2-deep chart at the end of last season. Thus, you would obviously expect him to be a starter for us.

The D is shaping up nicely.

Big need at one of the thinnest and least experienced position group.

Bob - Great photos, as usual.
We need to get some wearing the Black & Gold.

You forgot to compare him to a former stud ACC player. Roman Gabriel maybe?

Gabe lives at River Hills Golf Club in Little River, S.C. He is best friends with Billy Ray Barnes, a WFU hall of famer and former NFL All Pro RB with the league champion Philadelphia Eagles. Gabe is at least 6'5" and a great guy. He has some great stories from his days in the NFL and NCSU.

Why are we starting fall practice 3 days after we are allowed to. UNC/SC are starting on August 3rd because they have a Thursday night game just like us.

Why are we starting fall practice 3 days after we are allowed to. UNC/SC are starting on August 3rd because they have a Thursday night game just like us.

There is a fairly complicated system that lets you know when you can start practice, its not just x number of days before your first game. It has to do with when summer school lets out and when fall classes begin and how you want to use your practice time. You can only have, I think, 29 on-field practices out of your allowed 40 units. Throw in the required one day off a week, two a days, meetings, weight sessions, losing freshmen to orientation for a few practices, the five day acclimation period and it gets confusing. I assure you that Wake's coaches have spent many hours meeting and laying out exactly how August will be organized so that it fits into this formula and gives them what they need to prepare their team.

I'm sure the practices are worked around not allowing freshman to miss practice due to orientation. But other than that, thanks for the info.

Hard to believe that it would not be better to start practicing three days earlier if you are allowed to.

Back