• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

I think Furman is also still fairly religious while Wofford is not.
My brother is currently at Furman. This is not even remotely correct.

I think based on academic reputation Furman is considered a better school, but yeah they are pretty similar.

I think based on academic reputation Furman is considered a better school, but yeah they are pretty similar.
Interesting. A couple folks I went to high school with went to Furman and both transferred after their freshman year because they thought it was too religious. I guess YMMV (or it's totally different now than it was in like 2009)

Interesting. A couple folks I went to high school with went to Furman and both transferred after their freshman year because they thought it was too religious. I guess YMMV (or it's totally different now than it was in like 2009)
I mean Wake’s pretty different now than what I assume it was 15 years ago, so it’s probably that for Furman as well

I’m mistaken! I know Furman was long considered the best school in SC. In recent years I think Wofford has supplanted them if you are a rankings person although those are generally all sorts of problematic. Both good little private schools. Furman is obviously in a much more desirable location and has a prettier campus, but Wofford’s campus is also nice….it’s just surrounded by Spartanburg.

Yeah, I’m basing my opinion on two things: 1) I know a good many religious folks whose kids go there, and 2) as a religious studies prof, there are profs in the RS department at Furman who would never be hired at other universities.

Yeah, I’m basing my opinion on two things: 1) I know a good many religious folks whose kids go there, and 2) as a religious studies prof, there are profs in the RS department at Furman who would never be hired at other universities.
Yeah, I mean I’ve never had a long conversation with my brother about it, but from knowing him and visiting several times I’ve never heard about or gotten the religious private school vibe.

I’m sure you know more than I do about it from an administrative/professors POV

Yeah, I mean I’ve never had a long conversation with my brother about it, but from knowing him and visiting several times I’ve never heard about or gotten the religious private school vibe.

I’m sure you know more than I do about it from an administrative/professors POV
It’s a preppy, private school in SC. I’m sure there are religious kids and partying, non-religious kids. I taught at Wofford for a couple semesters and definitely had both.

As long as Lowder shakes that last inning off I think we are fine. Can’t imagine Wofford holds our offense below 6 even in their best case scenario.

Quick little story about the Wofford assistant they were just talking about, Josh Schulman. He was the recruiting coordinator at Yale and they were heavily recruiting my stepson. He came up 10 pts short on his first SAT take so Yale moved on to another kid. This was his Junior year. Summer between my kids Jr and Sr year we were at a tournament in Georgia and my kid is a little down that he wasn't committed yet. Schulman hung around his game and made a point to talk to him and us after the game. Gave him encouragement and told him that he had a unique skill set and that the right school would see it at the right time. Totally cool move by a guy who wasn't trying to recruit a kid...he was just being a good guy who actually cared about kids he recruited. Unreal respect for that dude.

Gotta say, it’s nice seeing Wofford have some guys wearing the full face guard. I have no idea why everyone doesn’t wear it. I took a 95 mph fastball to the face in HS and wore one after that.

Back