• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

I just had my yearly realization that the ACC Baseball Tournament is the worst format I've ever heard of in all of sports.
Yeah. I’ll bump my BSD article about the format from like six years ago that remains true each season. They couldn’t have found a worse format if they tried beyond making all teams play like five games in three day. Even single elimination would be preferable despite the high variance nature of the sport

some sort of pool play strikes the best balance between fairness and entertainment (aka limit meaningless games). The pool play schedule the ACC uses (where the bottom 8 teams play one of the other bottom 8 teams in an “elimination” game first) is ridiculous. It just guarantees there are four games that don’t matter for ACCT tournament purposes (or in other words, 1/3 of the entire tournament pool play of 12 games)

As a reminder for Wake purposes, we will advance to the single elimination semifinals if we either:

1) go 2-0 in pool play OR
2) all 3 teams in the pool go 1-1 (put another way, best seed advances with a loss as long as they beat the team who wins the other game).

So I’ve never been to the ACCT for baseball before. What’s the best plan for purchasing tix? Single game once we know the schedule? Or buy all of Wake’s games? I will probably go to the game that matters in pool play and then to the semis and finals if we make it that far.

Last edited:
why not just do this ?

Seeds 5-12 will meet in a single elimination format on the opening day of the tournament, followed by traditional double-elimination play Wednesday-Friday. The tournament will return to single elimination play on Saturday.

I mean why not just make it normal and simple

I want wake to play some games in the tournament on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday because I'm headed to the beach on Friday for Memorial Day Weekend.

When will we know the schedule? Is the #1 seed locked into certain game times?

I want wake to play some games in the tournament on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday because I'm headed to the beach on Friday for Memorial Day Weekend.

Not really. I think they generally announce the schedule early in the week after the regular season is over with the goal to capture higher interest teams for night games (attendance and I guess eyeballs on tv). State/UNC/Duke and this year Wake, I'd expect to have a higher likelihood of the night games for a Durham location

Yeah. I’ll bump my BSD article about the format from like six years ago that remains true each season. They couldn’t have found a worse format if they tried beyond making all teams play like five games in three day. Even single elimination would be preferable despite the high variance nature of the sport
okay bump it

7 PM games would be ideal for me but I can probably make a 3 PM game work on and Wednesday

I'll check on this but I believe the ACC gives the No. 1 seed some input on choosing days they're playing (and maybe the other top 4 seeds). Feel like I've heard talk in years past of whoever the No. 1 seed has been getting to set up their pitching however they'd prefer.

I think game times are all subject to TV.

The format is single elimination - just with four exhibition games thrown in (and everybody knows they are exhibition games before they take the field)

I'll check on this but I believe the ACC gives the No. 1 seed some input on choosing days they're playing (and maybe the other top 4 seeds). Feel like I've heard talk in years past of whoever the No. 1 seed has been getting to set up their pitching however they'd prefer.

I think game times are all subject to TV.

They very much like to have "local" teams playing the night game for attendance and crowd for TV

The last time DBAP hosted, the night games were:

ND vs. Duke
UVA vs. UNC
NCSU
vs. WF
FSU vs. NCSU

The top 4 seeds were

1. Louisville (played two 11:00 games Wednesday and Thursday)
2. GT (3:00 Wednesday, 11:00 Friday)
3. NCSU (7:00 pm games Thu - Fri)
4. Miami (3:00 games Thu - Fri)

I would expect WF will play two 7:00 pm games and we won't play on Tuesday (none of the top 4 seeds ever play in the first 4 games)

Also guessing that if Walter gets to choose, we'll play Thursday and Friday so that he will have the most flexibility to rest Lowder before whichever of our first two games matters.

Back