• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

Wouldn't that screw up their rotation a bit by moving a Friday starter to Saturday or Sunday? Plus all the pitchers are good so avoiding Lowder doesn't make much sense. I'm sure a lot of these teams have a Friday starter capable of a good enough outing to give their bats a shot.

I have a friend that asked me why a team wouldn’t just throw a scrub against Lowder and try to win the other two games. Sounds like that is what the Alabama coach did but he used the info to win money by betting.
I’ve always wondered this at all levels of baseball. Why throw your #1 against anyone’s #1? Throw your #1 vs their #2 and your #2 against their #3. It makes more sense to me.

Any strategy where you're trying to max out at .666 seems like a losing strategy.

Wouldn't that screw up their rotation a bit by moving a Friday starter to Saturday or Sunday? Plus all the pitchers are good so avoiding Lowder doesn't make much sense. I'm sure a lot of these teams have a Friday starter capable of a good enough outing to give their bats a shot.
The scenario my friend asked me about was basically flipping the rotation. Almost guaranteed a win on Sunday. Hoping for the best on Friday. It seemed like Louisville used that strategy

Any strategy where you're trying to max out at .666 seems like a losing strategy.
If you don’t have a very good team then it might work. It would not make sense for teams wanting to be great

If I'm a coach of a mediocre team, I hope my best arm is hyped to face a probable 1st round pick and will give his best effort with all those scouts in the house.

No one is almost guaranteeing a win against any of our starters or Keener for that matter.
It was a hypothetical question. Alabama threw a reliever on Friday against a LSU stud. How did that go? Alabama coach won some money and lost his job. When we played louisville they threw their best pitcher on Sunday.

I’m all in on Lowder days. Wake is definitely too good to play those games against us. Against other teams it would have a better chance of working.

No one is almost guaranteeing a win against any of our starters or Keener for that matter.
Also if you throw a scrub against Lowder, you’re probably going 5 deep in your pen just to finish the game Friday. I think that’s where we really break teams. Lowder, Hartle, and Sully give us so many innings.

If I'm a coach of a mediocre team, I hope my best arm is hyped to face a probable 1st round pick and will give his best effort with all those scouts in the house.
It worked for Duke and Pitt. Guess y’all don’t understand hypothetical stuff while sucking down some Deacon Brews.

Also if you throw a scrub against Lowder, you’re probably going 5 deep in your pen just to finish the game Friday. I think that’s where we really break teams. Lowder, Hartle, and Sully give us so many innings.
What did the Alabama coach do? He used the bottom of his bullpen on Friday. He used 4 pitchers.

What did the Alabama coach do? He used the bottom of his bullpen on Friday. He used 4 pitchers.
By all means let the decisions of a dude who just got fired for going all 8 men out in one series by your example of how to win.

By all means let the decisions of a dude who just got fired for going all 8 men out in one series by your example of how to win.
I shared a hypothetical question that a friend asked. My response was that Wake is too good to worry about that stuff (I did not share my response previously). It obviously does happen but yet well educated folks can not understand that?

I shared a hypothetical question that a friend asked. My response was that Wake is too good to worry about that stuff (I did not share my response previously). It obviously does happen but yet well educated folks can not understand that?
Agree that good teams shouldn’t do this. But mediocre ones definitely should give it a shot.

It worked for Duke and Pitt. Guess y’all don’t understand hypothetical stuff while sucking down some Deacon Brews.
Are you saying Duke and Pitt adjusted their rotations to face WF?

Pitt started, in order, Sokol, Evans, and Mosley against WF. They started the same guys in the same order the previous weekend at Virginia.

The idea is definitely used in tennis and golf match play. Used often enough that in tennis there are explicit rules trying to curb its use.

The idea is definitely used in tennis and golf match play. Used often enough that in tennis there are explicit rules trying to curb its use.
I think my 10 year old's tennis coach is doing it. He keeps playing him #3 singles and he hasn't really been challenged this season.

When do the teams have to declare their starting pitchers? Simultaneously? If you are the visiting team and the home team pulls this stunt, couldn't you scratch your best pitcher for the bottom half of the inning? Seems like it would be difficult to make sure the other team doesn't change their rotation as well. Just wondering.

Back