• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

on a related note, those pitching stats show WF as #2 in the league in unearned runs allowed, which is bad (it's not a perfect stat, but matches the #eyetest regarding our defense)

on a related note, those pitching stats show WF as #2 in the league in unearned runs allowed, which is bad (it's not a perfect stat, but matches the #eyetest regarding our defense)
Do Hit by pitch, wild pitches and/or walks contribute to unearned runs?

Unearned runs is an interesting stat. Obviously, a poor defensive team will result in more unearned runs. It also says something about the pitcher. How does he respond to misfortune. All too many compound a error after it is committed. Good pitchers don't make that nistake. They take the attitude that they are responsible to pick up their teammates, shut down the hitters that follow, and do just that.

Pitchers are the first to thank a fielder for a defensive gem that prevents runs, Fielders are the first to thank a pitcher for shutting down an opponent after their error puts a team in jeoprady. "Thanks for picking me up" is a phrase that goes both ways.

McGraw (3rd team), Kurtz (2nd team), Lowder (1st team), Wilken (2nd team) and Minacci (3rd team) all preseason Perfect Game All-Americans.

Who is our shortstop now that Turconi is gone?

Who is our shortstop now that Turconi is gone?
"Wake’s biggest question mark is the shortstop position vacated by mainstay Michael Turconi. The favorite for that job is Justin Johnson, a graduate transfer from Lafayette who missed last season with a hip labrum injury but has returned strong this fall. He’s a gritty gamer with steady hands and a strong arm at shortstop, and he also brings good speed, capable of running the 60-yard dash in 6.6 seconds. He even provides some sneaky pop, which he showed by hitting a two-run homer at Tennessee. Talented freshman Marek Houston could also see playing time thanks to his glove — Walter called him “one of the best defensive shortstops I’ve seen at this level, like, ever.”

Walter seems pretty direct about:

• Bullpen, bullpen, bullpen. He likes 2 lefties, newcomers, to help support the pen.
  • Late game situations - I hope this means fielding, not bunting and...
  • We were probably the last team NOT chosen to host a regional as "we did not deserve to host."

Highest rated ACC team:

#6 WF
#12 UNC
#14 VT
#16 L'ville
#19 UVA
#21 Miami
#22 NC State

FWIW, WF does not play UNC or UVA.

5 straight years of failure with talented squads. Excuse the fuck outta me for being skeptical and annoyed from him still being the lead man. Maybe this year will be different, but I highly doubt it.
Not quite as talented squads as many here expected it seems.

I’m a Walter fan, but we need not be drinking too much kool-aide too soon.
I don't think many people here are going to be accused of being too positive about Walter and this team. If anything I think we are underhyping what this season could be based on the pre-season accolades, MLB Draft positioning, and pre-season rankings.

What was the last Wake men's team to have this much preseason hype outside of soccer. 2005 basketball?

Women's golf this year. They are the consensus #2 and absolutely loaded with talent.

_03_0652_9SLVq.jpg

Last edited:
Back