• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

Yeah, I was a little surprised how janky the LAB looks, but whatever, as long as it does the business (even if a lot of that business is just good PR). Like, I'm sure it's top of the line, cutting edge, and good for our dudes, but it also gets us great press.
I think I read somewhere in the off-season that our pitching lab was higher tech than some of the MLB pitching set-ups. That's a bit crazy to me. Good for us, but what the hell are those MLB teams doing?

Yeah, I was a little surprised how janky the LAB looks, but whatever, as long as it does the business (even if a lot of that business is just good PR). Like, I'm sure it's top of the line, cutting edge, and good for our dudes, but it also gets us great press.
Ha. I think the idea is that these colleges have these glistening facilities. 95% of them are not...they are glorified locker rooms/gyms.
My kids rank of the ACC facilities he's been to...including Stadium etc.

UVA- The stadium took it past Wake
Wake- Not glistening stuff but super high quality
UNC- to be fair here they were in the middle of doing a remodel.
Duke- said it was big HS level and wildly unimpressed. Bouncing between campus field and DBAP he saw as a negative.
He had Wake facilities (not stadium) ranked above Tennessee as well...which surprised me.

On DK:

WF is -190

The total is 11.5 (which seems insane given that both teams are throwing their aces)

run line: WF -1.5 (-120).

I've got some $25 free bets since mobile betting went live in Massachusetts today. Threw one down on both -175 this morning as well as the -1.5 at -120. Pad my bank account Deacs!!!

Deacs shake up the lineup: Corona and Reinisch out. Joye and Houston in.

cf Hawke
rf Bennett
1b Kurtz
3b Wilken
lf Cecere
2b Johnson
dh Joye
c Lee
ss Houston

p Lowder

Deacs are facing a lefty in Santucci. So, the WF lineup sans DC and Jake is less lefthanded.

Makes sense Corona is getting a breather today given the defensive prowess of Marek at SS and sliding Johnson over there. Will also give us a nice PH option, along with Jake, and Costello, should we need it later on.

Realize that its early in the season, further realize that batting average is a flawed stat and also acknowledge that WF has played a poor schedule. Even so, Tommy Hawke is hitting .537 and has an OBP of .643. Hawke has 70 plate appearances and he has reached base 45 times. Stud little leaguers don't do that. Stupid good. Oh yeah, he is also 5 for 5 in steals.

One of his at bats against Coastal really underscored his abilities: 0-2 count, doesn't try to do too much, just gets his bat on the ball and finds space between short and third. Not a hard hit ball but put into play where good things can happen and with his speed, even if it doesn't get into the outfield, decent chance he can beat the throw over to first to get on base anyway. Great stuff from him so far this season.

I think I read somewhere in the off-season that our pitching lab was higher tech than some of the MLB pitching set-ups. That's a bit crazy to me. Good for us, but what the hell are those MLB teams doing?
There are probably old timers in those front offices heming and hawing about purity and unwritten rules and soul of the game or some such bullshit.

Back