• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

Managers (excluding Earl Weaver) have been sac bunting with a runner on first and no outs since the beginning of time. It's debatable, but IMO the bunt call in and of itself wasn't terrible. It was asking Hawke, who should be able to bunt but apparently never successfully did so this season (sacrifice that is) and certainly looked like it, to bunt that I have an issue with. Don't ask a guy to do it for the first time all season in that situation.
Is the sin in the call or the lack of preparation for your speedy leadoff man up to this point? Likely both. Mistakes happen, just overcome them and move on.

Managers (excluding Earl Weaver) have been sac bunting with a runner on first and no outs since the beginning of time. It's debatable, but IMO the bunt call in and of itself wasn't terrible. It was asking Hawke, who should be able to sac bunt but apparently never successfully did so this season and certainly looked like it, to bunt that I have an issue with. Don't ask a guy to do it for the first time all season in that situation.
No one really bunts in this situation anymore. It’s been a major change in the game over the last 5 or so years. Analytics basically say that bunting is never the correct call. You rarely even see MLB teams do it with the stupid extra-inning ghost runner on 2nd.

Can someone please have a bunting intervention with Walter?

One of the primary reasons this team is sitting where they are is their composure and mental toughness. We made some uncharacteristic defensive mistakes yesterday, but instead of melting down, which is easy to do in that environment, we just went on to the next play.

Here we are in a 2-2 game in the bottom of the 8th inning of one of the most pressured packed games you can comprehend, and Lee looks like Cilento just told him a dirty joke.

I think analytics says the only real time to consider bunting is 1st and 2nd with no outs, right? Now, if you have a guy who hits like .200 like Houston, but is a good bunter (I dunno if he actually is), then it's a little different.

I think analytics says the only real time to consider bunting is 1st and 2nd with no outs, right? Now, if you have a guy who hits like .200 like Houston, but is a good bunter (I dunno if he actually is), then it's a little different.
Were there material differences between true freshman Marek Houston and dylan crews last night?

yeah the universal DH has delivered a near-fatal blow to the sac bunt in MLB

Hawke has nearly a 0.500 OBP and it was probably 50/50 he successfully completed that sac bunt.

So all around it was a very dumb decision

Right like…he’s our lead off hitter. That’s what he’s out there to do.

Back