• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

That half inning summed up the day. Missed an HR by a few feet then loud out to warming track. Then double, then two doubles in a row robbed. We tagged the shit out of mister all American and it didn’t matter one iota.
Agree

As much as I want to blame the umps, it all boils down to Miami making a few ridiculous defensive plays and had some timely hits. Who know what would have happened if JJ's ball was a foot higher to tie the game. And their next swing was a bomb too. Just tip the cap and thank god their were no injuries during this abomination of a baseball game. Kinda reminds me of the Florida super a few years back were we had to pitch in a downpour before they finally delayed the game after we gave up a few runs. Also glad all the starters got a few innings in as well. Extra day of rest and don't have to worry about pitching depth come next week.

I think this helps
I doubt it.
don’t think a loss to a top 10 and possible super host makes you drop to Florida given we are 3 games better for season and pretty sure our RPi stays higher. Clemson/UM winner definitely gets to host super and possibly both along with 4 sec teams and stanford.

when this team loses we typically run 2-3 in a row if not more and agree bad taste will get them super focused. We seem to be a bit off as a team trying keener as a starter and then today Sully getting a start after thinking Hartle was starting so seems both coaches and team kind of uncertain and that has to impact mental focus as Hartle not used to coming off bench. Hopefully we can go back to our usual weekend rotation with Keener more for mid relief next weekend, but will be interesting to see how they play it as prepare for supers where you definitely want that rotation in place.

Also, does it really matter so long as you’re in the top 8? I guess your seed determines “home field advantage” in Omaha?

from what i can tell, you also get a much worse 4 seed in your regional pod which can definitely help.

If indeed you are Wake class of 1986 (which I honestly pray is not the case) you have been officially disowned by the class. Meaning me. Meaning quit being a fucking asshat and go back in your hole.

I thought at some point he said he played for Walter, which would put him being born in ‘86. But Walter didn’t come to Wake until 2010 so he would have been a 5th year senior.

and i agree they should have stopped the game in the 7th inning or so due to field conditions. i wonder how the durham field held up

The team we lost to today will be seeded higher than any team we could possibly play before Omaha. And it took a career effort from one of their pitchers, several incredible defensive plays, and a damn monsoon for them to beat us.

Anyone that is currently doom and gloom posting is outing themselves as an idiot, a Wake Forest baseball hater, or (most likely) both.

and i agree they should have stopped the game in the 7th inning or so due to field conditions. i wonder how the durham field held up
Even if not raining in Fayetteville? Sorry, just couldn't resist...all good .

Time for us all to just flush today and move on especially given weather.

How the team and fans handle today will tell the rest of the story on what has been a great year so far. I personally think the team is all good and will be ready to roll next weekend.

I missed the first seven innings. The field was unplayable and the uniforms for both teams were soaked. The game should not have been played. Glad that nobody left the game injured and hope there are no sore arms or pulled muscles tomorrow. Throw away game not worthy of consideration. Dry out, move on to next week and the NCAA tournament.

The team we lost to today will be seeded higher than any team we could possibly play before Omaha. And it took a career effort from one of their pitchers, several incredible defensive plays, and a damn monsoon for them to beat us.

Anyone that is currently doom and gloom posting is outing themselves as an idiot, a Wake Forest baseball hater, or (most likely) both.

Some rando on the opposition had a career game against Wake to knock us out of a tourney? Yeah, that won't happen again in a week or two.

And it wasn't like they beat us by one run. They kicked our ass and dominated most of the game. We choked at every major point in the game. They wanted to win the game and we looked like we thought we were too good to be there. Covid not trying to come home on the passed ball was the ultimate white flag.

I'm trying to be optimistic, but its tough when we have the last thirty years of these types of games to look back on in all sports with really not a damn thing to show for them.

Some rando on the opposition had a career game against Wake to knock us out of a tourney? Yeah, that won't happen again in a week or two.

And it wasn't like they beat us by one run. They kicked our ass and dominated most of the game. We choked at every major point in the game. They wanted to win the game and we looked like we thought we were too good to be there. Covid not trying to come home on the passed ball was the ultimate white flag.

I'm trying to be optimistic, but its tough when we have the last thirty years of these types of games to look back on in all sports with really not a damn thing to show for them.
it wouldn't be a sports season without one of the posts from this poster.

You guys realize that out of all the teams that enter a tournament, only one of them win each time right? The vast majority of teams that enter every tournament walk away thinking they choked at one point or another.

We will not be in another single elimination tournament format for the rest of this season. And we haven’t been beaten twice by the same team all season. I like our odds.

Lol. We won a national championship this week.

if there wasn't any fear of not making it, there wouldn't be any exhilaration of making it.

Wake is 6-1 against the two teams playing for the championship. And not a single game was played on our home field.

Back