• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

His pitch count was right around 100, right? And he hadn't been overworked previously. Not sure, but maybe available for a short stint?

But also, we had plenty of viable starting pitchers, so the necessity wouldn't be there.

Rhett came out in the 7th with 88 pitches.

Still don't think that he would have been on the bump again. We had plenty of arms at the ready.

Lot of it would have depended on how the Saturday and Sunday games against the Gators played out. Of course, if Sullivan or Keener were rested, and the A bullpen was ready, the decision to not throw Lowder for a couple of innings is easy. OTOH, if WF is looking at starting Reed Mascolo tonight with only Crum, Ray and Ariola available out of the pen and Lowder says he can go, maybe Rhett pitches depending on the situation.

TCU is creeping up on us

Hope we can hold the #2 Jell-O shot spot

Attachments

• IMG_2931.jpeg
    IMG_2931.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
They're still hanging around?

LSU has more than double the shots of all other seven schools combined. They do takeover Omaha.

I don’t think Skenes should pitch on three days after a 248 pitch week. I fully expect LSU to disregard the physiological risk and send him to the mound. The only question is how they will use him. Skenes will tell them he’s ready to go. That’s natural for the type of competitor he is. i don’t like the idea of leaving the decision to Skenes but that’s the easy way out for coaches trying to escape scrutiny.

I don’t think Skenes should pitch on three days after a 248 pitch week. I fully expect LSU to disregard the physiological risk and send him to the mound. The only question is how they will use him. Skenes will tell them he’s ready to go. That’s natural for the type of competitor he is. i don’t like the idea of leaving the decision to Skenes but that’s the easy way out for coaches trying to escape scrutiny.
i am sure Skenes has an agent advising him. If it were a significant risk I would bet his camp would shut him down.

I imagine the hope is Hurd can get them through maybe 5 innings, Skenes to get them maybe 3 innings at most and the fat closer finish it off.

Aye, yo. About to take off on my last flight home; there's somebody else I want to shout-out for this season.

@CONeill your coverage has been outstanding.

So many times, I've been halfway/mindlessly scrolling through an article about WF Baseball, and realized how well written and well researched it is.

95%+ of the time, it's been your work.

You da man. Thank you!
More than you know, I appreciate this and others who have shown support over the course of the baseball season (and really, all seasons over the years). College baseball often gets the red-headed step child treatment (sometimes deservingly so!) and so it's been a thrill to see this team and coverage of it get embraced.

Sorry for the delayed response and absence here; was probably within about 100 miles of Lone Tree when you sent this. And call me crazy but I didn't crack open my computer for the last two days.

Can't believe I was ever leaning toward not going to Omaha. I've been fortunate to cover some cool shit and nothing will ever compare to the Duck Calling World Championships in Stuttgart, Ark., but Omaha was a top-5 experience. Sorry it didn't work out for WF but, as I wrote in last column from out there, definitely feels like a return trip is in the cards soon.

To answer a few questions I've seen from last few days:

• Don't think Rhett would be pitching today if WF were playing. Walt and his staff are always going to act in player's best interest, even if it's against the player's wishes.
  • Was never mutual interest between Walt and Miami; his name just got attached to their search.
  • Have heard Duke doesn't like playing at the DBAP and the Bulls don't like them playing there. Can't blame either side.
Oh and: It kinda sucks that corporate greed and dick-measuring took hold of the Jello shot challenge.

More than you know, I appreciate this and others who have shown support over the course of the baseball season (and really, all seasons over the years). College baseball often gets the red-headed step child treatment (sometimes deservingly so!) and so it's been a thrill to see this team and coverage of it get embraced.

Sorry for the delayed response and absence here; was probably within about 100 miles of Lone Tree when you sent this. And call me crazy but I didn't crack open my computer for the last two days.

Can't believe I was ever leaning toward not going to Omaha. I've been fortunate to cover some cool shit and nothing will ever compare to the Duck Calling World Championships in Stuttgart, Ark., but Omaha was a top-5 experience. Sorry it didn't work out for WF but, as I wrote in last column from out there, definitely feels like a return trip is in the cards soon.

To answer a few questions I've seen from last few days:

• Don't think Rhett would be pitching today if WF were playing. Walt and his staff are always going to act in player's best interest, even if it's against the player's wishes.
  • Was never mutual interest between Walt and Miami; his name just got attached to their search.
  • Have heard Duke doesn't like playing at the DBAP and the Bulls don't like them playing there. Can't blame either side.
Oh and: It kinda sucks that corporate greed and dick-measuring took hold of the Jello shot challenge.

Sort of a dick measuring contest by design. And at least some food bank in Louisiana is getting a pretty significant donation.
That being said, would be nice to have it broken out by in bar and online.

Appreciate your work!!!

The jell-O shots were disappointing. Had about 10 before the games and hardily felt anything.

I don't think a corporate Jello shot contest was ever pure.

Back