• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest +3.5 vs. Syracuse

doubledeac

Reaction score
If the Deacs keep playing inspired, I would think they'll cover.

I also think Wake wins straight up. I wouldn't be surprised to see the line creep back down to a toss up by kickoff. Wake is still being weighed down by the option offense earlier in the year. We've moved up 25 spots in Sagarin over the past couple weeks (as has Duke) and are roughly even with BC. This is with half our data points running the damn option offense. We would easily be top 60 and a top 7 team in the conference if we had run the current offense all year.

It's down to 3.

WF is playing much better than Cuse right now as WF has covered their last 3 by 20 points+ while Cuse's last game was a blowout loss to GT.

On the flip-side, the situation favors Cuse as they are coming off a bye, while WF is playing the second of back to back road games on opposite ends of the East Coast. Also, hard to get off the mat after a gut-wrenching loss.

Tough spot for WF. Also, really hope that one or both of Tyree Harris and Orville Reynolds are available.

It really is. I'm not surprised by the line. While having weaknesses and struggling, Syracuse has put up over 50 points a couple of times this year. It's also in the Dome which is an odd environment. And a strong performance against the #7 Canes doesn't necessarily translate to a win against Cuse. I sensed a rather subdued posture of the team in the 2nd half against Miami, rather than a fired up one. Sort of like Grobe's sideline posture. This team needs to be fired up and animated to win. In my opinion.

It really is. I'm not surprised by the line. While having weaknesses and struggling, Syracuse has put up over 50 points a couple of times this year. It's also in the Dome which is an odd environment. And a strong performance against the #7 Canes doesn't necessarily translate to a win against Cuse. I sensed a rather subdued posture of the team in the 2nd half against Miami, rather than a fired up one. Sort of like Grobe's sideline posture. This team needs to be fired up and animated to win. In my opinion.

This could be a problem. We might feel that since we caught an over rated team napping, that we are that good. Too often a team will rest on it's resent accomplishments and not work as hard as they should. 'Cuse had the week off and they are retiring Donovan McNabb's number. They want to go bowling too. This could be a "let down" week. Grobe must prepare the team better for it.

What game were you watching?

What game were you watching?

I think it describes the offense in the second half outside the late scoring drive. The defense played with much more intensity and just ran out of gas at the end.

Coming off a bye, I Syracuse will be far more prepared for our current offense then the teams we have played. Syracuse's defense is absolutely miserable, I would love to see similar play calling as the NCST game. I think we can definitely take advantage of their defense with our 4-5 wide set and running QB runs and HB draws. Our best chance of salvaging a run game is this week. 27-21 Deacs

Miami had limited answers to our spread offensive line and I think they're a far better coaching staff than Syracuse. I anticipate Syracuse will be similarly situated to Maryland and State with regards to how they try to attack the offense (and I expect them to fail like State and Maryland both did to stop it). I thought even if there wasn't a great scheme for Miami they would have the athleticism to get into the backfield but they really didn't pressure Tanner too much from what I recall.

I think we win convincingly, similar to do State/Maryland wins.

I think it describes the offense in the second half outside the late scoring drive. The defense played with much more intensity and just ran out of gas at the end.

Yep we didn't attempt an offensive play of over 11-12 yards from the beginning of the 3rd until we finally went behind late in the 4th. We did our very best to minimize mistakes by not attempting any big plays and just sitting in our base offense.

Basically, Grobe Gonna Grobe.

Frightening thought, the staff watches Cuse's loss to Ga. Tech 56-0 and decides since Tech is an option team, we should go with the option offense too.:eek:

If they weren't coming off a bye then I would really like our chances, but they are coming off a bye so I can see this going either way. I'll say Wake wins in a close one.

Syracuse wins easily. We don't recover from the heartbreaker and Syracuse plays pissed off their last game

Yep we didn't attempt an offensive play of over 11-12 yards from the beginning of the 3rd until we finally went behind late in the 4th. We did our very best to minimize mistakes by not attempting any big plays and just sitting in our base offense.

Basically, Grobe Gonna Grobe.

Coming out in the 3rd qtr with the same option formation was an enourmous mistake. Allowed Miami to gain momentum, as Wake went 3 and out, and lost 5 yards on an option pitch. Why won't this staff, just go with what works? IMO, if Wake comes out in the spread on the first poss of the second half, there is no reason to believe that they would have held on to the ball longer. The Martin ill advised pass to Tyree that got him hurt was just as mind numbing....

There was really no reason for the Deacs not to run the same style of offense on the first drive of the second half that they did on the first drive of the game. I agree that it was a baffling decision to go back to a little option. It was pretty obvious that Miami was going to be able to stop those types of plays, and they did all game long.

Back