• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest - Arkansas Game Thread

We looked awful during that one stretch, but when I checked back in for the second half, things looked much better. I liked the way we were playing. It looked like it was just a chemistry issue right now. Lots of people thinking and it's tough to face a fast paced opponent when that's the case. We didn't look like we quit at all, even down 30. That's a great sign.

I believe we are +37 in total rebounds after 3 games, so that's a +12.3 margin...a lot different than the past 4 years.

The one positive for CMM last night was his help on the defensive glass. I recall at least 3 rebounds he pulled down and I'd bet he had 5 or 6 for the game. I wonder, once Wilbekin gets settled and comfortable with the faster pace of CBB, if we could get away with a line up of Wilbekin at the point, Hudson as the 2, who strictly works off screens and does more catch and shooting than creating, and CMM at the 3 with DT at the 4 and Dinos/Leonard at the 5? Perhaps Arkansas simply doesn't crash the offensive glass real hard since they are cognizant of getting into their D after even a missed shot, but we have an ostensible lack of ball-handling beyond MJ, CMM & MW. But since you really don't want the poor shooting MJ & CMM on the floor together more than necessary, perhaps on offense we can get away with a smallish 3 in CMM as Hudson can play the 3 on D even if he's more of a natural shooter and hence a better 2 for this offense?

IDK, grasping at straws. Gonna be a long year no matter what, but I think we'll have some games where we'll surprise some better teams. 10-4 non-conf and maybe 7-8 wins in the ACC depending on how bad the bottom half is.

I think we will tear Iona up. Loved that DM called the TO late vs Tulane when we slacked off. He ain't putting up with feeling good and getting lax against a crap team late, especially when the Ark game was coming up. If you are in the game, you better fucking roll. If you aren't, you better be ready to roll. The bad loss to Ark was predictable. I'm not sure any of the freshmen have played against a team like that, and it showed. Hell of a teaching opportunity, though, and it only counts as 1 loss. I think the mantra is Iona needs to pay for last time, and we don't ever want to feel like we did after the Ark game. My guess is DM gets us coming out firing, and Iona apparently ain't that good. Paybacks are hell, and DM and Chill are competitive dudes. I think we play a very good game and don't let up against an inferior opponent.

Yeah, they finished 52 spots higher than us last year in KP and are currently 13 spots higher than us. I think we'll win because of the home court advantage, but to call them inferior is just ignorant. It's a pretty evenly matched game.

I haven't read the thread, but I'll go on record as saying I was not actually unhappy about most of what I saw. I saw a lot of coaching, and a lot of fight. We were harshly reminded that we do not have a point guard, which we all knew, but we also saw them respond (after panicking to the tune of some 12 points) to coaching and stopped that bleeding for the most part. They didn't quit until the end, and they cut it to 14 in the second half. Unfortunately they quit taking it inside at that point, the guard play got tentative, and they couldn't buy an outside basket, while Arkansas was unconscious from outside.

You never want to lose, and you never want to lose badly, but that game was a good experience for them that they will learn from.

Thomas is a horse.

I think only Duke and the Ville will be on the level of Arkansas for us the rest of the season. I am willing to bet we keep it close and competitive against Florida and the Cuse. I think we win 17-19 games.

Yeah, they finished 52 spots higher than us last year in KP and are currently 13 spots higher than us. I think we'll win because of the home court advantage, but to call them inferior is just ignorant. It's a pretty evenly matched game.

KP, admittedly, means little until the season gets 10-15 games underway. Last years record doesn't mean much, and they have little to go on beyond that.

Iona lost to Wofford by 13. Wofford lost to Stanford by 15. Stanford is 2-0 with a 15 pt win v. Wofford, and an 11 pt home W v. S. Dakota. I'm not seeing anything in there that makes me cringe against Iona. I don't think we are all that great, but geez, if Iona isn't inferior to us, we have a lot more problems than I thought. We should handle Iona (under DM at least).

our offense needs to revolve around Devin, the easiest way to stop our half-court offense is to limit Devin and force us to shoot outside shots

Back