• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest at Vanderbilt - 12 Noon - SECN

Our defense is probably terrible. For this game to not be close we’re going to have to put some points up.
We typically let fast QBs run all over the field. My hope is that has changed this season. Probably a fool's hope.

We typically let fast QBs run all over the field. My hope is that has changed this season. Probably a fool's hope.

yeah my recollection is that was largely because of shoddy tackling and bad LB play which I don’t think is gonna improve with better coaching.

that said, perhaps the more straightforward defensive scheme means we have someone have full ownership of spying the QB instead of the complicated option style defense from Hemphill.

yeah my recollection is that was largely because of shoddy tackling and bad LB play which I don’t think is gonna improve with better coaching.

that said, perhaps the more straightforward defensive scheme means we have someone have full ownership of spying the QB instead of the complicated option style defense from Hemphill.
I think we'll get better as the season goes along, but it'd be a miracle if Lambert turned the D around that quickly/in just one off-season.

Feels like coaching should be able to fix the bad tackling tbh.. it's about technique and playing smarter/not just going for the big hits.

I think we'll get better as the season goes along, but it'd be a miracle if Lambert turned the D around that quickly/in just one off-season.

Feels like coaching should be able to fix the bad tackling tbh.. it's about technique and playing smarter/not just going for the big hits.

i’m kinda the opposite tbh. i think there are obviously some things we can do with individual players, but that takes time and off seasons and it’s largely just talent.

but based on what other posters have said, i’m hopeful that:

1/ simplifying the scheme will allow us to reduce the number of communication / positioning mistakes which led to a lot of big plays.

2/ being able to play faster from less mental processing. a lot of the guys on defense have talked about this (eg the DL just has to beat their man, not worry about making a bunch of reads)

3/ by playing more aggressive we will shorten the amount of type the defense is on the field. even if we give up some big plays, hopefully they will be less fatigued by the end of the game. never felt like our bend but don’t break approach on defense meshed with our high tempo offense (especially with limited depth)

I didn’t think tackling was as much of an issue last week. The problem continues to be corners playing 15 yards off the line. I’m so sick of the soft coverage.

I didn’t think tackling was as much of an issue last week. The problem continues to be corners playing 15 yards off the line. I’m so sick of the soft coverage.
Hmm the main plays we got beat by in the air last week it felt like bad zone coverage OR (definitely remember this at least once) pick plays by the offense.

Should have had at least one pick because of tight coverage tbh, blew up a screen pass early.

Wait. You can bet the game on two different lines? I never knew that.

Yep. In weird situations like this you can potentially make a ton betting the middle. Say you got wake -6 and it’s now 13.5, you can now lay money in vandy +13.5 and if wake wins by more than 6 but less than 13.5 you win both bets. Having that much spread for a middle window is nuts.

Yep. In weird situations like this you can potentially make a ton betting the middle. Say you got wake -6 and it’s now 13.5, you can now lay money in vandy +13.5 and if wake wins by more than 6 but less than 13.5 you win both bets. Having that much spread for a middle window is nuts.

Too bad that Wake is going to win by 30...

Rainy day all over the southeast. Once the Crimson Tide crushes Texas, lots of TVs are going to switch to our game if it's still close.

I'm sure there is an explanation but against VMI I didn't get that either.

Surprised to see people say things like ‘coaching won’t fix tackling and LB play, etc…’. That’s exactly what good coaching will fix, IMHO.

Also, Clawson has said over and over that Lambert is aggressive so the soft coverage from our corners was likely by design against VMI. I think we will see lots of blitzes and penetration up front today. Also, Vandy’s QB is fast in open space but his footwork in the pocket is turrrible. He can’t throw without his feet set.

Deacs drop 50+ on Vandy today, Sam throws for 300 yds. and Ellison and Turner both get 100 yds. on the ground.

Back