• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest at Vanderbilt - 12 Noon - SECN

I know this is a dumb question....but can someone tell me how a Miami team that went 7-5 last year is ranked #15 while an 11-3 Wake team is ranked #23?

And with a new coach too...

The need for voters to look at the logo on the helmet above anything else is ridiculous.
The media has been obsessed with returning Miami to the Jimmy Johnson era for 3+ decades now. They're relentless.

I assume it has to do with the rain, but I really thought with all our playmakers at WR, that we would be utilizing them way more. Play calling has not really made use of them.
Best guess I have is Sam is rusty and really struggling with the rain. His passes are slow and questionable decision making. I don’t love it but it seems like clawson has decided to grind this out with the shit weather.

I don’t normally pile on but I agree with this. Why call timeout on the punt to run up the middle twice and go to halftime?
I mean, it makes sense to make them punt it to make them have to execute in the rain kick it out of there. If they had mishandled the snap or had a bad kick then we would’ve had time to go for a TD

These SEC announcers suck. Another sloppy half from the Deacs. Need to clean it up. Game should be over

Seems insulting to put a P5 OOC game on SEC Network. It may happen more often that I realize but it seems bad to get treated the same as Samford and Southern.

I mean, it makes sense to make them punt it to make them have to execute in the rain kick it out of there. If they had mishandled the snap or had a bad kick then we would’ve had time to go for a TD
Except we did have time to go for a TD or at least FG with a minute left and the ball on the 50.

I don’t normally pile on but I agree with this. Why call timeout on the punt to run up the middle twice and go to halftime?

assuming they aren’t incompetent, why do you think they would do that?

(i know this is prob a dick post, but i do think it helps understand decisions and typically there are logical / defensible reasons)

eta: my assumption is they wanted to force a punt in the awful weather. and then see if we could pop a run into FG once we were kinda close to FG range.

Seems insulting to put a P5 OOC game on SEC Network. It may happen more often that I realize but it seems bad to get treated the same as Samford and Southern.
To be fair, more people likely get SECN than ESPNU which would have been the next likely landing spot.

Except we did have time to go for a TD or at least FG with a minute left and the ball on the 50.
Obviously our coaches felt that with the weather and Sam’s rust that the reward was not worth the risk.

I’m just pointing out that it still made sense to use your timeouts make them punt it.

especially since we get the ball to start the second half.

Any news on Turner? That did not look good.

Obviously our coaches felt that with the weather and Sam’s rust that the reward was not worth the risk.

I’m just pointing out that it still made sense to use your timeouts make them punt it.
I agree with your point. I’m just frustrated as there was nothing to lose by throwing a few jump balls up to our Uber talented receivers.

I love Clawson. He gets a pass for virtually everything in my mind except two things…

1) The Wildcat is terrible. We have been trying to run that shit for five years and it’s never worked. Just stop it already, or if we are dead set on running it, please for the love put in a jumbo set and don’t start five yards back from the LOS.

2) I get we want to limit mistakes, but that shouldn’t automatically eliminate taking advantage of certain opportunities. One minute on the clock, ball on the 50, one TO…you have to try to score or at least take a shot or two. Good odds that you get a PI call and set up for a long FG or get a huge gain and work a few plays to get it into the end zone while using the TO.

Deacs looks aggressive on D, especially the secondary. LBs still missing assignments and a few bad plays on special teams, but overall we look ok. FUCK Vandy’s coaches for getting in Sam’s face.

You primarily answered this for yourself. Their qb was also really good last year as a freshman so people assumed he’d be much better as a sophomore.
Yea I get that Van Dyke is supposed to be good.....but we have a QB that is ALREADY good (though I guess the rankings could have been taking into account Sam's injury).

A QB that accounted for 50 TDs last year certainly outweighs a Sophomore that SHOULD be good.

And we go down in the rankings after 1 week after taking care of business against VMI, and NCSU stays where they are after almost losing to ECU.

Rankings are about nothing more than writers wanting to pat themselves on the back and don't want to admit they were wrong. So they keep the teams they THOUGHT would be good high, regardless of what happens or how terrible they played and looked, and then it keeps teams who were good last year, played good in the beginning of the season further down the Rankings list and can't get to where they deserve to be.

Rankings should not come out officially until Week 4 or 5. Period.

It’s all based on expected television viewership. The combined viewership for both these programs is probably less than most other P5 teams

Back