• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball - '24-25 Schedule Thread

Isn't the point that they played higher NET Q4 teams so it hurts them much less than playing teams in the 300s?
The NET looks favorably on blowing out any teams. Obviously the better team you blow out, the more it counts. But take Iowa State for example. They played 9 non-conference quad 4 teams, 5 of whom were above 300 (311, 320, 327, 341, and 354). And Iowa State ended up #6 in the NET.

The NET looks favorably on blowing out any teams. Obviously the better team you blow out, the more it counts. But take Iowa State for example. They played 9 non-conference quad 4 teams, 5 of whom were above 300 (311, 320, 327, 341, and 354). And Iowa State ended up #6 in the NET.
They also won those 9 games by a combined 345 points (over 38 per game, including 3 50+). The 4 300+ that weren’t DePaul, they won by 176 points (44 per game).

So when we say blow teams out, that’s the bar. Not trail at halftime and win by 15 or 23 or have 3, 5, 10) point leads at half and win by 22 or 29 or 24 (our actual 5 results in such games last year). Doable, yes. But that’s what we are signing up for.

And if the point is they only did that to get #6 NET, it’s leaving out that they were 11-7 across 18 quad 1 games, and 17-8 across 1/2. Turns out they were just really good.

Why all this talk about the analytics? Yes, they are bullshit, but they also weren’t a problem last year.

We played the analytics well. We scheduled dogshit teams and kept our starters in for 38 minutes and ran up the score. We also kept starters in during ACC games when the outcome was not in question.

As a result of these choices, we had an analytics ranking far better than an objective review of our wins and losses.

You claimed the MWC teams didn't play quad 4 games, when, in fact, the top 6 MWC teams played 50(!) quad 4 games. Then you moved the goal posts and said they didn't schedule quad 4 non-conference games, and when citing examples you conveniently left out the two MWC tournament teams that played the most quad 4 non-conference games. It's not minutiae, it's the whole point of the discussion.
And then I acknowledged that in fact I meant to say that MWC teams generally do not play sub-300 rated teams.

They clearly have a different scheduling philosophy than the Big Twelve. This is obvious and undeniable.

You claimed the MWC teams didn't play quad 4 games, when, in fact, the top 6 MWC teams played 50(!) quad 4 games. Then you moved the goal posts and said they didn't schedule quad 4 non-conference games, and when citing examples you conveniently left out the two MWC tournament teams that played the most quad 4 non-conference games. It's not minutiae, it's the whole point of the discussion.
I didn’t “move the goalposts”, I clearly stated that I conflated two issues and conceded you were correct.

But again while discussing Q4 games, I wonder why in your “correction” you didn’t mention SDSU and their 2 Q4 games. Must have been an honest oversight. The top 6 MWC teams averaged fewer non-con OOC Q4 games than WF.

The top 6 teams in the MWC last year played a total of 3 games against teams rated 300 or worse in Torvik. All 3 of those teams rated better than 300 in the 2023 Torvik ratings (the ratings available when the MWC set their schedules.

WF played 4 teams rated 300 or worse in Torvik - more than the top 6 MWC teams combined.

Iowa State played 15 Quad 1 games during the Big 12 regular season and tournament. They beat Houston by 28 points on a neutral floor to win the conference tournament. I’m gonna go out on a limb and suggest that had a bit of an impact on their NET rating.

Back