• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball Recruiting: Juke Harris Commits!!

Shaver kind of looks like Michael Porter, Jr.

Wake Forest: "I like the coaching staff a lot, they have been recruiting me since they have been at ETSU so I feel that we have a pretty good relationship."

Gortman told 247Sports that he is already planning visits to Wake Forest and Florida State and would also like to see NC State, Texas and Miami.

I don’t see the jab.

He seems to value relationships.

Most kids getting recruited by Duke don't call them "a pretty good program" with some "pretty good players". That seems like a good sign to me that he is not in love with Duke.

Gortman is the recruit WF needs

24/7 scouting report
Gortman is first and foremost an elite two-way competitor. He is battle tested against the highest levels of competition and embodies all toughness qualities on the court with his ability make winning plays at any time. Gortman is incredibly athletic as he has lightning quickness and tons of burst off the bounce to get wherever he wants to on the floor. He also has the ability to both create tempo on demand and change direction on a dime. He plays with a constant motor and is comfortable playing the lead or scoring guard roles as he can find the open man or make shots from all three levels when in rhythm. Defensively, his long arms combined with his quick feet make him a great defender. Gortman is more than capable of guarding the length of the floor and is adept at getting under opposing ball-handlers and generating steals. His frame underveloped but makes up for it with elite athleticism and infectious energy.

McCray placed 1st in the high jump at the SC track and field championships.

Did something bad happen to him or is that just referencing a tough COVID senior year?

McCray is a heck of an athlete. Bet he’d be a great wide receiver too......but we’ll let him focus on hoops.

Gortman is one of those keystone recruits that can determine how successful a coaching staff's tenure is going to be early on. You land a commitment like that and higher level recruits will want to join him here. Rodney Rogers is a good example of when that has worked out for us and Harry Giles is the poster boy for when it did not.

Last edited:
Gortman is one of those keystone recruits that can determine how successful a coaching staff's tenure is going to be early on. You land a commitment like that and higher level recruits will want to join him here. Rodney Rogers is a good example of when that has worked out for us and Harry Giles is the poster boy for when it did not.

agree that landing this kid makes your program legit in the eyes of his peers. There are a ton of videos of him over the past few months absolutely killing it vs elite competition in HS/AAU/Camp settings. He's top 30/40 but if he keeps playing at this level he could easily end up 5 star/top 15. He's listed as 6'1 165 but it's hard to believe he's that small from watching footage. Very long arms. Big time leaper. Crafty body control. He's fiery too. He was mic'd up on a couple videos and extremely vocal. My overly optimistic assessment is Teague athleticism/offense-Ish speed/defense

I like where we're positioned with him right now. There's no local competition & we have a strong recruiting base in Columbia. A good relationship w/ McCray would certainly help. McCray was on an opposing team on one of the vids & they're the top players in the same city so they obviously know each other. He's supposedly deciding in a few months so hopefully we're entrenched enough with him to hold off the new interest from elite programs. FSU on his list is a little worrisome but otherwise I like our chances vs the rest of his current offer list

also noticed that he goes by Jay Gort (with some referring to him as Jay Goat). Kid has swagger

Back