• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball Recruiting: Juke Harris Commits!!

saw that former '22 recruit & Iowa signee Josh Dix suffered broken tibia & fibula during a game last night

What if our roster churns every year but we’re winning?? at the the end of the day i just wanna win, idc if its transfers, international or whoever the hell else.

Yeah, I'm not down with that either. I've always thought it was weird watching Kentucky fans going crazy for entire rosters that were there for only one year and when things don't go well, those fans loudly cry that all the bad players should be run off and better players brought in for the next year.

I'm okay with transfers to some degree. Mix transfers in with traditional recruits.

But at the end of the day, what it means to be a Deac is to spend time on campus and get to know the place. That's the shared experience among WF alumni. Having a bunch of 1-year mercenaries, even if we win, wouldn't be the same for me. People even hate that in professional sports. And in fact, that also explains why most UK fans simply don't care. Most didn't go to school there anyway.

College Basketball will be much better off when the one and done rule is finally removed by the NBA.

so do you wish Alondes Williams went someplace else because he will only be here one year and won't really get to know the place? Not me. I'll take Alondes and more just like him. Sign'em up. The world has changed and we can either lead the way or get left behind and I'm tired of getting left behind.

Roster churn is a relative situation. With 13 scholarships, if every freshman graduates on time, 3 or four new faces arrive every year. Good teams turnover 4 or 5 or more spots, as they lose underclassmen to the NBA. That is part of the current situation in college basketball, whether we fans like it or not.

Yeah, I'm not down with that either. I've always thought it was weird watching Kentucky fans going crazy for entire rosters that were there for only one year and when things don't go well, those fans loudly cry that all the bad players should be run off and better players brought in for the next year.

I'm okay with transfers to some degree. Mix transfers in with traditional recruits.

But at the end of the day, what it means to be a Deac is to spend time on campus and get to know the place. That's the shared experience among WF alumni. Having a bunch of 1-year mercenaries, even if we win, wouldn't be the same for me. People even hate that in professional sports. And in fact, that also explains why most UK fans simply don't care. Most didn't go to school there anyway.

I mean, the staff is definitely working on getting there. It just takes time.

For example, imagine if we didn't have the grad transfers this year. Our entire offense would revolve around a Daivien/Jake two man game with Zay spotting up. As was the case during [Redacted] and Manning, the freshman would play too much, get dispirited by the challenge and blasted by the fans, and probably transfer. Carter Whitt would have probably driven y'all to burn your diplomas or something, Cam and Rob would be averaging 10ppg combined on like 25% FG, Matthew Marsh would probably "best case" look like those times we tried to get meaningful minutes from Ty Walker, and Lucas would look like every freshman wing that Wellman's AD tried to jam down our throats as an underrated savior and would be gone by June.

The grad transfers are key pieces to the developmental puzzle here, making it so we don't have to lean too heavily on freshmen and instill a winning culture after a generation of shit. If Mintz comes (and I think we're in a good spot here - Florida is the team to watch), then the 2022 class is suddenly filling two gigantic holes in the roster left by grad transfers - our combo-guard facilitator (ManMan) and our big men (Walton/Sy).

But, next year we already have the kind of team that you want to root for - built around Jake and Daivien with sophomore Cam, Carter, Damari, Lucas, Matthew, and Rob as supporting cast and Zach (and anybody else from 2022) waiting in the wings. If we get Judah and can convince Zay to stick around again, then Forbes will have built a fairly "organic" roster in 3 years.

But again, we're a year removed from 6-16 and two years removed from a decade of irrelevance. I'm fine with the staff turning this thing around ASAP. I honestly can't figure out why anybody isn't?

I mean, the staff is definitely working on getting there. It just takes time.

For example, imagine if we didn't have the grad transfers this year. Our entire offense would revolve around a Daivien/Jake two man game with Zay spotting up. As was the case during [Redacted] and Manning, the freshman would play too much, get dispirited by the challenge and blasted by the fans, and probably transfer. Carter Whitt would have probably driven y'all to burn your diplomas or something, Cam and Rob would be averaging 10ppg combined on like 25% FG, Matthew Marsh would probably "best case" look like those times we tried to get meaningful minutes from Ty Walker, and Lucas would look like every freshman wing that Wellman's AD tried to jam down our throats as an underrated savior and would be gone by June.

The grad transfers are key pieces to the developmental puzzle here, making it so we don't have to lean too heavily on freshmen and instill a winning culture after a generation of shit. If Mintz comes (and I think we're in a good spot here - Florida is the team to watch), then the 2022 class is suddenly filling two gigantic holes in the roster left by grad transfers - our combo-guard facilitator (ManMan) and our big men (Walton/Sy).

But, next year we already have the kind of team that you want to root for - built around Jake and Daivien with sophomore Cam, Carter, Damari, Lucas, Matthew, and Rob as supporting cast and Zach (and anybody else from 2022) waiting in the wings. If we get Judah and can convince Zay to stick around again, then Forbes will have built a fairly "organic" roster in 3 years.

But again, we're a year removed from 6-16 and two years removed from a decade of irrelevance. I'm fine with the staff turning this thing around ASAP. I honestly can't figure out why anybody isn't?

You’re assuming none of those guys who are supposed to return transfer or go pro. LaRavia could leave for the NBA, Hildreth and Marsh could say “f this” and go back to playing professionally in the UK, and Taylor and McCray could be pissed that they barely played this year and peace out. Who knows what the team will look like next year. College bball is a free for all these days.

Anything can happen, but yeah. It's just different ways of seeing the world, I guess? I'm choosing to be optimistic right now. But you're right, nobody knows.

ETA: Marsh could go back to playing professionally because he was already on his way to getting paid. Hildreth probably doesn't have those options, seeing as he was playing British pro ball, which is probably the lowest level domestic league in Europe, for free.

I trust the staff to have managed expectations last spring when Carter, Rob, Lucas and Cam knew we recruited upper class wing players. Not many of us could have foreseen Alondes, Jake and even Zay bringing the ball up and initiating our offense but this has been an evolution of style as the team grew into itself. And we are the much better for it. Regarding kids seeking immediate playing time, there are still only 5 on the floor at a time from 13 scholarships with 15 teams so 75 ACC players are starters and about 120 are playing significant portions of a game’s 200 total minutes. Do you give that chance up for the next 3 years hoping some other coach loves your game enough as a transfer to promise those minutes? Or Hildreth leaves the “friends with benefits” of College? Somewhere between 100-150 of our 200 game minutes are available in 10 months. I would take those odds to be part of rebuilding Forbes vision.
GTH Carolina!

Dallas, Sy, Damari only entered the portal about 4/1 and Alondes not until 4/15. Focus on this teams success with Keller on deck, Mintz giving us a legit look and Damari like a mid season trade.

Doubt Cam goes anywhere even with minimal playing time right now with his gf on the women's team.

so do you wish Alondes Williams went someplace else because he will only be here one year and won't really get to know the place? Not me. I'll take Alondes and more just like him. Sign'em up. The world has changed and we can either lead the way or get left behind and I'm tired of getting left behind.

I'll take Alondes. I just hope we get to watch some of these frosh develop and Jake sticks around. It's been great to see Mucious finally be part of a winning team. That part makes it sweeter for me.

Only 5 P6 teams DO NOT have at least one player who transferred in.

Regardless of the roster portal the last decade of our basketball team we have had significant roster turn. A significant number of players only stay one to two years. The exception being walk-ons. I think today's reality is the players have significant control of where they want to go to school if they want to play. I think the key to winning is a good coach that attracts elite talent by creating an environment that players enjoy on and off the court. This vibe will attract the best players regardless if they come through the portal or HS.

So true. I think that is exactly what Duke has done. Lots of one and done players on their rosters over the last decade and they seem to be doing fine.

Back