• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball Recruiting: Juke Harris Commits!!

Thank goodness because he did not inherit a team capable of competing in the ACC.

I can't look at the roster that Forbes inherited and in good faith argue that he should have kept anybody that he showed the door. The cupboard was beyond bare aside from Massoud and Mucius, who were both one dimensional players at that point in time in their careers. He lost Chill, Sarr, and Brown, and also lost two other high minute players in Andrien White and Torry Johnson.

There's probably an argument to be made about how the portal negatively impacts players who truly should be on a roster, but this aint it.

I see now that you said after year one, but I don't really change my mind on that either - DuBose, Johnson and Antonio graduated, and then Okpomo, Adams, Ingraham, Neath, Ody, Massoud, and Wilkins left. The final two are the only ones who should've had a scholarship offer in the first place, with maybe Ody on the precipice.

I was also shocked to remember that name. He shot 38% from 3 for us in his one year.
i-dont-believe-you-lies.gif

Transfer flexibility gives more power to the players in an otherwise very exploitative system and I support it.
Two sides of every coin. Is Sam getting paid to go to ND good for Sam? Yes. Is it good for the high school recruit that a guy in his mid 20s is taking up a spot at ND? Is it good for their former starting QB who they chased off to ASU?

Coaches in a lot of sports for a lot of teams are doing a lot more "exploiting" through the portal than they ever did without it. Cuse kicked a goal scorer in the soccer national championship game into the portal a week after he won them the national championship so they could poach UConn's best player. I know guys on both of those teams who say it's a complete free for all right now. I also know kids who have transferred into new and better situations. It goes both ways but imo is a net negative.

I think he was the dude with the shoulders up to his ears. No, wait, that was Darius Leonard. Dang, who was Terrence Thompson?

Terrence Thompson was a guy who started every game for us, in a season in which we played in the ACC, despite overwhelming evidence that he was not an ACC level starter

Two sides of every coin. Is Sam getting paid to go to ND good for Sam? Yes. Is it good for the high school recruit that a guy in his mid 20s is taking up a spot at ND? Is it good for their former starting QB who they chased off to ASU?

Coaches in a lot of sports for a lot of teams are doing a lot more "exploiting" through the portal than they ever did without it. Cuse kicked a goal scorer in the soccer national championship game into the portal a week after he won them the national championship so they could poach UConn's best player. I know guys on both of those teams who say it's a complete free for all right now. I also know kids who have transferred into new and better situations. It goes both ways but imo is a net negative.
Regulating the behaviors of programs and coaches while giving players the freedom to move programs and find the right fit would be great.

Terrence Thompson was a guy who started every game for us, in a season in which we played in the ACC, despite overwhelming evidence that he was not an ACC level starter
You'd THINK that would narrow it down. I still watched pretty much every game during those dark times, so I don't know if this is reflective of the era, my aging memory, or all of it. The more I think about it, I had to be in a boozy haze to even watch those games. Thank the Lord for the Forbesian epoch in which we find ourselves.

opens up a spot for the high school recruit at Wake Forest, the superior football school

I can't look at the roster that Forbes inherited and in good faith argue that he should have kept anybody that he showed the door. The cupboard was beyond bare aside from Massoud and Mucius, who were both one dimensional players at that point in time in their careers. He lost Chill, Sarr, and Brown, and also lost two other high minute players in Andrien White and Torry Johnson.

There's probably an argument to be made about how the portal negatively impacts players who truly should be on a roster, but this aint it.

I see now that you said after year one, but I don't really change my mind on that either - DuBose, Johnson and Antonio graduated, and then Okpomo, Adams, Ingraham, Neath, Ody, Massoud, and Wilkins left. The final two are the only ones who should've had a scholarship offer in the first place, with maybe Ody on the precipice.
Who was the one with no arms? Anthony Fields?

Back