• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball Recruiting: Juke Harris Commits!!

DePaul should a better program than it actual is based on location.

Their highest rated recruit out of 5 is #74. It's a good class, but #4? FSU is #1 with 4, 21, 24, 25, and 56. Four potential McDs. Damn.

Wake Forest Basketball Recruiting: Carter Whitt Commits! and Cam Hildreth from UK!

Leonard Hamilton’s pitch: “I’m 72 years old. I don’t wanna coach you for 4 years. We both want you out in 1.”

Seriously though, I don’t mind our new Seminole overlords. As long as they regress back to the mean when Hamilton retires, I’m cool with them beating UNC and Duke until we can do it.

Last edited:
How in the hell does DePaul have a top 10 class? I looked up that team under the assumption that they must have hired a new coach with some major recruiting chops/aau ties, but no, they have Dave Leitao. Leitao has been back at DePaul for fives years since he got fired by UVA and has an abysmal record of 123–132 (.478). WTF

Before the Forbes era we would have killed for that winning percentage. Let's goooooo

Not really.

DePaul has the advantage of being in Chicago, sure, but Lincoln Park (the neighborhood where DePaul is located) is nothing like it was back when DePaul was a good basketball program. That area has undergone extreme gentrification and what was once a college campus surrounded by a working class Latino neighborhood filled with multi-unit homes is now an almost exclusively white neighborhood filled with multi-million dollar mansions. DePaul is now basically Northwestern (in terms of culture surrounding the university) without the academics. In the last ten to fifteen years alone, the area has lost almost all of its college culture, as the Alderman and neighborhood groups have put pressure on landlords to shut down the stretch of bars that used to be right next to campus. If I looking at Chicago to play college basketball, I would much rather be at Loyola or UIC than DePaul at this point.

Last edited:
Not really.

DePaul has the advantage of being in Chicago, sure, but Lincoln Park (the neighborhood where DePaul is located) is nothing like it was back when DePaul was a good basketball program. That area has undergone extreme gentrification and what was once a college campus surrounded by a working class Latino neighborhood filled with multi-unit homes is now an almost exclusively white neighborhood filled with multi-million dollar mansions. DePaul is now basically Northwestern (in terms of culture surrounding the university) without the academics. In the last ten to fifteen years alone, the area has lost almost all of its college culture, as the Alderman and neighborhood groups have put pressure on landlords to shut down the stretch of bars that used to be right next to campus. If I looking at Chicago to play college basketball, I would much rather be at Loyola or UIC than DePaul at this point.

So, DePaul would be similar to Georgetown (in terms of surroundings and atmosphere)? I understand that the recruiting is better in Chicago; the population numbers almost guarantee that, even adding in NOVA and Baltimore.

So, DePaul would be similar to Georgetown (in terms of surroundings and atmosphere)? I understand that the recruiting is better in Chicago; the population numbers almost guarantee that, even adding in NOVA and Baltimore.

I've never been to Georgetown, so my understanding of it might be wrong in terms of specifics, but I would say that's an accurate assessment based on what I've heard about Georgetown. Of course, DePaul is not nearly as good of a school as Georgetown - we're talking 100 spots lower on the US News Rankings.

At least DePaul stopped playing their games in Rosemont and has a nice good-sized arena in the city, albeit nowhere close to campus.

Playing in the Big East makes it a better spot than Loyola and definitely UIC.

At least DePaul stopped playing their games in Rosemont and has a nice good-sized arena in the city, albeit nowhere close to campus.

Playing in the Big East makes it a better spot than Loyola and definitely UIC.

Yeah. I was thinking about that. I didn’t know about the gentrification.

Their highest rated recruit out of 5 is #74. It's a good class, but #4? FSU is #1 with 4, 21, 24, 25, and 56. Four potential McDs. Damn.

Have you ever been to DePaul's, err, campus (I use that word loosely). Loyola and Northwestern both have massive advantages in terms of actually being able to show a recruit a real campus.

Not really.

For fucks sake I don't even know where to begin with all the inaccuracies in this post. DePaul has always had a shit campus and Lincoln Park has been a gentrified enclave within the city since before time began. Like the last time they were good was 1984 and Lincoln Park was pretty much exactly the same neighborhood then it is today (given I spent many a high school night wandering around Lincoln Park from bar to bar back then I would have a solid frame of reference). Of the Chicago schools the one that should be great is Northwestern. So easy to recruit to that school if they'd put in any effort. And Loyola also has a built in advantage in that they too have an actual campus right on Lake Michigan. DePaul was good once for one reason - Meyer. And, to be clear, I was in Lincoln Park last weekend. It still has a lot of fucking bars.

Last edited:
Today I learned DeacMan leaves Minnesota.

Lincoln Park has a ton of bars that are virtually indistinguishable from each other

Lenoir Community College should be a powerhouse program with all of the NBA players coming out of Kinston

For fucks sake I don't even know where to begin with all the inaccuracies in this post. DePaul has always had a shit campus and Lincoln Park has been a gentrified enclave within the city since before time began. Like the last time they were good was 1984 and Lincoln Park was pretty much exactly the same neighborhood then it is today (given I spent many a high school night wandering around Lincoln Park from bar to bar back then I would have a solid frame of reference). Of the Chicago schools the one that should be great is Northwestern. So easy to recruit to that school if they'd put in any effort. And Loyola also has a built in advantage in that they too have an actual campus right on Lake Michigan. DePaul was good once for one reason - Meyer. And, to be clear, I was in Lincoln Park last weekend. It still has a lot of fucking bars.

So sorry that my working in Lincoln Park for the last decade and a half and seeing the changes in the neighborhood firsthand isn't enough for you, I'll try better next time.

Applewhite was Whitts AAU teammate on Team Thad so they know each other well. Applewhite is a smooth wing who can really shoot it. Would love to land him.

I still want a big first (cough Jonas Aidoo cough).

I still want a big first (cough Jonas Aidoo cough).
I wouldn't hold my breath on Aidoo. He's been blowing up this Summer/Fall & doesn't plan on deciding until the Spring. If he were making a decision shortly, I'd feel decently good about WF's chances but the longer his recruitment goes on, the lower WF's chances get since he's likely to have continued his ascent in the rankings & the bluebloods will be even more involved (UNC is already talking with him).

I wouldn't hold my breath on Aidoo. He's been blowing up this Summer/Fall & doesn't plan on deciding until the Spring. If he were making a decision shortly, I'd feel decently good about WF's chances but the longer his recruitment goes on, the lower WF's chances get since he's likely to have continued his ascent in the rankings & the bluebloods will be even more involved (UNC is already talking with him).

What I wish has little (no) influence on who commits to Wake. I was thinking a big was a greater need for 2021. However, I trust Forbes to get the guys he wants.

Back