• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball Recruiting: Juke Harris Commits!!

Gimme some comps on this dude. A 6'3" Dennis Scott? Eric Snow if he can put on 30 pounds and can play great defense? Some facile white/white comp of Jimmer Fredette? Somewhere between Steph Curry and Torgrim Sommerfeldt? Hit me with them.
future Adam Morrison, Gonzaga!

Marsh is going to work on his shot blocking and a baby hook this offseason and dominate next year when we go big. We really are an elite PG away from being a legitimately good team next season, IMO.

Marsh is going to work on his shot blocking and a baby hook this offseason and dominate next year when we go big. We really are an elite PG away from being a legitimately good team next season, IMO.
Hildreth needs to teach Marsh about 1/4 of his near rim moves. That would help Marsh's game a lot.

Is shot blocking something you can just pick up and learn in an off-season? I mean he's obviously tall and could do better at altering shots, and has some decent hops for a big man. I would THINK you could utilize that to at least make him a bigger threat, but I think timing and reading the offensive player is something that you either have or you don't as a skill for the most part.

I may be way off on this, as I never played down low in any basketball I played.

You can always work on your footwork. Can’t teach tall, but you can work on things like not biting on fakes (we suck at this) and forcing a guy to his bad hand.

I hope that becomes reality, but at the moment the reality is they currently have one of the best PG's in the entire country and they are trying to claw their way into the discussion.

I see your point daaberry. I think the optimist in me sees (for next year) a year of growth and improvement from Cam, Bobi, Carr and the bigs, and hopefully another year of Monsanto sticking around, plus a high level PG from the portal and possibly one or two of the freshman being added to the mix along with Ituka fully recovered. I also agree that a rim protector type could be extremely valuable. Can we get that big from Utah Valley, please?

I hope that becomes reality, but at the moment the reality is they currently have one of the best PG's in the entire country and they are trying to claw their way into the discussion.
The other side of that reality is that without one of the best point guards in the country Wake would likely be playing Tuesday of the ACC Tournament.

Another vote for a primo point guard as the biggest need for next year. Preferably one with some P6 experience.

Yes, not sure about the shot blocking, but the baby hook is a no brainer.

You can always work on your footwork. Can’t teach tall, but you can work on things like not biting on fakes (we suck at this) and forcing a guy to his bad hand.
Marsh is just too slow. That's not going to get fixed in the off season. Same for Bradford.

Is shot blocking something you can just pick up and learn in an off-season? I mean he's obviously tall and could do better at altering shots, and has some decent hops for a big man. I would THINK you could utilize that to at least make him a bigger threat, but I think timing and reading the offensive player is something that you either have or you don't as a skill for the most part.

I may be way off on this, as I never played down low in any basketball I played.
Pete Newell can work magic, Df27, MAGIC !

Bradford just looks much heavier and slower than he did pre-injury. Maybe he can get back to his original shape in the offseason, but his lift and athleticism now vs. 2 years ago is night and day.

I don't see Marsh as uniquely slow physically any more than I see him as unable to jump - he gets plenty high for alley-oops and can run the floor well for his size. He just hasn't been able to turn his physical gifts into basketball skills. When folks say you never know when or if a big man will develop, Marsh is perhaps the perfect example. Even his free throw form looks mechanically good, he's just bad at shooting them during actual college basketball games. We've all seen him make pretty crazy catches near the rim and finish even on non-dunks, but then he drops perfect passes even when he has position on offense.

He gives up boards to smaller players even when he gets a hand on the ball first. He gets sped up immediately upon touching the ball on offense. Defensively he's not great at determining when to use his size to body guys up and when to use his height, and he doesn't seem to anticipate much. He's not a natural shot blocker or rebounder, but the reason certain big men make huge leaps after an offseason of dedicated work is because those are all skills that you can get better at in a hurry. They can definitely just start to click. I'd probably have more faith that Marsh was headed towards that kind of jump if he seemed a little stronger mentally, but he could still make a leap. Per 40 he's 4th in scoring for us and 1st in boards. But his d-rating is awful on a team that already has problems defending.

I think he's both closer than folks realize but also not guaranteed to make the leap to guaranteed full year starter.

Good post, DCDeac. I certainly wouldn't turn away an interested elite big, but I think next year's team will be fine with Marsh, Bradford, and Keller at C with the ability to go small with Carr.

I think with all the pieces basically filled outside of point guard for next year we will be a very attractive home for some stud point. We got two in the last two years, I say Forbes goes 3 for 3. Forbes lets his point guards run the show and does not over coach which is a big plus. Gotta believe Marsh makes a decent jump.

A guy like Marsh might end up being better in the pros simply because he had time to grow and mature in the college game. He wouldn’t be the first guy this happened to.

Big men are pretty much always slower to develop. Just takes a while for them to figure out how to work with their bodies. The list is long of big men that showed flashes early in their career but rounded into polished players by their Senior year.

Back