• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball Season Preview: Can Wake Make the Postseason?

CumberlandDeac

Reaction score
Hate to be "that guy" who pimps his own work, but I think you all will enjoy the Wake basketball season preview on Blogger So Dear. The article includes some subtle jabs at [Redacted], analysis of every player and a prediction on how many games we will win this season.

Feel free to comment and tell me if you agree. If you tell me I suck and I'm dead wrong, that's fine too.

http://www.bloggersodear.com/2013/1...as-travis-mckie-jeff-[Redacted]-demon-deacons

Solid analysis.

I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb here when I say I don't think we make the postseason. I'm excited to see the development this year though, but mainly I'm excited about our savior coming in next year to get the program back on the up and up. With a guard of his caliber in the back court along with CMM, I think we can expect some big things from Wake. I'm of course talking about Rondale Watson...what did you think I was talking about Shelton? Psh.

Since some people consider the ACC Tournament "the postseason," I think we have a pretty good shot.

Nice article. I do not think we will make the post season. Bzz will cost is a couple of games by not having the team ready and them getting down a bunch early. I think Travis is the X factor. Too many times last year he disappeared for significant minutes. Needs to play 100% all the time he is on the floor. I think 13-15 wins is max.

Solid analysis.

I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb here when I say I don't think we make the postseason. I'm excited to see the development this year though, but mainly I'm excited about our savior coming in next year to get the program back on the up and up. With a guard of his caliber in the back court along with CMM, I think we can expect some big things from Wake. I'm of course talking about Rondale Watson...what did you think I was talking about Shelton? Psh.

SHAKA'S COMING!?!

Since some people consider the ACC Tournament "the postseason," I think we have a pretty good shot.

Nah. Postseason is something you have to qualify for; something you have to earn.

I wouldn't at all say that Travis has been consistant. I would say he's been consistantly inconsistant thru his 3 years.

He too often stays off by himself in the corner for long periods. He needs to be fed the ball as opposed to going and getting the ball as a go-to player does. He also has a naturally very reserved personna so being a vocal leader is not to be expected. Some nights he's 'o.k. to good' but other nights he's just not a factor at all.

This new transfer kid seems to have a little 'give me the ball' in him. That's something we also need now from CMM.

My guess is we win 16-17 games.

Good analysis. Hard to believe before Bzz - Wake made it to 18 of 20 postseasons, even though it includes many NIT trips - that is pretty amazing. It also illustrates how badly Ron flubbed this up.

This coaching staff makes awful decisions in hyping up players before they ever hit the court:
Chennault
Green
CMM

I know Bzz thinks Deac fans will eat anything we are fed, but he has been wrong across the board in his "hype".

I wouldn't at all say that Travis has been consistant. I would say he's been consistantly inconsistant thru his 3 years.

He too often stays off by himself in the corner for long periods. He needs to be fed the ball as opposed to going and getting the ball as a go-to player does. He also has a naturally very reserved personna so being a vocal leader is not to be expected. Some nights he's 'o.k. to good' but other nights he's just not a factor at all.

This new transfer kid seems to have a little 'give me the ball' in him. That's something we also need now from CMM.

My guess is we win 16-17 games.

I agree with this. He comes and goes way too often. The coaches are at fault with this, by not running any sets for him, or keeping him involved on offense. It's almost like Bzz is okay with Travis over in the corner.

Uh, no. The Bzzaster continues...

We are now in year 4 AD (After Dino) and no closer to making the postseason than I am to dating Kate Upton.

Nah. Postseason is something you have to qualify for; something you have to earn.

Jim-Mora-playoffs.jpeg

Unrelated, but why has Shelton fallen from the 20s to the 70s in recruiting? Did Buzz get his stink on Shelton already?

Is it true McClinton might only be a few weeks away? Redshirt has been taken off the table I assume?

Can Buzz make the NIT? This will be the question asked before every season until Buzz is gone. This is Buzz's ceiling. To the critics of #ScorchedEarth, would you like to continue asking this question for another 2 or 3 years or would you prefer to be absolutely terrible for one more year with a new leader brought in in 2014 with a much higher ceiling? #ScorchedEarthIN. Lose every game. Burn it to the ground.

Cumberland, your assertion that our conference schedule is "very difficult" misses the mark. Either that or you're too young to remember what ACC hoops was like in the 70s, 80s, 90s and early 00s. Bob Staak's ACC schedule was beyond very difficult - it was brutal. Now the ACC only has a handful of very good teams (Dick, UVA, Cuse, ND and UNC), and most of those we only have to play once. And for each of those good teams, we get 2 games against mediocre or bad teams (Miami, Clem, GT, VT, NCSt, FSU, BC, Md and Pitt). Add to that Buzzdick scheduled mostly OOC cupcakes outside of his Caribbean excursion. I would assert that this schedule is not "historically competitive" when compared to Wake schedules of the past 40 years.

Be that as it may, this team has a some decent talent - not great, but decent. We have no stars, but Devin and Travis are ACC caliber starters (whether Travis gets the most out of his abilities is a different issue), and CMM should be ACC caliber. Add to that we have a bunch of nice role players who all have something to contribute (Moto, Rountree, Williams and Jones). It's Buzzdick's fault that he hasn't recruited enough big men to give us any sort of quality depth down low. But all in all, if this were a reasonably well coached team that played good defense, I'd say it'd be a 19-20 game winner and NIT participant. Maybe a little better if everything ended up clicking. As it is, Buzzdick is our coach, and we play awful D and therefore can't win on the road. So we'll win an uninspiring 13-15 and miss out on postseason play.

Back