• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball Season Preview: Can Wake Make the Postseason?

BC is a top 40 team. If you take the top 9 teams in the ACC now and compare them to the 9 teams in the 90's that were in the ACC, I think it's likely that they are within a relative margin of one another. "Half of the ACC" having the ability to get to the Final Four these days would require 7 or 8 teams have that ability. That's simply not likely given the improved nature of mid-majors and the larger conferences. The ACC certainly has four or five teams this year that could reach the Final Four in my opinion.

I'll believe BC is ready for a Tourney berth when I see it. They're gonna have to be significantly improved from last year to be that good. In the 90s we only had 9 teams, but there were always 5-6 quality tourney teams that I'd match against the top 5-6 today in the greatly expanded ACC. And the dregs back then were rarely as bad as the large number of dregs we've had the last 2-3 years - with us, VT, BC (before this upcoming magical season), Clem's son & GT. I know I sound like an old curmudgeon, which I am. But the state of college hoops, and even more so the state of the ACC, really ain't nothing like it was between the late 70s and early 00s. Which means that if you're a completely floundering program for 4 years in this environment, then you really, really suck hairy moose cock.

FSU went 18-15 last year and got into the NIT with a non-conference schedule ranked 218th. I don't know where Wake's rank will be but I would guess between 250-300 maybe?

But they went 9-9 in the ACC. I don't see any way we go 9-9 in the ACC.

The ACC this year is going to be about as good as it has ever been. Duke, Syracuse, UNC (if Hairston is eligible), Notre Dame, Pitt, Virginia, and BC are positioned well to make the tournament and some of these teams can make championship runs (Duke, Syracuse, maybe UNC).

I'm just not sure I see the relevance to saying whether or not our schedule is difficult compared to an ACC schedule or the 70s/80s/90s. It's a difficult conference schedule for the 2013-2014 season and that's all they would be judged on if they were being judged by the NCAA Tournament selection committee (not saying this team has a chance at even getting close to bubble consideration). Would they say Wake's hypothetical win over North Carolina wasn't that impressive because Michael Jordan wasn't on the roster? No, they would look at it as a win over a top 10 opponent. Our conference schedule is difficult by 2013 standards and that's all that matters. I don't think we need to schedule John Wooden's UCLA Bruins led by Bill Walton to say we faced a tough opponent.
That's because there isn't any. Our conference schedule most certainly is difficult in comparison to (i) other potential iterations of an unbalanced 18-game schedule, in which you play some opponents only once and others only home (or away), and to (ii) the the general landscape comprised of those teams playing college basketball now, in 2013-14.

Whether we have a difficult schedule or not is in 2013-14 a conclusion that refers only to other schedules other teams play during 2013-14. We don't need memories of Curtis Staples or Steve Francis or Ilian Evtimov or whoever the eff else used to play in this league to make this determination.

I think Coron is a great addition to the team, happy to have him here, but I can't help but be reminded of the digs Wellman and his supporters got in on the NBA caliber players who were only here for a year or two. They'd mention how important it is that the students relate to these new players and can look forward to seeing them in classes for four years- they stressed how important this is for a college basketball program. And then they bring in Coron. I wish the people who regularly parrot Wellman could see through the bullshit.

No NBA players=failure in NCAA basketball ....it's just that simple...

Exactly what on GT are we not supposed to overlook?

Robert Carter and Marcus Georges-Hunt should be much improved as sophomores. Daniel Miller is an excellent shot blocker on the interior and they bring in transfer point guard Trae Golden from Tennessee.

What this boils down to is that Wellman and Buzz are tying to engineer a horrible team into a mediocre team so they can statisticulate some progress. Mediocre teams hope to make the NIT. Getting the beloved NIT bid is affected by the relative success and/or statisticulation of other mediocre teams. This is the new essence of WFU sports. We don't strive to be good, we just want to get somewhere near the middle of the bell curve and trot out arguments that such is progress.

I don't know how anyone not getting paid to do so can be a passionate WFU sports fan in 2013. To do so is to hope for something the people in charge don't even aspire to.

Last edited:
What this boils down to is that Wellman and Buzz are tying to engineer a horrible team into a mediocre team so they can statisticulate some progress. Mediocre teams hope to make the NIT. Getting the beloved NIT bid is affected by the relative success and/or statisticulation of other mediocre teams. This is the new essence of WFU sports. We don't strive to be good, we just want to get somewhere near the middle of the bell curve and trot out arguments that such is progress.

I don't know how anyone not getting paid to do so can be a passionate WFU sports fan in 2013. To do so it to hope for something the people in charge don't even aspire to.
This. So much this. Great post.

I don't know how anyone not getting paid to do so can be a passionate WFU sports fan in 2013. To do so it to hope for something the people in charge don't even aspire to.

Beer. Lots of beer.

Back