• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest - Clemson Game Thread

He has the highest paid coaching staff in the nation and takes all the credit. He is a cheerleader on the sidelines. He's no coaching strategist like Saban, Meyer, Cutcliffe, Briles, Patterson, etc. He has the budget to hire the best assistants in the country and he is smart enough to let them coach and he does do a good job in recruiting. He wasn't such a good coach when Clemson kept "Clemsoning", lost 5 straight to Spurrier and got spanked by WV in the bowl game by 60 points.

Btw, Clawson's tone wasn't whining about Clemson trying to run up the score, just saying that we legitimately stopped them. Meaning they didn't take the foot off the gas, but were trying to run it up and everyone saw that - and we stopped them.

I'm old enough to remember that one. We had the ball with a chance to win and the shotgun snap went over Venuto's head. As hot as Venuto, Duckett and Baumgardner were, we would have won that game otherwise. Very few people saw it because most everyone had left Groves Stadium by the 4th quarter.

Marshall Archie dropped the 2 pt conversion that would have tied it. What a comeback. Wolford had the "IT" factor, but lost it. Play Hinton and beat Duke.

I think you would be wrong because he certainly hasn't fallen on his face at Clemson, has coached his ass off, put family first and had Clemson always in the Top of our league and the national rankings. His priorities are right and he can coach.

Dabo is a great recruiter and motivator, not a great coach. Trying to follow Nick at Bama, I'd put my money on him being a disappointment. Of course that might still mean he'd average 10 wins a season, but I don't think he'd keep them at the same level.

Dabo is a great recruiter and motivator, not a great coach. Trying to follow Nick at Bama, I'd put my money on him being a disappointment. Of course that might still mean he'd average 10 wins a season, but I don't think he'd keep them at the same level.

And he's smart enough to recognize that and surround himself with great assistant coaches who can do what he can't. I'm not a big fan of Dabo, but he knows what he's doing.

And he's smart enough to recognize that and surround himself with great assistant coaches who can do what he can't. I'm not a big fan of Dabo, but he knows what he's doing.

Oh I agree with that, I just don't think he would be as good at Bama.

As "Big Al" Groh said one memorable 82 point day many years ago, "It's not Clemson's job to stop Clemson, it's my job to stop Clemson". Yesterday it was Clawson's job to stop Clemson, and at least in the second half he did a pretty good job of it.

Btw, Clawson's tone wasn't whining about Clemson trying to run up the score, just saying that we legitimately stopped them. Meaning they didn't take the foot off the gas, but were trying to run it up and everyone saw that - and we stopped them.

Yeah, I don't think he was whining, I think he was proud of our defense.

As "Big Al" Groh said one memorable 82 point day many years ago, "It's not Clemson's job to stop Clemson, it's my job to stop Clemson". Yesterday it was Clawson's job to stop Clemson, and at least in the second half he did a pretty good job of it.

I was whining about it, not Clawson. For what it's worth that mantra definitely holds in the pros. But at some point at the collegiate level you call the dogs off. Up by 20 with under 2 minutes to go is that time. Dabo can certainly do what he thinks he needs to do to impress folks. But at the end of the day he wins out and they remain the #1 in the Playoffs.

I don't care whether or not Clemson was trying to run up the score or whether or not running up the score was the right thing to do.

I'm just happy that Clawson is sending the message that Wake is not going to be anybody's little bitch and that we're going to inflict as much pain as possible even in a loss.

I don't get the Dabo hate. I'm no Clemson fan, but he strikes me as a good coach and an OK guy.

Dabo is a super Christy bible thumping hypocrite. The program has become a big mega church, and a money machine. His behavoir at the wake game last year was disgraceful.

Clawson's willingness to fight for his team has been about the most impressive thing about his first 2 years on the job. In fact, it's pretty similar to Dabo's willingness to fight for his team.

Has anyone ever asked Clawson why he plays Wolford over Hinton, or is it just speculation about the offensive schemes fitting Wolford's style better?

It's not even debatable who the better QB is at this point in the season. Hope Clawson and Co. realize that and play him against Duke. Go Deacs

Has anyone ever asked Clawson why he plays Wolford over Hinton, or is it just speculation about the offensive schemes fitting Wolford's style better?

It's not even debatable who the better QB is at this point in the season. Hope Clawson and Co. realize that and play him against Duke. Go Deacs

Agree. With the current state of our o-line Hinton is clearly the better choice. Claw may be trying to protect the position by not having just one QB take all of the punishment they are enduring.

If you don't think Dabo can coach you are an idiot. The guy has defeated like 7 of the top 10 active wins list in the past 5 years. He's doing just fine without Chad Morris this year.

Lol, Dabo isn't a good coach? You're a moran.

Yeah, I don't think he was whining, I think he was proud of our defense.

We should be proud of our defense.
The past 2 weeks, we've played the #4 and #1 teams in the country. We were huge underdogs in each game.
Most people thought we would get slaughtered in each game.
We didn't win, but we played tough and made it difficult on both ND and Clemson.
I don't think either of them came away with the type of win they were expecting
Next year, our D will be a force.

Didn't say Dabo isn't a good "coach". Said he isn't a tactician. See above. He was an assistant at Alabama for 3 years , sold real estate for 2 years, and was hired by Bowden as a recruiter. He walked into a top 15 job when Bowden was fired and has kept his job by being a good recruiter, hiring the highest paid assistants in the nation, and coordinating everything in the program very well. He appears to be loved by his players and is good with PR for the most part. But he's no Spurrier. He didn't work his way to the top by winning the ACC at Duke or building programs at other schools. He doesn't call the offensive or defensive plays. He has lost to Spurrier 5 straight times. He is on a roll with recruiting and Clemson is undefeated so far this year. Let's see if they can finish it off without "Clemsoning".

Back