• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Ends Daytime MBA Program

RaleighDeacon

Reaction score
Heard about this from a friend of mine who is/was on the board for the business school's daytime MBA program.

Wake Forest University Hones Its Focus for Changing MBA Market

So, Wake will still offer the flex MBA you can get while working, but you can no longer attend a daytime, full-time program for an MBA. Interesting change. Can't say I'm overly shocked, except that it's a highly ranked MBA program doing it. Anyone know if any other big time business schools are going this route?

Wake is not a big time MBA progran

Probably a good way to maximize the quality of students in today's market

Honestly the best thing for the students too.

Business school isn't worth it aside from a handful of programs (Wake not among them), so if you're gonna do it, you should be working at the same time.

Business school isn't worth it aside from a handful of programs (Wake not among them), so if you're gonna do it, you should be working at the same time.

so true

I don't disagree. I got my MBA from NC State while working full-time and I think it's definitely the way to do it. The practical experience from working is vital. I would argue you should have at least 5 years of experience working before you can even be considered for an MBA.

However, I just wonder how it will be viewed. I know Wake is not a big-time program like Harvard, Northwestern, Duke, UNC, etc. but it's not like it's out of the top 100. I'm just curious how it will be perceived.

+1

I think this move makes sense for the reasons mentioned above, but I also believe they need to amp up online education if they want to broaden their reach.

When I went to Wake for my MBA, we all discussed what money maker the program had to be, Needs little in the way of facilities and charges graduate school rates. Surprised to see this, but if enrollment is dropping, what do you do?

All great points made so far. It's also a very sound idea financially. Very few evening/weekend students receive scholarship/financial aid, most are full-pay. Often companies will pay for part of all of the MBA for their employee for an agreement to work X number of years post graduation.

I don't disagree. I got my MBA from NC State while working full-time and I think it's definitely the way to do it. The practical experience from working is vital. I would argue you should have at least 5 years of experience working before you can even be considered for an MBA.

However, I just wonder how it will be viewed. I know Wake is not a big-time program like Harvard, Northwestern, Duke, UNC, etc. but it's not like it's out of the top 100. I'm just curious how it will be perceived.

My thoughts as well - my impression was that Wake would be considered at least a very solid MBA school - can you still be considered a serious MBA program if you don't even have a full-time/daytime program?

Makes it regrettable that the b-school was moved to the north campus, but then there really wasn't anywhere to expand on south campus and obviously more room was needed.

Seems like the one-year MA in Management is becoming much more popular, so I wonder if that hurt the enrollment of the full-time MBA program

Makes it regrettable that the b-school was moved to the north campus, but then there really wasn't anywhere to expand on south campus and obviously more room was needed.

Wait, really? It wasn't that long ago that they built a new business school attached to the math / cs building (Manchester?) Whats in there now?

Yeah, seems like they didn't have any sort of plan over the past 10 years if you're combining the two schools then dissolving one of them.

B school was great. Agree that it needs to be a top 20 program to be worthwhile

Back