• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Extends Contract for Baseball Head Coach Tom Walter

There’s a difference between nitpicking coaching decisions and being happy with having/extending a coach.

Anyone is free to criticize Walter’s choice to sac bunt or whatever. But at this point, anyone with doubts about this contract extension is either an intentional contrarian, an idiot, or not paying attention.

There’s a difference between nitpicking coaching decisions and being happy with having/extending a coach.

Anyone is free to criticize Walter’s choice to sac bunt or whatever. But at this point, anyone with doubts about this contract extension is either an intentional contrarian, an idiot, or not paying attention.
Or graduated in the 80’s.

Agreed, but the general tenor before this season was not "gee, wish we hadn't bunted there" but more of the "can him" variety.

Reason 4,322 why Currie is so much better than Wellman

read the first few pages. Lots of Walter wait and see. One or two who wanted him fired. Mainly @cheeseheads12

Doesn’t really seem like it was “general tenor” that people wanted him fired.

here’s an interesting tidbit about how far we’ve comr.

the entire 2021 season thread (started in january, season ended in june, lasted through the offseason) had 76 pages. preseason top 25 team mind you.

this years thread went though 114 pages just on june 22.

The sentiment before and after the ‘21 season was pretty universal IIRC. The ‘22 season brought a lot of wins, some new staff members, and young talent that pulled a lot of people back to the middle at least to give it one more year. Awesome that it worked out, because he’s obviously a great fit for the university.

alot of people were saying its a put up or shut up year, and man did he put up.

the best season of the 3 major sports in WFU history.
And I don’t know how many people would have included it in the Major 3 before this year. But we are all happy to now, thanks to Tom and his memorable crew. A paradigm changing season for the program.

The sentiment before and after the ‘21 season was pretty universal IIRC. The ‘22 season brought a lot of wins, some new staff members, and young talent that pulled a lot of people back to the middle at least to give it one more year. Awesome that it worked out, because he’s obviously a great fit for the university.
My general feeling with Walter has been that at whatever point his time at Wake is finished he has and will leave the program in much better shape than he found it. That’s true in pretty much every year of his long tenure. He’s been an outstanding fundraiser and advocate for his program.

Ah so many keyboard warriors. He’s been here 14 years, the first 13 of which were … “fine”. And no you dolts I’m not trying to compare first four in hoops to CWS but the “hey finally a great year let’s extend the shit out of them” strategy didn’t really work out with Mannequin and Grobe and oh btw Hoover who Currie extended and then canned 12 months later. God forbid anyone anyone apply any critical reasoning to the situation.

Walter seems like a great dude and maybe Currie felt this was the best move - I have no idea and I’m a million miles from his shoes. But I also think it’s fair to ask questions. If I had 13 fine years and then knocked it out of the park (metaphor alert) my company would say “about fucking time”.

Given the length of his tenure, I'm okay with this extension but also realize there were many "what-if" seasons.

What bothers me is the number of players who have entered the portal. Then again, I guess that's just par-for-the-course at this point in sports and not on Walter.

It would be insane not to have renewed him so I guess it makes sense.

My general feeling with Walter has been that at whatever point his time at Wake is finished he has and will leave the program in much better shape than he found it. That’s true in pretty much every year of his long tenure. He’s been an outstanding fundraiser and advocate for his program.
Great post.

Ah so many keyboard warriors. He’s been here 14 years, the first 13 of which were … “fine”. And no you dolts I’m not trying to compare first four in hoops to CWS but the “hey finally a great year let’s extend the shit out of them” strategy didn’t really work out with Mannequin and Grobe and oh btw Hoover who Currie extended and then canned 12 months later. God forbid anyone anyone apply any critical reasoning to the situation.

Walter seems like a great dude and maybe Currie felt this was the best move - I have no idea and I’m a million miles from his shoes. But I also think it’s fair to ask questions. If I had 13 fine years and then knocked it out of the pa
With Hoover, the fact that he fired her the next year would lead me to believe that the extension wasn't structured to be any more than a glorified severance package for one of the few WF women's basketball greats who was the coach.

The Grobe extension made perfect sense at the time and it was likely he would have completed most of that contract which he did. It wasn't like Wake had any sustained football success before he arrived.

Walter seems like a great dude and maybe Currie felt this was the best move - I have no idea and I’m a million miles from his shoes. But I also think it’s fair to ask questions. If I had 13 fine years and then knocked it out of the park (metaphor alert) my company would say “about fucking time”.
I think the point made earlier about how other universities would treat the situation is generally valuable. Extending Walter to reward for the season plus increase likelihood we keep him is a pretty standard decision across the board I’d imagine

Back