• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest @ Florida State - 7pm RSN

DeacsATS

Sam "Ace" Rothstein
Reaction score
FSU favored by 4.5 at my book... same line as Clemson game (though that one moved to 2.5 by tipoff).

For me, we've officially reached the point of the season where we are building for next year... though I'm sure most would argue that this has been a "throw away" season from the start. Would love for us to break through w/ a conference road win. Hell, I'd take any kind of win at 1-6 in the ACC.

Thoughts? Predictions?

I'll say we pull this one out...

Wake Forest 71
Florida State 65

I'm not sure we're even building for next year. I think the new guys coming in are going to be good but they will not be good enough to make us a post season team right off the bat. And then what experience we have from Buzz's magical class will be moving on. I'd say next year when we are half through a mediocre to bad season, if we have a great class coming in (Kwe, Giles), you can say we are building for next year. Best case scenario we are still years away.

Winning now is important. Learning how to win, showing recruits we can win, showing ESPN we are with televising, etc.

Thought FSU was supposed to be good this year? See they are 10-10.

is it just me or are the game threads starting earlier and earlier lately? i guess we can attribute that to the interest in wake basketball finally thawing out after it's forced hiatus the last 4 years.

is it just me or are the game threads starting earlier and earlier lately? i guess we can attribute that to the interest in wake basketball finally thawing out after it's forced hiatus the last 4 years.

They're starting earlier, which I guess is a cool thing, but it's unfortunately outweighed by the fact that only one in ten threads these days actually pertains to Wake sports. The rest are devoted to NFL, various NFL divisions, NBA, various NBA divisions, soccer, World Cup soccer, international soccer, various divisions within various leagues in international soccer, and the transfer of soccer players between and among various teams within various divisions within international soccer.

Don't get me wrong. I like all sports. But the amount of WF-specific discussion has tailed off a lot over the last year or two. I actually find myself venturing back over to TOS occasionally to get my fix.

I don't consider this season a lost cause quite yet.

We're 1-6 in the ACC, which is horrible. But 4 of those games - Duke, Louisville, UNC, Syracuse - were against very good teams. Outside of those we've only played one home game, which we won. NC State on the road is tough this year, and Clemson was a game we controlled for 95% and blew it at the end.

In our stretch of winnable games I was hoping for 2-1 and instead we're 0-3 to start. Yet one game went to OT and one took an epic meltdown to lose. Every game we have until UVA is winnable. I'd like to see us get to 7 ACC wins or better and land in the top 10 with some separation from the bottom 5. With the ACC having 6 or 7 ranked teams that would be legitimate progress, not just moral victory style progress.

I realize this is a far-fetched goal. Then again, beating Duke, UNC, and NC State at home last year was as well.

State is better than Syracuse this year.

Guessing we'll win 5 or 6. The time is now though, as the winnable games are happening in the next couple weeks.

FSU beat Clemson at Clemson the game before WF lost at Clemson; FSU then hung with UNC at UNC after WF got worked by UNC. Only Kentucky is bigger than FSU (#2 in the nation in effective height).

FSU sucks from 3 and from the line; they also turn the ball over. The game will be ugly, but the edge goes to the Noles.

They also lost to Pitt. I'd like to see Dinos get the start and give Dre and Devin some minutes together. Leonard's gone next year and they're basically a wash productivity-wise.

You can attribute this particular one to a slow day at my work.

I'm not sure we're even building for next year. I think the new guys coming in are going to be good but they will not be good enough to make us a post season team right off the bat. And then what experience we have from Buzz's magical class will be moving on. I'd say next year when we are half through a mediocre to bad season, if we have a great class coming in (Kwe, Giles), you can say we are building for next year. Best case scenario we are still years away.

I don't see any reason why we can't at least be in the hunt for a NCAA bid at this time next year. Obviously, the eventual goals should be a lot higher... but if we are something like 14-6 (4-3) instead of 9-11 (1-6) at this point, that will be more enjoyable.

I honestly think we are better than last year... we just had a much tougher schedule (to date) this year vs. last.

In our stretch of winnable games I was hoping for 2-1 and instead we're 0-3 to start. Yet one game went to OT and one took an epic meltdown to lose. Every game we have until UVA is winnable. I'd like to see us get to 7 ACC wins or better and land in the top 10 with some separation from the bottom 5. With the ACC having 6 or 7 ranked teams that would be legitimate progress, not just moral victory style progress.

I realize this is a far-fetched goal. Then again, beating Duke, UNC, and NC State at home last year was as well.

I think we had this discussion after the Louisville game... The thought was that we had 9 winnable games in a row after Duke. I suggested that 2-7 or 3-6 was the base case, with 4-5 being a great result (for this team, at least). You were going to be disappointed w/ 4-5.

At 1-3 so far, even 4-5 is looking like a stretch.

Last edited:
I don't see any reason why we can't at least be in the hunt for a NCAA bid at this time next year. Obviously, the eventual goals should be a lot higher... but if we are something like 14-6 (4-3) instead of 9-11 (1-6) at this point, that will be more enjoyable.

I honestly think we are better than last year... we just had a much tougher schedule (to date) this year vs. last.

We are definitely better than we were last year and I think that we will be pretty good next year, too.

Expectations for our incoming freshmen need to be tempered, but they will be supplementing (and, hopefully supplanting) our current rotation. We can also reasonably expect our guys to get better over the summer.

The key, IMO, is the extent to which our 2015 class improves between years one and two on campus. Pending this unknown, I think we are doing okay.

WF is better. WF is 1-3 in games decided by 4 points or less, and that does not include the blown late leads against L'ville and Duke or the Delaware State debacle. With just wins against Cuse and Clemson where WF had those games in hand, WF would 11-9 and 3-4 in the ACC with 5 winnable games on deck. Agree that WF contending for an NCAA bid is doable by next season.

Back